Escape Itinerary times vs "local time"

MrsWhite831

We were re-routed to Cozumel on 11/8/17 on the Escape. Our itinerary says arrive 11am, depart 7pm. Will our ship time be the same as local time?

I'm trying to book a private tour and she wants to meet at 11am, which I'm not sure would be possible- trying to get off a boat with 4000 other people ;p

Thank you for the help!

I guess private tour operators are aware of ship’s arrival time and would reasonably wait for its booked customers to disembark.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed! It's more an issue of the places that we're visiting closing early and affecting the tour.

We were re-routed to Cozumel on 11/8/17 on the Escape. Our itinerary says arrive 11am, depart 7pm. Will our ship time be the same as local time?

I'm trying to book a private tour and she wants to meet at 11am, which I'm not sure would be possible- trying to get off a boat with 4000 other people ;p

Thank you for the help!

NCL matches local time. You will arrive at 11:00 and unless you have to tender will be ashore by 11:15 - 11:30.

NCL matches local time.

Except when they don't, and I've been on a couple of NCL cruises when they didn't. The most common itineraries where they don't always switch to local time are Western Caribbean and Canada/New England.

On Western Caribbean itineraries it happens because some countries observe Daylight Savings Time and some do not. Depending on the order in which the port calls are being made, switching to local time in all ports could result in the clocks being set ahead and back repeatedly on consecutive days, so they choose not to use local time in every port to avoid continual time changes.

I'm not suggesting this particular cruise will be one where the ship won't go to local time. I'm merely pointing out that they don't always do it.

Except when they don't, and I've been on a couple of NCL cruises when they didn't. The most common itineraries where they don't always switch to local time are Western Caribbean and Canada/New England.

On Western Caribbean itineraries it happens because some countries observe Daylight Savings Time and some do not. Depending on the order in which the port calls are being made, switching to local time in all ports could result in the clocks being set ahead and back repeatedly on consecutive days, so they choose not to use local time in every port to avoid continual time changes.

I'm not suggesting this particular cruise will be one where the ship won't go to local time. I'm merely pointing out that they don't always do it.

My travel agent said the same thing, that we won't know until we get on board. I sent an email to NCL hoping they will know in advance so I can let this woman know for sure.

Thanks for the replies!

I have dealt with this before by making it clear that I did not know for sure if the times on our itinerary were local, or EST/EDT (depending on time of year.) I always assume local and hope for the best but ask them to try to verify locally with the port. If you can find an official port calendar maintained by the port authority you can find the ship times there. Often the arrival time is one hour before the itinerary time on these calendars because the ship arrives and needs an hour of docking or anchoring/tender setup time. So it's an investigation of clue finding.

Having just returned from the Escape a couple of weeks ago, I can confirm you go back an hour in the Western Caribbean. They will place a little card in your room advising you to set your clock back so you will be on local time in Cozumel.

Thank you! That how it was when we were in Cozumel years ago, I'm not sure how (or if) daylight savings time will affect it, since our clock changes just 3 days before.