Need to Vent! - Travel Insurance!

MaryLS

NCL needs to have a heart sometimes too. Not everyone can afford insurance.

Really?? You've got to be kidding. Sorry, but, NCL is not a charity and that cost will come out of REVENUE- cruise fares. I don't feel like paying from someone else.

I do self insure on my travels. I have only a comprehensive annual medical international policy. I accept the full risk of the other costs and you'll never see me, boo-hooing on message boards about any loss that I took the risk for.

Sure I have had losses. MY losses that I fully accept. But in my case- the benefit has been in my favor, significantly. so far. :)

If you can afford to lose the full amount of your cruise fare, air tickets and hotels plus pay for possible accidents/illness and everything associated with travel, then you don't need travel insurance. Like others on here have said, if you can't or don't buy insurance, you really shouldn't be going on a cruise or any other type of travel for that matter.

Good thread. When you do purchase "insurance" please be sure you know what you are insuring. "Trip Insurance" usually covers TRAVEL expenses related to cancelled or delayed travel, lost luggage, etc. Some credit cards offer this at no charge if you charge your travel on their card.

"Travel Health Insurance" is a different product. This covers you for HEALTH/ILLNESS related costs while you are traveling.

I just point this out so people understand that some companies will sell you "Trip Insurance" and "Travel Health Insurance" as one product. Others sell them as separate products. Know what you are buying.

fyi. On my most recent cruise, my mom got sick and spent 3 hours in the infirmary. The bill was $1200. Travel HEALTH insurance covered all but the $25 deductible.

If you can afford to lose the full amount of your cruise fare, air tickets and hotels plus pay for possible accidents/illness and everything associated with travel, then you don't need travel insurance. Like others on here have said, if you can't or don't buy insurance, you really shouldn't be going on a cruise or any other type of travel for that matter.

Andbody that buys a cruise can afford most of what you mentioned. What they can afford is

a) Unexpected and possibly expensive medical issues

and

b) The emotional part of not going on a cruise they have already paid for. They can afford all the travel part - hotels, air, cruise.

I can afford to loose the cruise fare, (which i have), lodging sometimes refundable, but insignificant as well. I don't pay for air. So in my case, I choose a comprehensive annual travel medical policy. I disagree with your claim, I "shouldn't be traveling", which I do every month, including 12 crusies this year. :)

I just cancelled my cruise from Barcelona due to the unrest (we were scheduled to leave tomorrow with 4 days in Barcelona before cruise) I’m afraid that since NCL hasn’t cancelled or changed ports my insurance won’t pay!! Airline gladly cancelled & refunded taxes,etc (we were using points). So why buy insurance?? What a bummer- been working on this trip since late February!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As our son was ready to board the plane to leave on his cruise, he got a message that his business partner was killed in a snowmobile accident. He immediatlely went back home to be with his partner's mourning family. Had it not been for his trip insurance, our son would have lost everything.

As our son was ready to board the plane to leave on his cruise, he got a message that his business partner was killed in a snowmobile accident. He immediatlely went back home to be with his partner's mourning family. Had it not been for his trip insurance, our son would have lost everything.

Lost everything?

They would have lost a cruise. Not everything.

I just cancelled my cruise from Barcelona due to the unrest (we were scheduled to leave tomorrow with 4 days in Barcelona before cruise) I’m afraid that since NCL hasn’t cancelled or changed ports my insurance won’t pay!! Airline gladly cancelled & refunded taxes,etc (we were using points). So why buy insurance?? What a bummer- been working on this trip since late February!

This seems overly cautious, but if you’re happy with decision more power to you I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm repeatedly reading about last minute illnesses, life-threatening situations, sickness while on the ship, etc. People continue to blast NCL for being unsympathetic and heartless because they won't permit a change in dates, refunds, free treatment in the infirmary, etc. FOLKS, YOU NEED TO PURCHASE TRAVEL INSURANCE! If you choose to try to save a few bucks and not purchase insurance, it is not NCL's job to reimburse you, allow date changes, treat you in then infirmary without charge, etc. because you chose to take a gamble and save a few bucks by not buying the insurance.

My only quibble is the need for cancellation insurance is not reciprocal.

Do you have cancel for "any reason" insurance??? That is probably the only policy that will pay and some of those are only a percentage of the cost. Did you verify with the insurance company BEFORE you canceled?

Just make sure the insurance is one that pays directly and not one you have to pay first , submit the receipt to get paid back

The ship’s medical department doesn’t file insurance - they want cash (well, they want your key card to charge it to your room). My wife and I both ended up in medical on our last cruise and we spent about $2000 before we disembarked. (Growing old is when your medical bill is higher than your bar tab.)

When we got home, we had to file a claim with our personal health insurance (through my employer), and we got some of the money reimbursed from them (the ship’s doctor was “out of network“) and then we had to file all the receipts and explanations of benefits with our travel insurance. After that, we were fully reimbursed but it took time, and it was all after we got home.

Honestly? It was one days unrest followed by a one day strike.

You can't expect NCL to reroute a cruise because of what's went on?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The purpose of the thread was plainly laid out by the first three words of the thread title.

I stick by my first comment.

What is the purpose of this thread? Why does someone feel the "Need to Vent" about people complaining about NCL insurance? If you don't want to know about it, skip that thread. :confused:

I stick by my first comment.

What is the purpose of this thread? Why does someone feel the "Need to Vent" about people complaining about NCL insurance? If you don't want to know about it, skip that thread. :confused:

In the same vein, why ask why? Why do you need to know? What difference does it make knowing why someone wants to vent? If you don't see the purpose, why not just skip the thread?

Why, why, why . . . it's just pointless.

BTW, the OP wasn't venting about people complaining about NCL insurance, they were venting about people who made a choice not to buy insurance complaining that NCL should assume that risk and cover their losses.

I don't think unreasonable panic to be grounds for reimbursement by the insurance company.

My insurance story: My wife and I were married in 2001 and had a Southern Caribbean honeymoon cruise scheduled. Her 12 yo daughter was diagnosed with lymphoma the month prior. We were still in the 50% refund zone. The person at RCCL was very apologetic as I am sure she was anticipating the pleading and begging to follow. I said no problem as I had insurance, I could hear the relief in her voice as she wished my stepdaughter the best. After providing a bit of documentation the insurance company reimbursed us promptly. My loss without insurance would have been $2K. We have insured every trip since land or sea.

P.S. My stepdaughter is almost 29 now and was inspired to enter the medical field by her 2 years of treatment and is a dialysis technician.