port of Samana DR.

realnurse2

We were there in February 2015 and enjoyed port immensely. Very brief tender. Booked Tour with Terry, based on good Trip Adviser reviews. We were transported up the mountain by guided jeep tour to exilerating zip line experience. Tour included visit to Tree House villages near waterfall. Overall, a lovely day in a relaxing port with great natural beauty and friendly locals.

Is there a link to information on the port of Samana(substitute for San Juan ) ? How long does the tender take? Any info appreciated! Thanks.

We were there on the Pdam a few years ago. years ago?) I don’t remember it being a long tender ride at all. The port (at that time) was just a small dock, no terminal building. There was a small building selling drinks right there. Across the street there was construction starting for a large hotel. Our tour guide picked us up right there on the street a few feet from the dock. There was a small band playing and a few ladies in dresses dancing for tips. At the end of our tour, the guide gave choices as to dropping us off “in town” so we could walk through the local crafts tents selling things or bring us back to the dock. We got off at the tents to browse and it was just a 5 minute walk back to the dock. We really enjoyed our day there.

We too went with Terry but did a full day cultural tour to a locals house, cigar making demo, lunch at a beach, and swimming at the waterfall. We really enjoyed it. We were scheduled to visit a school but it was closed for a holiday. We had taken school supplies to donate and so Terry kept them to deliver later.

Edited by beachdreaming
Add

Our tender experience was like retiretwo's and one of Krazy Kruisers' -- a longish ride. And if I remember correctly the trip back to the ship took longer because the ship had relocated.

There is a forum for DR on CC here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=374

You'll probably have to do a search for Samana info there, since most of the recent DR threads seem to be about Amber Cove

I think our tender ride was closer to 20 minutes than 10 minutes. I remember it being very hot, and having very little shade on the walk between the dock and the town. We didn't book a tour, just walked around. The market was mostly the same old, same old. But then I found a stall with handmade jewelry and got a beautiful larimar pendant, which made the trudge in the heat worthwhile.

We got up early for the sail into Samana Bay and saw whales.

Highly recommend Tours with Terry. We did an ATV tour and it was very good. We were immersed in the local culture and had a great lunch on a beach. I did not feel comfortable walking too far into town on my own. Tender ride was pretty much like all the others.

I think Samana is an underappreciated port. Probably not the best for repeated visits, but my traveling companion took a tour inland away from the port and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. Third World in many respects, but the people were welcoming and friendly. We visited a shop where cigars were being made and it was interesting to watch the process, even as a non-smoker. I don't recall that the tender ride was unusually long. The landing dock during our second visit had been improved (which it needed to be) as compared to our first visit.