First time in St.Thomas

gollareny

You definitely want to go to Nita's Jewelry in St. Thomas. They are located on Drakes Passage. We were there on the 27th of November & they have some of the most beautiful pieces that you will ever see. We walked in & we felt like we never left home, they even knew friends of ours & called them so we could make sure they were on the up & up. They have the greatest pieces & prices. Absolutely love my Blue Diamond & White Diamond circle of Love necklace. Go see the gang (Harry & Ricky) at Nita's & tell them hello from us.

Also you want to go to Mountaintop for their famous Banana Daquari's, they are great, plus the views are wonderful.

Bill & Donna :D :D

from PA

gollareny: Welcome to the boards. I am sure you are quite excited about cruising. It will help us answer your questions better if you give us some idea of the type of activities you like/dislike. It's really difficult to give specific answers to very general questions.

Another thing you might want to do is an Advanced Search (on this board only). When you go up to "Search this Forum," select Advanced. Then type in very specific search terms, such as "st. thomas excursions" or "st thomas activity" or "st thomas snorkel" (if you like to snorkel), and so on based on things you like to do. For the time frame to search, select 1 to 3 months to start and only go back further if you don't get lots of hits. (You will very likely get TONS of hits because these questions come up all the time, and there's some good up-to-date info.) Then go over and select the St. Thomas forum, even though it will already be highlighted. For some reason, that seems to make the search function work better.

A couple of general things about St. Thomas. There are many very good snorkeling spots. You can also ferry over to St. John (search for "Trunk bay" and "Cinnamon bay") for great snorkeling and beaching. The Paradise Point tram gives a wonderful view of the harbor and Water Island.

Have a great time--and read, read, read this forum for some really good insights.

beachchick

St. Thomas has so many diverse things to do that this is a difficult question to answer. There is plenty of shopping, lots of beaches and numerous excursions, but most revolve around shopping and water activities.

My suggestion is to go to the bookstore and get a book on Caribbean ports of call. This will cover St. Thomas and your other stops. Once you have a chance to read this you can follow up with Internet research to get the latest.

Since you are a first time cruiser, and I am going to assume that you are not someone who travels off the mainland often, you might be better off and more comfortable booking through your ship.

Have a great time!

We just went on our first cruise Dec 3rd and stopped in st thomas. a lot of people told us to go on a sunny liston tour and are we glad we did. Sunny and his wife take you first shopping then on a tour of the island then to the beach it lasts for about 6 hours. I recommend you take his tour that way you will know a little about the island then if you go back you will know what to do.

We've been to St. Thomas on several cruises. I agree with Zqvol about booking an excursion through the cruise line since this is your first time.

The excursions we have done through the cruise lines were a sailing/snorkeling one, kayaking and snorkeling, and just snorkeling (Captain Nautica was the provider of this one and it was great). On our most recent cruise, we went over to St. John on our own. It's beautiful. But there's so much to see and do in St. Thomas that don't feel like you have to go over there just because so many people recommend it.

I was in St Thomas 2 weeks ago on the Holland America Zuiderdam. I looked on this board for suggestions. I found Godfreys Tours. He picks you up at your ship. Takes you shopping for 2 hours. Takes you on a tour of the island for approx 2 hours and then drops you off at a beach of your choice for 2 hours. He will secure your bags while you swim. After your time on the beach he takes you back to your ship. You get to meet all kinds of people from different ships. I think there were 4 ships in port that day. This guy has a great tour for $20.00 + tip. Actually I just went on his web site he now charges $25.00. Still a great deal.

www.godfreytoursvi.com

• 2 weeks later...

We were in St Thomas earlier this month for the first stop on our first cruise on the Serenade. The shopping is great there, particulary the open market where the cab drivers drop you off. You can effectively haggle with the vendors there much more than in the stores. Also, buy your stuff on the way back at the end of the day, they will be more eager to bargain, and you wont have to lug it around. If you are considering renting a scooter, DONT DO IT. I'm an extremely experienced motorcycle rider and we were almost killed twice there (no exaggeration). Also, before you take the taxi into town, check and see if theres a water taxi in St Thomas. Those are much faster, cheaper, and more interesting.

We were in St Thomas earlier this month for the first stop on our first cruise on the Serenade. The shopping is great there, particulary the open market where the cab drivers drop you off. You can effectively haggle with the vendors there much more than in the stores. Also, buy your stuff on the way back at the end of the day, they will be more eager to bargain, and you wont have to lug it around. If you are considering renting a scooter, DONT DO IT. I'm an extremely experienced motorcycle rider and we were almost killed twice there (no exaggeration). Also, before you take the taxi into town, check and see if theres a water taxi in St Thomas. Those are much faster, cheaper, and more interesting.

Thanks for good info, I'm sailing the Serenade in Feb, maiden cruise, question: what's a water taxi vs. a std taxi?

