Is a photo release needed to make copies?

pal2pluto

I know it was years ago, but it used to be that you had to have a signed release from the cruise line if you wanted to make copies of any photos you bought. For example...... Cruise line took a great family shot, when you get home, other extended family wants copies. To get them made, you had to show a cruise line photo release form. Is that still the case? I haven't heard anyone discuss it lately. I have a camera shy teenage son that I'm hoping to get a great formal picture to duplicate.

As a hobbyist photographer If you bought the photo from Carnival then you can make limited amount of copies for personal use only but not mass produce for distribution for sale and/or profit from selling the photos. You also can not post the photo online stating that you took the photo or take credit for taking the photo in any circumstances..

Used to be a short while back that if you tried to copy a picture (like on a scanner or copier) the special paper they used would impart a printing across the photo so it wouldn't come out.

Does this not occur anymore? Just don't want someone buying pics thinking they can take home and scan or copy. Maybe they changed this since it has been a while since I even paid attention when buying pics.

There are some (WalMart comes to mind) that refuses to copy or scan professionally-looking pictures without a release. Makes it hard when you're trying to copy your own 8th grade school pictures from 45 years ago, and you have no idea if the photo company that took the picture is still around.

There are some (WalMart comes to mind) that refuses to copy or scan professionally-looking pictures without a release. Makes it hard when you're trying to copy your own 8th grade school pictures from 45 years ago, and you have no idea if the photo company that took the picture is still around.

Not hard at all -- expand you shopping experience -- go somewhere other than Walmart!

We've scanned all our cruise photos with no problem. I remember they used to have a notice that scanning would cause that print to be all across your photo. Not true - apparently a scare tactic, as we have scanned them since our first cruise in 2003. After scanning, we've been able to upload and use for family calendars and even had a canvas printed of one of them.

We've scanned all our cruise photos with no problem. I remember they used to have a notice that scanning would cause that print to be all across your photo. Not true - apparently a scare tactic, as we have scanned them since our first cruise in 2003. After scanning, we've been able to upload and use for family calendars and even had a canvas printed of one of them.

Ooohhh, I knew I had seen the notice, never tried myself. You must be right - just a scare tactic to get you to buy from them.

When we sailed last month on the Vista, I forgot to buy the family photo! The very last night, in the middle of packing, I remembered! I was so happy to find out that I could buy a digital copy ($5 cheaper than the print!). On the Vista, you can view/purchase using the Hub app!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bought photos from my Conquest cruise in August, took them to CVS and made copies of them, no problem at all. Did not need any kind of release.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

We took pictures on our last cruise the summer before my oldest son's senior year of high school. They were so good, we used one as his senior photo. No problems - took the print I bought to Walgreens and had the copies made. I had the release on hand just in case, but they never asked because I did it at the self serve kiosk.

My wife and I had a portrait done at the Dreams studio on Conquest and we opted for the digital copy on the USB flash drive that is shaped like a cruise ship. They included a release on the flash drive so we were able to make as many copies as we wanted when we got home. No idea what the policy is for buying hard copies of their photos. We got a couple of the regular Pixels pictures too but I never needed copies of those so didn't look into it.