Roaming charges

kubies

Turn off data access or, if you don't know how to just do that, put the phone in Airplane Mode and then turn WiFi back on to access Princess@Sea. You won't be able to make phone calls (unless your phone supports WiFi calling) but you won't get hit with a huge roaming bill either.

i have tomible and an iphone. you will want to make sure you understand your plan form your mobile provider.

with my tmobile plan, my foreign ports on my future cruise are included in my plan, i can use my phone like i do at home with no extra charges, data and talk. not all plans act the same. (in my case i'm only going to ensenada and cell coverage in mexico is pretty much on par with US)

what i do is make sure data roaming is turned off. on the iphone, this is in settings>cellular>cellular data options

then i put my phone in airplane mode

then i specifically turn on wifi

this means my phoen i only using wifi.

princess@sea is no longer an app, you just open your browser to access it.

when we get close to a port, i usually wake up while we dock, I make sure data roaming is still off, then i turn off airplane mode. usually once you are docking you will be able to ping the land towers.

again i stress, this is my experience with tmobile and iphone.

If I change the settings on my cell phone to airplane mode will that eliminate roaming charges while I am at sea?
The simple answer is yes...

Turn off data access or, if you don't know how to just do that, put the phone in Airplane Mode and then turn WiFi back on to access Princess@Sea. You won't be able to make phone calls (unless your phone supports WiFi calling) but you won't get hit with a huge roaming bill either.
I don't know about your phone, but turning off data access on an iPhone will still allow incoming and outgoing calls. An iPhone with cellular data access turned off can still connect with the ship's cell tower at sea.

Kubies,

I do not normally say search when someone asks a question. But, right now, I am on my mobile and can’t link the appropriate thread. This issue was discussed in great detail on a recent thread where someone racked up $2k in roaming charges. That thread should help explain more than you even wanted to know.

Someone else will link the thread, I’m sure. Or, just hit up my recent posts since I chimed in and it will lead you to the thread.

Good luck. Paul

Name of thread is Princess LTE Fees are a Rip-off. Or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yours is a common question here because many come here to get answers to cruise related questions. The problem with asking that question here is that people have different phones and different carriers. Always ask the experts and those would be with your carrier so call them and ask.