Need to Vent! - Travel Insurance!

MaryLS

Ive always taken the cruise lines insurance but the more I read, the more I think I should be dropping that and buying private insurance. Ive looked into it but the choices are staggering. On insuremytrip only two options apply for cancel for any reason and the higher priced one is only 18/each more than NCL insurance. Seems that would be the way to go!

Edited by dltvermont

Exactly what is the purpose of this thread? If people don't take insurance then they don't collect on insurance. The thread really makes no sense.

No they don’t, but they do come to these boards complaining about the heartless cruise lines who should make exceptions. I just read one this morning.

Exactly what is the purpose of this thread? If people don't take insurance then they don't collect on insurance. The thread really makes no sense.
The purpose of the thread was plainly laid out by the first three words of the thread title.

To be honest, in days gone by, I've gone back and forth on buying insurance for a major trip. Thankfully, I've never had to file a claim. In the end I always buy it because I fear the one time I don't will be the one time we need it. To us, the security and peace of mind offered by having insurance is well worth the couple hundred bucks. I'm sure there are instances where trip insurance claims were denied, but I've seen many, many stories where trip insurance saved somebody's bacon.

I don't begrudge people who don't want to spend the extra money, but the fact of the matter is that stuff happens. Sometimes you're completely prepared for the stuff, sometimes you're not. We all want to think it will never happen to us, and I get that. But as far as I'm concerned, if I can do something to guard against the possible impact of that stuff, I'm going to do it.

I have used the insurence once.

When Sandy hit New York and all airports had to close I was on my way to New York. Instead of arriving in New York on monday evening we arrived in Miami on tuesday evening. My insurence gave me around $800 because of the delay. Not a lots of money but still much more than what the insurence costed.

I agree whole heartedly. I have to share a story from my cruise last week that really irked me regarding insurance. I was in the hot tub in Spice H20 on the Escape last week with a lady who was older than myself (51) but younger than 65 from Detroit and an older gentleman from Canada. The gentleman from Canada asked us what we paid for health insurance. The lady from Detroit, who had previously stated that she cruises multiple times per year and was on her 4th or 5th Escape cruise, said she doesn't have health insurance. She is too young for Medicare and she is retired and doesn't work. She said she goes to free clinics for any medical care she needs. Although I kept my mouth shut this really irked me. How can someone afford to go on multiple cruises a year and then expect the tax payers to pick up all their medical costs when they go to a free clinic because they chose a cruise over medical insurance? GRR:mad:. I'm pretty positive she didn't have travel insurance either. DH and I are planning on retiring early in a couple years and one of the key costs we are planning on is medical insurance. If we couldn't cover that basic need then we wouldn't even think of retiring early.

We always get the travel insurance and have had to use it once due to a death in the family. It costs between 5-7% of the cruise and well worth the peace of mind. We choose to be responsible for our actions and not expect others to pick up our responsibilities for us because we are entitled to it :rolleyes:.

It's a risk analysis question. Your vent doesn't help anybody.

Don't tell me you buy insurance for everything in your life. It makes no sense.

I am not going to buy insurance for every vacation. People are responsible for their own risk analysis.

Let's say I book a last minute cruise that I am sure I am going to go, I am not going to pay extra to cover the cost of the cruise. Especially when I am young and healthy, embarking/disembarking from my hometown and not cruising on a hurricane season.

The only risk is if I get sick or injured on the trip. I don't care about trip protection. The risk is low and the reward is low. Not to mention a lot of credit cards like Chase Sapphire already comes with trip cancellation and interruption insurance for severe weather. So I usually only buy insurance for Accident Sickness Medical Expense and Emergency Evacuation. Also, you get compensation when there is flight delay/cancellation in Europe if it's not weather related. I made 1200 Eur from a delay once.

It's all about how much risk someone is comfortable in taking. Do your own math.

It's a risk analysis question. Your vent doesn't help anybody.

Don't tell me you buy insurance for everything in your life. It makes no sense.

I am not going to buy insurance for every vacation. People are responsible for their own risk analysis.

Let's say I book a last minute cruise that I am sure I am going to go, I am not going to pay extra to cover the cost of the cruise. Especially when I am young and healthy, embarking/disembarking from my hometown and not cruising on a hurricane season.

The only risk is if I get sick or injured on the trip. I don't care about trip protection. The risk is low and the reward is low. Not to mention a lot of credit cards like Chase Sapphire already comes with trip cancellation and interruption insurance for severe weather. So I usually only buy insurance for Accident Sickness Medical Expense and Emergency Evacuation.

It's all about how much risk someone is comfortable in taking. Do your own math.

The issue is not with people who make the choice to not insure and accepts the risk and responsibility for that choice if something happened. The issue is when someone makes the choice not to insure and then expects the cruise line or some one else to accept their risk and responsibility and cover their losses for them. It's not about how much risk a person is comfortable taking, it is about if that person will accept responsibility for that risk when/if it happens.