Thanks for good info, I'm sailing the Serenade in Feb, maiden cruise, question: what's a water taxi vs. a std taxi?

a water taxi is just a small boat that goes back and forth from the pier area to the town. in some ports you can easily walk into town like at bridgetown barbados, other places its quite a hike from the pier to the town like at st marten. the water taxi also will often let you go back and forth if you want for the same price, and its no more $$ than a regular taxi where you are crammed into a minivan with 15 other folks! so you are going on the serenade out of san juan for your first cruise? thats exactly what we did and absolutely loved it. if you want any more advice, let me know...we want to go again!

I just got back from the Christmas cruise on the Westerdam. St. Thomas has the rudest most agressive people of all the islands. Take a ferry to St. Johns then go to Trunk Bay Beach and go snorkeling. Spend about 1/2 day there, then catch the ferry back. Do not go into the town, I repeat, Do not go into the town. The town is dirty, everything is low quality, there are no good deals, things are way cheaper and better quality in Nassau and you won't get ripped off. St. Thomas is nothing but a tourist trap. The entrance is very pretty, but that's it. If you want to spend the rest of the day on St. Thomas, rent a car or motorbike. The tour drivers are rude and cram you in like cattle. The only people I have met that are ruder are American immigration and customs. No more St. Thomas for me. I would stay on the ship first.

Ok everyone talks about great shopping but almost no one says what they bought!! I have no interest in silver or trinkets, so what do they have thats a great price? If I could pick up a Tag watch for $500 or a Boss Suit for $500 I'd be impressed...if its 3 t shirts for $10 ..well who cares. Please elaborate!! I'm in St. Thomas in a week and so far nothing is enticing me to even get off the boat. Thanks!

My suggestion for what to do in St. Thomas would be to get off the boat and ask for a taxi to take you to Magen's Bay. When we went itwas one of the Top 10 beaches of the world (I saw "was", as I was there almost 5 years ago! :) ). It was beautiful! And if you go first thing in the morning, the beach is empty! Around noon you can either head back towards the port and do some souvenir shopping or get another taxi to take you around the island for a tour.

The taxi's are not your traditional car, they are open air "trucks" that sit maybe 12 people. The drive will take at least 20 minutes and they may first take you to the downtown market and you might have to pick up another taxi. This happened to us and we were not sure what to do. You just have to be adamant where you want to go and make sure they agree to take you there.

We're going to St. Thomas in February. Can't wait!

I just got back from the Christmas cruise on the Westerdam. St. Thomas has the rudest most agressive people of all the islands. Take a ferry to St. Johns then go to Trunk Bay Beach and go snorkeling. Spend about 1/2 day there, then catch the ferry back. Do not go into the town, I repeat, Do not go into the town. The town is dirty, everything is low quality, there are no good deals, things are way cheaper and better quality in Nassau and you won't get ripped off. St. Thomas is nothing but a tourist trap. The entrance is very pretty, but that's it. If you want to spend the rest of the day on St. Thomas, rent a car or motorbike. The tour drivers are rude and cram you in like cattle. The only people I have met that are ruder are American immigration and customs. No more St. Thomas for me. I would stay on the ship first.

again, wow...!

Just do us a favor, lightbourn, please post when and where you are planning to travel next, and I promise to avoid you at all cost...:cool:

To original poster, I have been to St. Thomas 3 times, and MANY other islands and countries for that matter. My experience in St. Thomas has been the exact opposite. Please listen when I say- a stop is what YOU make it, and if you are in for an enjoyable time, you will have it. ;) St. Thomas is beautiful, and if given more specifics, I would gladly recommend specifics. Bon Voyage and please don't allow extremist comments shy you away...:p

We were in St. Thomas in March 2005. I bought a beautiful 2 carat diamond ring and my husband purchased an Olympus digital camera which we love. I don't remember how much we paid for either but I can tell you that we would never have purchased either if we had not gotten a good deal. We shopped at the stores right there off the pier. We found the exact same items in more than one store and we bargained and bought from the store with the best deal. They will bargain. We also made our purchases late in the day. Did price comparisons early and then returned to make the deals. Pretty sure I bought the ring at Diamonds International. Go to the shopping talk on the ship. They do make good recommendations and I'm kicking myself big time for forgetting to use my "free" diamond earrings with purchase coupon I got on the ship. Even diamond chip earrings are better than no diamonds at all. We did not find any rude merchants. In fact, I used an American Express gift card to purchase the ring and the saleswoman had to spend about 30 minutes on the phone with American Express to get it to work. She did so willingly and with a smile. Enjoy shopping! Can't wait untl we're back there next month to do more shopping!!!

I am going on my first cruise in late April, early May. one of the stops is St.Thomas. Anyone have any helpful hints or reccomendations for me, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Nova

If this is your first time on St. Thomas you may want to see the island with Air force 1 fun tours www.havefunwithus.com for only $25.00 per person. we had a great time with them a week ago. or you may want to ride the tramway on Paradise Point http://stthomasskyride.com it only cost $16.00 per person to ride the tram Round Trip. or you can go to Coral World http://www.coralworldvi.com for $15.00 per person. we did all of this in one day.

Man OF The Year

Archived