MSC Meraviglia: [emoji324]My Solo birthday adventure! [emoji324]

Bra_BE2014

It was finally sunny again, so I spent my morning sunbathing by the one pool while enjoying prime views of the Vesuvius.

The one pool had salt water but was warmed up to a pleasant temperature. Also the showers by the pool had warm water, which was a nice touch.

a3b1a6da88c3d443b39beb33a5405f09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The newspaper service in YC was also one of my favourite features. It was a great way to fully disconnect from the internet while keeping in touch with the news of the world.

They had 3 options of newspapers from Belgium and I selected de standaard.

436d250889a521fedec03be4ebf2f1fa.jpg

YC has its own Swarovski stairs at deck 16, where the concierge desk is.

After much lounging about and doing nothing it was dinner time again. I particularly enjoyed the Asparagus mousse

281e1660e1bef0867617552d84dc55ba.jpg

Then ravioli

c6d5780050176940c91fe96525e6a929.jpg

And chocolate soufflé with creme anglaise

565570515fa2bea6984310e4a7373ac9.jpg

After dinner, I went to watch a show.

The shows were available several times during the week, in different time slots. I pre-booked all my shows on the interactive screens but theatre staff was hit or miss- sometimes they scanned cards to check for reservations and other times they didn’t.

5d7d4961607ff6edaa3d05bac6004464.jpg

What a lovely Birthday surprise, P. When first you mentioned that the butler blocked your access to the room I was taken aback. However, it all became clear later. :cool:

The crystal staircases make such a difference. The stairs were carpeted when we were onboard - it just wasn't the same. It was dull and dark. So glad MSC copped on and realised their mistake.

What a lovely Birthday surprise, P. When first you mentioned that the butler blocked your access to the room I was taken aback. However, it all became clear later. :cool:

The crystal staircases make such a difference. The stairs were carpeted when we were onboard - it just wasn't the same. It was dull and dark. So glad MSC copped on and realised their mistake.

Yes, it was the nicest surprise!

I kind of expected a b-day card on the desk, but the gift and decorations were such a nice thought.

The stairs really made the YC more luxurious, I loved it.

How was your Magnifica cruise? I want to cruise as much as you when I grow up [emoji4]

Regarding the slow dining... can't you just tell them that you like a faster pace? Every cruise we go n, the very first night at dinner we inform our waiters that we prefer a faster pace, and they've never disappointed. We're usually done in less than 90 minutes, including multiple courses!

Regarding the slow dining... can't you just tell them that you like a faster pace? Every cruise we go n, the very first night at dinner we inform our waiters that we prefer a faster pace, and they've never disappointed. We're usually done in less than 90 minutes, including multiple courses!

That’s a good idea, I might do just that next time.

I didn’t really feel compelled to ‘complain’ because it was pretty clear that it wasn’t the waiters being slow, but rather people holding them up with conversations. My waiter had around 6 tables under his care from what I could see and I could hear him trying to excuse himself but people would say ‘wait until the end of the story’ or something like that.

Incredibly frustrating.

That’s a good idea, I might do just that next time.

I didn’t really feel compelled to ‘complain’ because it was pretty clear that it wasn’t the waiters being slow, but rather people holding them up with conversations. My waiter had around 6 tables under his care from what I could see and I could hear him trying to excuse himself but people would say ‘wait until the end of the story’ or something like that.

Incredibly frustrating.

OMG I hate this stupid american habit to talk to waiter,ask him stupid questions like-how many kids you have? how long you work here? :rolleyes: do you miss your home? AAAA just order and let him go.

Aww! The balloons are really sweet !!!

Did you let them know, that it was your b-day or did they find out "on their own" :-) ???

Your review is still lovely btw !!!

Nooo, I didn’t tell anyone, not even to my travel agent. I was scared they would sing in the restaurant if I said it, lol

They discovered themselves, FBI style, hahaha

DAY 3 - Messina (2/10/17)

I decided to do zero research for this port and, for once, be surprised by whatever I came across in my city center excursion.

Originally, I wanted to do Taormina or a beach excursion but they were both sold out. The weather forecast was cloudy with possibility of rain, so I didn’t mourn the missed opportunity too much.

So I hopped on the bus bright and early for my 3,5 hour tour.

My first picture as a 40-year old, lol

30e55b55d21d585e1cad771a6919d439.jpg

I’m not into selfies but I wanted to register my new eyebrows, lol, I had done them in the Ship’s Spa the evening before as a birthday treat (it was needed, lol) and it was only €8.

Anyway, I digress, sorry [emoji12]

With all due respect to Messina, I wasn’t terribly impressed. We did pass by some pretty lakes but that was pretty much it.

efca2e4662e68985c2a9510136217488.jpg

After circulating through the outskirts of Messina we drove back to the center to visit the cathedral and it was then that I realised how close the ship docked to the center

4fa71ca54ab8cc268f76fcf3849b49b3.jpg

The cathedral and the tower

9f7755b3dd81119f16a213edd040031f.jpg

651411a1a799e62961e4bf304becae72.jpg

Nooo, I didn’t tell anyone, not even to my travel agent. I was scared they would sing in the restaurant if I said it, lol

They discovered themselves, FBI style, hahaha

:confused::confused: My birthday will be on board as well.... Same concern here!

During the bus tour, the guide recommended to have a ‘granita’, which is a type of icey ice cream, if that makes sense.

So I used my free time to sample a chocolate and almond granita accompanied by a brioche

3b8f2d4dc1175231b8acaa8ab5c365cb.jpg

The highlight of the tour was at 12’ o clock when the tower was supposed to put on a show!

The tower had some golden statues and the lion was supposed to roar, the rooster would sing (Whatever the word is for what they do, lol) and then the song ‘Ave Maria’ would play while the golden statues moved.

I recorded some of it, but its not letting me upload it with the app, I’ll try from home!

It was beautiful and I’m so happy I could see it!

This night was also the first ‘Elegance’ night and I was looking forward to a nice menu at the restaurant.

I didn’t really bring any clothes considered ‘gala’ so I did my best with what I had

abe09641314b8999dd136e0739e0cf1a.jpg

I don’t think I ever took so many selfies in my whole life. I promise I’ll stop [emoji23]

Dinner didn’t disappoint:

3ade5a6dffcb1f6869dc0f7c3a3864d7.jpg

482128c1be973a4b96a850b0d5f4bb1c.jpg

I had no room for desert so I ate some of the strawberries they left at my cabin earlier

6a4f95349c51df6445f02f66f5871637.jpg

One person braving the Gym at night

9cb2b696b0a031267d0a4df9fd0ae023.jpg

Speaking of Gym, you had to sign a form to be allowed to attend classes or use the equipment.

I did sign it because I like to kid myself, lol

They pit a stamp on your cruise card with a sticker of a weight to show your papers were in order

e9f18e23b692629717bcf87c0f4494f7.jpg

Only time I set foot on the gym was to sign the papers, hahahaha!

Shopping stands

0c8170116438281001593a60889344ff.jpg

Then it was show time, ‘Virtual’ was my favourite of all the show, very creative

29d87dcb5dcf478ddb0e59f98def746b.jpg

I decided to have a nightcap before going to sleep and it was a delicious cosmopolitan

3c3530e340a36c33c4989099c4a84222.jpg

Next up: Valetta otherwise known as the day I lost my cool.