Amasonata Basel Debarkation Question

TikiIslandGirl

Hello, thinking about taking the AmaSonata from Amsterdam to Basel 12/2-12/09 2017. I have a question and have emailed my TA but probably won't hear back until Monday. I was looking at the itinerary and it looks like AMA sails into Basel overnight from Breisach. Does anyone know about what time they dock and what is the earliest time does ama recommends for a flight from Basel? Thanks with any help

I'd love to help but constructively suggest that you defer making flight plans until you [yes; AMA Customer service will respond to your inquiries even if you've booked through a Travel Agent] or your Travel Agent has opportunity to speak with them...

I did roughly consecutive cruises with AMA--one of which was the reverse of yours [basel to Amsterdam; also on AmaSonata (loved it)]--back in May/June and found that they did not provide anticipated arrival and departure times for intermediate and final docking locations until cruise documents were issued about four weeks prior to sailing date... To some extent I can understand that as travel times may vary with tides/water levels, anticipated river traffic, and staffing hours for locks... That said, I anticipate that they can provide you with a fairly accurate estimate of your arrival time in Basel based upon normative data...

When I disembarked in Amsterdam, I was off the boat/in route to Schipol at 5:45 AM [which was the earliest transfer--based upon flight times--for those then aboard]... But then, we'd arrived in Amsterdam the prior morning and had overnighted there...

Based upon the dailies for both cruises--I first did a Danube cruise from Vilshofen to Budapest--it seems to me that AMA generally schedules disembarkation following breakfast with a goal that all guests are cleared from the boat by 9:00 AM... Depending upon your arrival time, there would certainly be no reason that you could not disembark earlier...

By all means, check!

Edited by Xport

You might want to check and see if there are any non-stops from Zurich to your final destination (Houston?). You can get a train from Basel to the Zurich airport. The trip takes about 70-90 minutes. If it's the difference between a non-stop and 1 or 2 stops, it would be worth taking the train.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Still deciding what to do. Fuel science-hubby works for united so have to work around that. I can fly out of Zurich with one stop into houston but flight leaves at 10:05 so would have to catch a early train out of Basel . If I buy a ticket on British Airways out of Basel to Heathrow (right now only $75) I can catch a direct from LHR to houston. I thought that might be easier and there are more flights from LHR, I'm also considering just extending my trip as I would like to see Switzerland. Hubby is more than likely going to change jobs right after this trip so this is probably the last time I can travel as a employee. So need to make the most of it!!!!