Lack of library on Koningdam

bobmcdonld

I have a kindle but very rarely use it to read books....call me old fashioned but i much much prefer to peruse books in a proper library and read a paper book. The library on Prinsendam is one of the best and seems to be one of the most heavily used places on the entire ship.

Fortunately there are still a few Holland ships that have good libraries but their days may be numbered unless enough passengers express displeasure with the current HAL trend.

I have a kindle but very rarely use it to read books....call me old fashioned but i much much prefer to peruse books in a proper library and read a paper book. The library on Prinsendam is one of the best and seems to be one of the most heavily used places on the entire ship.

I'm curious what you use your Kindle for if not to read books? It's not designed to do much else. (But in my opinion it does its intended job very well....)

I'm a book editor and I love my Kindle. For a while after I first purchased it, I was still about half and half, but now the only books I really prefer to read "on paper" are travel guides due to the need to flip back and forth between sections quite often.

i use my kindle to check my email and surf the web while ashore at internet cafes...much easier to carry around than a laptop....the only time i use it to read books is on airplanes and other places with poor lighting....

During a recent "Ask The Captain" session on board the Koningsdam during July, the captain said the ship is due its first guarantee dry docking in November 2018.

During dry docking they plan to introduce a proper library. This announcement got a round of applause from the audience.

During a recent "Ask The Captain" session on board the Koningsdam during July, the captain said the ship is due its first guarantee dry docking in November 2018.

During dry docking they plan to introduce a proper library. This announcement got a round of applause from the audience.

That is great news!!

Great news indeed....now for some deck chairs on the Lower Prom.

Too bad the library will not be in place until November, 2018. It will not help us on our March, 2018 transatlantic crossing. We are 4* who tried the Celebrity Constellation for a transatlantic several years ago. The elimination of the library was only part of our disappointment with Celebrity. We know there will be no library on the K'Dam so we will bring our loaded Kindle and iPad Mini (we are a mixed household). We have always enjoyed HAL's library, but we could see the lack of commitment to a library on our April, 2017 transatlantic on the Zuiderdam.

:) Very glad to read that HAL is listening to their customers about putting a proper library on the Koningsdam. :loudcry::loudcry: BUT we are still unhappy with the "promenade." We were on the "K" in December. This is NOT a typical HAL ship. We have to stay out of the sun as much as possible. There is NO PLACE on The K where one can be in the shade in a quiet area, watch and listen to the ocean. I even asked the front desk and they couldn't come up with a spot. Won't be on it again. Just got off the Prinsendam. That is a WONDERFUL HAL ship. :):)

I agree. Not having deck chairs on the prom deck is just plain wrong. Sitting by a pool ten or so decks up is not the same at all as sitting in a nice shady area close to the ocean in peace and quiet. I probably average at least five hours or so per day sitting on the prom...LOVE the Pdam prom with chairs on the side and also aft area.

I love my local library! I put books on hold long before they are out, and rarely ever buy a book. I read way too fast! But in vacation, I love my kindle, easy to pack and take on the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is NOT a typical HAL ship. ...Won't be on it again.
I think the K belongs in the Celebrity fleet with all its white/gray/black/chrome and modern art instead of brass and traditional nautical art and antiques. We won't sail her again either despite many new features we do like, especially the Grand Dutch Cafe. Edited by catl331

I love my local library! I put books on hold long before they are out, and rarely ever buy a book. I read way too fast! But in vacation, I love my kindle, easy to pack and take on the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love books in any format, but yes, on vacation I love my kindle. I have a Kindle Paperwhite and I load it up before leaving home. I never run out of reading material, I can change the font size and type to suit myself, and because it has a built-in light, I can read in bed without disturbing Mr Giraffe. A number of posters have mentioned using their Kindles for email and surfing the web; for anyone who doesn't know, they're probably referring to a Kindle Fire, which is more like a tablet than an e-reader (which is what my Kindle Paperwhite is).

Great news about getting a library on the Konigsdam! The library is one of my favorite places to hang out on HAL ships.

Unfortunately there are a few ships due for dry dock this year eg. Zuiderdam and I believe the library is being severely reduced to make way for the new style Crows Nest. I do hope they decide to keep the library.

I agree that it great news concerning the library. That was one subject that always came up when you asked how someone liked the ship. I missed it as well even though I take books on my phone.

I'm a library director and while I only read hard copy books at home when I travel it is a Kindle for me. We have both a Paperwhite and a Fire. Not having to bring multiple books along our our trips is a godsend. The few ships we've been on had a very small selection and twice were closed for most of the trip because of Norovirus. I would have been lost without my own reading material!