Family Cruise 16 people need 6 cabins Help!!

Instead of the family beach vacation (rented a house) I suggested a family cruise! We are a family of 16 people, two couples, three other couples each have two children. The grandkids range from 18-13. Most have cruised except 1 adult and several grandkids. The week we chose is Aug.4th. We would have to fly to the port.

What I was wondering for those that have done family cruises do I look for the ship or destinations?? Then what ship would you recommend?? Any help would be appreciated!! I am in charge since I have "time" (retired Mom and Grandma) What did I get myself into:) Have a nice day and thanks in advance for your replies.

Whether you go for the ports or the ship I would get the grandkids their own cabins. Put them in a cabin beside or across the hall from their parents. Not that much more expensive for the extra c in and you will appreciate the second bathroom and extra space especially with teenagers.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Instead of the family beach vacation (rented a house) I suggested a family cruise! We are a family of 16 people, two couples, three other couples each have two children. The grandkids range from 18-13. Most have cruised except 1 adult and several grandkids. The week we chose is Aug.4th. We would have to fly to the port.

What I was wondering for those that have done family cruises do I look for the ship or destinations?? Then what ship would you recommend?? Any help would be appreciated!! I am in charge since I have "time" (retired Mom and Grandma) What did I get myself into:) Have a nice day and thanks in advance for your replies.

If you are talking August 2018, yours choices with rooms near each other might already be very limited. With the range you have, I would definitely look into a bigger ship (freedom (min), or oasis class, or possibly quantum). There will be much more to do to keep everybody entertained. Ports are a little more difficult, as finding one activity that all 16 would enjoy will be more difficult.

To suit all age groups and for plenty to do, we prefer Oasis class ships (Oasis or Allure) or Quantum (Anthem).

When we have done family cruises in the past, we have booked a suite or a string of balconies. With suites, a 2 bed suite can comfortably accommodate 6 with 2 sleeping on the sofa bed. Apart from a comfortable room, the VIP suite experiences makes it worthwhile.

I have organized three family cruises so far for my family. The first time we chose NCL Epic. The last two have been on either the Oasis or Allure. When traveling with kids I definitely pick the ship first. The larger ships with multiple activities were a hit!

I would also say pick by ship. You spend a lot more time on the ship than in ports. If you get the kids their own cabins, either adjoining or across from their parents, you should have 8 cabins. This is the RCCL minimum number of cabins to qualify for a group, and you will get some added benefits, including one free berth. (Basically half of a cabin, minus taxes and fees.) You can always split this savings among the family members.

For a group that large, the ship should take priority and here's why.

1) The ship will have so many different options as far as activities, shows, food and other venues that there will be something for everyone to enjoy.

2) If you choose a cruise because of ports, then finding a combination of ports where each one has either one singular activity that all 16 people will enjoy together, or that will have so many different things to do that all 16 people will find something to their liking, is a lot less likely.

3) If you choose based on ports and your ship ends up having to change itineraries due to weather or other circumstances, then you've just jeopardized the vacation for 16 people (instead of just your own immediate family).

4) All ports will have similar things to do (a nice beach, an area to shop for trinkets, probably an island tour although depending on the island the tour can be done in different ways and may be more fun and interesting on some islands than others). However, if anyone in your party just doesn't like a particular port, they can stay on the ship and you'll want to make sure that person has enough things to do to also enjoy their day, even if they don't enjoy the island (for example, the frequent cruisers may not want to get off at Nassau while the teens might think it's really cool). If they're stuck in port on an old small ship, that person will think of that day as a bust, while the people who went to the island will think it was great. If you have a big fun ship, both sides will likely have enjoyed their day.

5) A big fun ship will have activities for everyone, even those who want to relax and do nothing, while a smaller older ship (focused on ports) may only be enjoyable to those who want to relax.

I personally go for the islands, but in your case, I would definitely go for the ship. As the organizer you want the maximize the amount of people who leave the trip feeling like they had a good time, which will reflect positively on your planning. If you book for ports, chances are only 1/3-1/2 of your party will leave feeling like they had a great time, but if you book for the ship, then you'll have increased the likelihood that the other half of your group will walk away with the same feeling.

Pick a big ship and some may hate the ship but loved the ports, some may hate the ports but love the ship, and some may love both, but I think it will be a lot less likely that anyone will hate both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To suit all age groups and for plenty to do, we prefer Oasis class ships (Oasis or Allure) or Quantum (Anthem).

When we have done family cruises in the past, we have booked a suite or a string of balconies. With suites, a 2 bed suite can comfortably accommodate 6 with 2 sleeping on the sofa bed. Apart from a comfortable room, the VIP suite experiences makes it worthwhile.

Problem with the two bedroom suite is that the other ten people do not get any amenities - also, the couple stuck on the sofa get no privacy. I'd go with balconies for the couples and insides across the hall for the teens on a newer ship.

We just did this in August 2017 with 10 people (5 cabins). Ages ranged from 23-68. Definitely go for the ship 1st, ports 2nd. We ended up choosing NCL Escape and it was the perfect pick for our group. We also ended being impacted by Hurricane Harvey and our western itinerary of Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel ended being an eastern itinerary of St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau (which is why I said go for the ports 2nd).

There was so much to see/do on the ship everyone had a good time. There was also the added bonus of the free at sea program and one of our picks was the drink package. The young adults all enjoyed that!

Good advice on ship vs itinerary so far. My additional tip is do not overschedule! Especially meal time. You have too many people to get everyone at the same table anyway, but you can always rotate who sits with whom if you wish. Even for 8 people we had trouble getting everyone to lunch or dinner at the same time. So we just said everyone do your own thing for breakfast and lunch. It was amazing that we always ran into somebody else from the group.

Excursions is the same. Unless you want to book private transport for something, let everybody book what they want. Just keep track so people who are going on the same trip know to look for each other.

Other than that, get a magnetic whiteboard you can stick on your door so people can leave notes for each other.

We just did this in July for our 50th wedding anniversary. There were 10 of us in 4 cabins on the Allure.

For us it was a JS, the rest enjoyed boardwalk balcony cabins. One family needed 2 cabins, a triple and one double, so they had connecting with the other family had just one triple.

Everyone enjoyed the cabins and found the location to be perfect.

Our itinerary included Labadee. That was the absolute highlight of the cruise. Our oldest grandson (15) zip lined in Labadee. I think his smile was a mile wide the rest of the cruise.

Also on Labadee we enjoyed a beach cabana, all the kids ages 11-15 enjoyed all the beach and water sports, while the adults enjoyed being in the cabana or beach chairs on waters edge.

I suggest an itinerary with Labadee, there is something for everyone there.

You asked if you should look for the ship or itinerary, I think both. The ship you will want all the bells and whistles for the kids, flow rider, sports court, teen activities. Pick an itinerary with some beach options, snorkeling, or tours of interest. Everyone will have the option to pick their own excursions, show reservations (Oasis class and above) and other activities before sailing.

We told them all the first day....we don't care what you do during the day, but you will be at dinner every night at 5:30. it was fun to hear them talk about what they did that day, tomorrow's plans and shared stories of finding new friends. They all loved that!!!

Good luck, its fun planning!!!