The issue is not with people who make the choice to not insure and accepts the risk and responsibility for that choice if something happened. The issue is when someone makes the choice not to insure and then expects the cruise line or some one else to accept their risk and responsibility and cover their losses for them. It's not about how much risk a person is comfortable taking, it is about if that person will accept responsibility for that risk when/if it happens.

The only thing they could do is to whine on a forum and learn the lesson.

However, I am just saying buying an umbrella insurance that covers everything for your cruise may not make sense for everybody. Do your own risk analysis and figure out what insurance and how much you need. It's the same as buying your insurance for your car. You wouldn't buy a comprehensive to cover your POS 1995 honda.

NCL needs to have a heart sometimes too. Not everyone can afford insurance.

If you can't afford insurance then you really can't afford to cruise, unless you are willing to gamble your cruise fare. If the lines listened to every sob story then why would any of us bother with insurance? Not being mean spirited, just realistic.

Sometimes I self insure. Most times I only buy the medical part of insurance.

Everyone that books a cruise can afford to buy the cruise. They bought it. They have paid for it and plan to spend more money once they travel.

What people have trouble dealing the most is when they are unable to take the cruise they paid for. That is an emotional cost, NOT a financial one. Actually, if they are unable to make the cruise, they will spend less money than they had budgeted for. (assumes they would spend extra on drinks, food, tours, stuff).

Medical issues can bankrupt folks and is a serious concern.

I think its because a lot of people go on the cruise ship FB pages and on here complaining that the cruiseline won't cut them an slack for their hardship.

While everyone has s story why they might need to cancel, and it might tug on your heart strings, its also not fair to those who purchase Travel Insurance. Many still want the exception and many don't understand what kind of problems that would put on the cruiseline.

I was one of those who would have considered myself young(well young-ish) and healthy. Until one day I learned I wasn't. I had issues that landed me in the ER one night and led to a diagnosis of cancer. I did actually have a non-cruise vacation planned with my mom and a niece for the week I had surgery, and mom had gotten travel insurance for the first time ever before I got sick, and she got the money she had paid out back.

So of course now I wouldn't travel without insurance. I realize people make their choices, but sometimes life smacks you out of the blue. Or it's not you personally, but a family member.

In the UK its usually a requirement of booking the cruise that we have insurance. We did a cruise a few years back from Southampton on HAL with friends from NJ. The cruise was booked in the UK, and our friends insisted there was no need for insurance, but I showed them the booking T & Cs confirming the requirement for insurance so they had to arrange it.

A close friend passed a way on a cruise. My FiL was evacuated from a cruise in Europe as a medical emergency due to a heart condition. Somebody else close died abroad in an accident (not cruise related). The insurance company arranged repatriation and paid for the legal action against the persons responsible. These things happen. Insurance doesn't make them go away, but at a time of great stress and distress it makes it easier to sort out the practicalities.

I think us Brits have a different outlook to Travel Insurance than Americans. No one travels without it. In fact it's getting more common to have an annual policy. I think our insurance is cheaper in comparison though. A family of 4 can easily get an annual worldwide policy for £100/$130.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check your perks on your credit card, my card does a travel insurance if the fare is bought with the card. It may not be as comprehensive as some of the rest, but for free it does cover right much. A lot of people may not be aware it is on their list of perks.

I think us Brits have a different outlook to Travel Insurance than Americans.

This is true. But things in America can be more mixed up. For instance, I have a credit card that covers trip cancellations (for instance, because of illness or extreme weather); it also reimburses for baggage or travel delays (like covering the hotel if you're delayed and have to stay the night). Of course, that doesn't take care of everything, like having to cancel for financial reasons, but it's something.

Those same people will buy insurance, not need it, then demand a refund of what they paid for insurance.

I have seen that more than once. And the folks that want to cancel the insurance just before the cruise to save money.

Sometimes you have to wonder what is going on in their head.

squick64 I see we are on the same roll call for Norway next year. It's very quiet on the roll call so far!

If worst happens, say a fatality on a privatre shore excursion, would of any of your insurances repatriate the person home or pay for the family's costs to stay behind to sort things out and then travel home? I'm interested to know, as I believe this would be covered as standard on a UK policy. Having seen at close hand what can happen, for piece of mind we have a worldwide annual policy and even though it has become quite expensive through age and medical histories I wouldn't feel safe without it, even going close by in Europe.

Completely agree! My husband and I never got insurance when we started cruising, but since we have our daughter now (who has a pre-existing condition) insurance is a MUST for us when cruising! Insurance is always cheaper than a enormous medical bill....better safe than sorry!

Completely agree! My husband and I never got insurance when we started cruising, but since we have our daughter now (who has a pre-existing condition) insurance is a MUST for us when cruising! Insurance is always cheaper than a enormous medical bill....better safe than sorry!

I like your Signature! (y)