Passport for 8 yro ????

kdnurs

If an 8 year old is flying from US to Europe to sail on a RCI ship, is a birth certificate okay or is a passport required? Is it a rule for these types of sailing "EVERYONE" must have a passport no matter the age??? Thanks

If an 8 year old is flying from US to Europe to sail on a RCI ship, is a birth certificate okay or is a passport required? Is it a rule for these types of sailing "EVERYONE" must have a passport no matter the age??? Thanks

Everyone flying to Europe will need a passport so, yes, your 8 year old must have a passport.

Thank you both!!!! I just thought about this and needed to ask. All the adults have passports but since we have never done travel outside the US we didn't know. Thank goodness for the CC Board Friends :-)

Make sure you check the adults passports and the requirements for the countries you are going to, you will likely need to have at least 6 months left on all passports.

Make sure you check the adults passports and the requirements for the countries you are going to, you will likely need to have at least 6 months left on all passports.

Thanks for this tip!!! 3 of us are renewing our passports for that reason...I appreciate all the help I can get. This is sooooooo new to me.

I should also add for the OP, that it doesn't matter WHY you are going to Europe (you mentioned specifically that it's for a RC cruise). The "cruise with just a birth certificate" loop hole only applies to US-based closed loop cruises, so even if you had some way to get to Europe (ex. a one way cruise) that didn't involve flying, you'd need to have passports to get there, regardless of what you were doing upon arrival.

Also remember a child's passport is only good for 5 years until they reach age 16. If you do not live near a passport office, the best places to get a new passport is the post office. As long as you have your paperwork filled out, they will take the picture and then mail the documents right there. I would also call and make an appointment, as some post office do not do passport all the time. Enjoy your trip to Europe.

Make sure both parents are present as well or they will not accept the application for the 8 year old.

Oh my...what happens if there is only 1 parent PERIOD and the grandparents have custody? Do the grandparents need to get the passport or does the 1 parent? orrrrrr do they all need to be present..This has never happened before, but then again we never traveled outside US either...my tummy is in knotts now:confused:

Also remember a child's passport is only good for 5 years until they reach age 16. If you do not live near a passport office, the best places to get a new passport is the post office. As long as you have your paperwork filled out, they will take the picture and then mail the documents right there. I would also call and make an appointment, as some post office do not do passport all the time. Enjoy your trip to Europe.

THANK YOU!!!! :hearteyes:

Oh my...what happens if there is only 1 parent PERIOD and the grandparents have custody? Do the grandparents need to get the passport or does the 1 parent? orrrrrr do they all need to be present..This has never happened before, but then again we never traveled outside US either...my tummy is in knotts now:confused:

Most towns have a passport office, which is usually a post office. Just go to the office, and ask your questions. They will tell you the legal documents you need etc. Once you find out, than gather what you need, and go get the passport.

I just went through this with my 1 year old grandson. My husband and I have legal custody of the baby and we needed to get his passport. We submitted the certified copy of the court order and the birth certificate. The person who took the paperwork didn't want to accept the paperwork and I insisted that she process the paperwork. Both my attorney and the Judge said that this document would be all we needed. The clerk took the paperwork reluctantly and two weeks later we had the passport for the baby and a couple of days later we had all the original paperwork.

I just went through this with my 1 year old grandson. My husband and I have legal custody of the baby and we needed to get his passport. We submitted the certified copy of the court order and the birth certificate. The person who took the paperwork didn't want to accept the paperwork and I insisted that she process the paperwork. Both my attorney and the Judge said that this document would be all we needed. The clerk took the paperwork reluctantly and two weeks later we had the passport for the baby and a couple of days later we had all the original paperwork.

Donna is correct. In situations where an individual has been granted custody through court order, the adult only needs a certified original copy of the court order plus birth certificate. Also, make sure that you have an original long form copy of the birth certificate. The birth certificate has to be issued by a state, county or municipality. Hospital birth certificates are not valid to apply for a passport. The originals will be submitted, along with one photocopy of each, with the passport application. The originals will be returned separately from the new passport.

Michael

This is not true. I have taken multiple cruises with my kids while my husband stayed home. I have never been asked for anything other than a passport for them.

Actually you have just been lucky! If you should be asked to present this authorization from the missing parent and you don't have it available they will deny your boarding. I spend way to much money to be denied boarding and ALWAYS take the free notarized letter from the missing parent. That's just me!!

Actually you have just been lucky! If you should be asked to present this authorization from the missing parent and you don't have it available they will deny your boarding. I spend way to much money to be denied boarding and ALWAYS take the free notarized letter from the missing parent. That's just me!!

^^^^This! I traveled as a single parent with my son several times when he was a minor. (He's 19 now.) I always took a notarized letter from his father giving permission for me to take him out of the country. I had full custody and my son had a passport. I was never asked to show the letter, but would never have left without it. RCCL does state this is required, and I've read on these boards of times when someone was asked to provide the letter when boarding. I just wouldn't take the chance!

Ruth

^^^^This! I traveled as a single parent with my son several times when he was a minor. (He's 19 now.) I always took a notarized letter from his father giving permission for me to take him out of the country. I had full custody and my son had a passport. I was never asked to show the letter, but would never have left without it. RCCL does state this is required, and I've read on these boards of times when someone was asked to provide the letter when boarding. I just wouldn't take the chance!

Ruth

The only cases I have ever heard of people being asked for a letter is when last names differ. I have the same last name as my kids so it doesnt raise any red flags. I guess I have been lucky, as well as many friends, with multiple cruise lines. :confused:

You would need to bring the custody order. Remember, it's for the childs safety because of parental kidnappings of children out of the country. The same thing applied when my kids brought friends. I needed notarized letter from both parents. Since her mother used her maiden name I also brought her birth certificate just in case to show the names of both parents.