Ship Tours

pthjudy

We haven’t done ship tours for many years. Private tours always seemed the way to go. We are booked on the Star to Hawaii in February. Many years ago we visited the Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu. DH really wants to go again. Princess offers a tour there and it seems our best option. My questions: Will prices be higher once onboard? If I book before boarding will they take the expenditure from our OBC, of which we have almost $800? And lastly, I promise, has anyone done this tour? Thanks in advance for your help.

My questions: Will prices be higher once onboard? No way to tell ahead of time. It depends on how well it's selling. If you wait, it could also be sold out.

If I book before boarding will they take the expenditure from our OBC, of which we have almost $800? Yes.

And lastly, I promise, has anyone done this tour? Thanks in advance for your help.

Can't answer the last question, however, before you book with Princess check out Google for Private Companies that do this excursion or one of the ones that tailor the excursion to your interests. Princess excursions are almost always more $$ and more crowded.

You could even take a taxi or a bus (if the bus goes near where you want to go) and save a LOT of $$.

We haven’t done ship tours for many years. Private tours always seemed the way to go. We are booked on the Star to Hawaii in February. Many years ago we visited the Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu. DH really wants to go again. Princess offers a tour there and it seems our best option. My questions: Will prices be higher once onboard? If I book before boarding will they take the expenditure from our OBC, of which we have almost $800? And lastly, I promise, has anyone done this tour? Thanks in advance for your help.

If Princess is requiring pre-payment for shores excursions for you cruise, then you would have to pay by credit card to book and would not be able to use onboard credit.

I've seen prices for popular tours increase when the cruise begins; you can use your OBC to pay to pre-reserve tours.

You might want to ask this question on the Hawaii ports forum. I haven't gone to the PCC in decades but if I recall correctly PCC may have a transportation option available. I don't know how the prices compare but research may provide an answer to which is your best option.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

I have never seen them raise the prices from the pre-cruise to the on-board bookings. However, I have seen some tours sell out before the cruise begins, and I have been forced to take my second (or even third) choice tours. So book as soon as you determine that you want it.

I've seen prices for popular tours increase when the cruise begins; you can use your OBC to pay to pre-reserve tours.

You might want to ask this question on the Hawaii ports forum. I haven't gone to the PCC in decades but if I recall correctly PCC may have a transportation option available. I don't know how the prices compare but research may provide an answer to which is your best option.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

They have used OBC when I booked tours in advance on the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never seen them raise the prices from the pre-cruise to the on-board bookings. However, I have seen some tours sell out before the cruise begins, and I have been forced to take my second (or even third) choice tours. So book as soon as you determine that you want it.

I have seen them raise prices on tours and transfers when on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this tour several years ago with Princess. We were concerned that it would be difficult to get back to the ship on time after the evening show at the pcc. In fact, the ship had to wait for us as we arrived after final boarding. I don’t know the timing of your departure, but this was our worry and experience. We really enjoyed the tour

We just got back from our Hawaii cruise last Sunday (10/8/17). We took the Princess "Polynesian Cultural Center and Hawaiian Luau" Excursion (HNL300). This included the bus to the PCC, a guided tour of the PCC followed by the Luau and then the evening Polynesian review show. It is a LONG excursion - departed at 12:00 Noon and got back to the ship at 10:30 PM. The PCC tour takes a LOT of walking - think of Disneyland where each of the "lands" is one of the six Polynesian islands. it covers 42 Acres. You walk from Island to Island and sit for a short presentation at each island. Each presentation is done very well. I suspect that wouldn't be much of a problem in Hawaii's normal moderate climate- but when we were there, they were suffering a heat wave in the upper 80s with humidity. It really is interesting, though. The "Luau" was "meh..." Really just a buffet dinner with a Hawaiian theme imparted by the venue decorations and the accompanying show. Finally, was the Polynesian review show. THIS was impressive. Two hours of Hula, war dancing, fire walking, burning baton twirling and GREAT acting! The PCC is associated with the Hawaii campus of Brigham Young University. The place is staffed almost entirely by the BYU students, most of whom are culturally Polynesian. The evening Review show in and of itself is indicative of what must be a top notch Theater Arts program at the college.