Push the Issue or Let It Go?

Thanks for the insight! I will proceed with option A! In future years I just know to wait until about 6 weeks out to get the best pricing ;)

If it were that simple then no one would book early. I usually book 9+ months ahead and have never had a cruise price drop dramatically after that. In fact, on most the price only goes up. My next cruise is in April of 18. We booked in sept of 16 (it's a one way Hawaii that's offered once a year), its lowest price appeared in nov of 16 (luckily we were able to snag that). It eventually reached a price of $1,700 pp more than we paid. It's currently at $700 pp more than we paid but only guarantees available.

In your shoes I would be ecstatic that I had a balcony cabin for the price I expected to pay for an interior. The lost OBC is for your peace of mind in knowing that you had this cruise booked and were able to schedule vacation time at work and make the rest of your plans; knowing you had a price you were willing to pay locked in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the insight! I will proceed with option A! In future years I just know to wait until about 6 weeks out to get the best pricing ;)
Good Luck , but your thought on waiting till about six weeks out won't get you the "best pricing".

Pricing is per sailing specific. I have seen price differences of hundreds of dollars for the same itinerary, just a week earlier or later, so I do not think there is a guarantee of when to book to get the best price. If you are flexible, then I think booking later is better as you have the opportunity that if they are lagging in bookings for a particular sailing, they do discount.

Cruise lines do have contracts you agree to and again, sometimes they adhere to those terms and sometimes they make exceptions, my guess in relation to facts in the particular case. I would NOT hesitate to ask for something if I felt I was due it because of some change that the cruise line made or something they were in control of, so just because the contract says A, I have to accept A if there are some extenuating circumstances may not be true.

I actually think that if reasonable, customer service wants to help fix things, but that is just my opinion and experience.

Saying the above, fixing something is different than changing something due to a price reduction and trying to hang on to some OBC, etc., i.e. getting your cake and eating it too.

Pricing is per sailing specific. I have seen price differences of hundreds of dollars for the same itinerary, just a week earlier or later, so I do not think there is a guarantee of when to book to get the best price. If you are flexible, then I think booking later is better as you have the opportunity that if they are lagging in bookings for a particular sailing, they do discount.

Cruise lines do have contracts you agree to and again, sometimes they adhere to those terms and sometimes they make exceptions, my guess in relation to facts in the particular case. I would NOT hesitate to ask for something if I felt I was due it because of some change that the cruise line made or something they were in control of, so just because the contract says A, I have to accept A if there are some extenuating circumstances may not be true.

I actually think that if reasonable, customer service wants to help fix things, but that is just my opinion and experience.

Saying the above, fixing something is different than changing something due to a price reduction and trying to hang on to some OBC, etc., i.e. getting your cake and eating it too.

I agree, I also am not exclusive to Royal Caribbean so I tend to book last minute with whichever line has the best deal. I have done voyages with Carnival, MSC, Royal, and Norwegian. This past May I got an oceanview balcony on an Alaskan voyage with Norwegian for $650/pp + tax when booking three weeks out. To book that same week for the 2018 season, on the same ship, is $1739/pp + tax. That's more than I paid for two people. In many cases, I feel I have gotten the absolute rock bottom prices by waiting closer in to sailing. This was actually the furthest I have ever booked out for this November voyage that I booked in early July. I guess I wasn't expecting as many price drops over the holiday week! Lesson learned! :D