Cancelling our cruise

gelfy666

Just before i ring P&O and speak to them I thought I'd ask here.

We booked a cruise on the 19th September and paid our deposit, since then things have unfortunately changed and looks as though we will not be able to go now.

Will we lose our deposit or do they have a 30 day change your mind policy, couldn't see what I was looking for.

I'm sorry you are having to cancel your cruise :(

I expect you have already made the call by now (if not, the answer from me is that I expect you will lose your deposit, although you might be allowed to move your booking to a later cruise - of the same or higher value - for a lower penalty), please will you come back and let us know what happened? It could be useful for other CC members.

No not rung them yet, my job looks like it's finishing, so not sure if I can justify or come up with the rest of my balance or not 🙁.

Did wonder if I'd be allowed to transfer deposit to a cheaper cruise.

Don't want to over stretch things just in case.

No if you cancel your cruise and ask to move it to a cheaper cruise. They only allow you to move to another cruise if you booked under Select fare and even then it has to be at same value or higher and they charge £100 admin charge. So unfortunately it looks like you will be losing your deposit as you wouldnt be covered by travel insurance either.

No not rung them yet, my job looks like it's finishing, so not sure if I can justify or come up with the rest of my balance or not 🙁.

Did wonder if I'd be allowed to transfer deposit to a cheaper cruise.

Don't want to over stretch things just in case.

Could you not claim back your deposit through your insurance. When I was made redundant I sent a letter from my employer to our insurance company stating that my job had ended. Fortunately I recouped my whole deposit back. Worth a try.

Cancellation by guest comes under clause 38 of Booking Conditions. You lose your deposit on cancellation from the date you booked until 91 days before departure. After that you are charged 50% for 90 -57 days, 60% for 56-42 days, 75% for 41-16 days, 90% for 15-6 days and 100% for fewer than 6 days on Select Fare and Early Saver tariffs. Saver fare is 100% charge for cancellation at any time including not turning up. Percentage is calculated on whole cruise fare.

You can claim against your Travel Insurance policy for issues covered under the policy agreement. There is an unexpected pregnancy clause to move into an acceptable date under sailing conditions by the way.

Regards John

As we've only just booked it I hadn't sorted the insurance yet, strange you can't move to a more affordable cruise, they'll still be getting our custom then.

Yes it does seem a bit mean, but you can only transfer to another cruise of equal or greater value and it has to be within 12 months of the cruise you booked. If you explain your circumstances I am sure that they will waive the £100 alteration fee as they have discretion on that.