Regal Princess October 14 to 21, 2017 New England/Canada

Bimmer09

We have done our Muster Drill following the "7 short blasts and 1 long blast on the ship's whistle" and I ain't talking the Love Boat theme but must say that would be a better choice of alarm-much more calming- if the ship was on fire and listing badly in a hurricane and that swarm of killer bees broke loose from their crate in the hold.

I believe in bringing the life vest to drill and learning to put it on while you are sober and have your wits about you. When you are hammered and in your underwear(or in someone else's as the lights in the cabin suddenly go off) at 4 a.m with the ship taking on water isn't the time to be taking out the life vest instruction manual. Pay attention to the drill.

Now I am excited as we have just 10 minutes or so to get ready for the Leaving of New York. I have already set up my two tripods- a full height one for the DSLR wide angle lens camera and a flexible one attached to the balcony railing for some back-up GoPro footage. Around my neck is a DSLR camera for zoom shots and in my hand a Sony camcorder.

We will soon say adieu to this....

37895052652_c84503f157_b.jpg

37872955916_d5ebe5dde6_b.jpg

37873045866_4f6ef7635c_b.jpg

We're leaving The Big Apple but we're not burning any bridges-we need this one to get back to continue our New York adventure.

26150478689_0c72ddb93f_b.jpg

Are you ready to go to sea with us? (rhetorical)

WE'RE GOING TO SEA!

The mooring ropes were one by one dropped into the harbor and we (well not us-the driver) used his mighty thrusters to push away from the dock and then we sat there for a minute or two before the 7 horns sang the Love Boat theme. (in the video to follow)

The afternoon sun was creating that "Magic Light" we all love.

37982141182_8ab969e79b_b.jpg

37982436032_9f86fe01f6_b.jpg

37982146732_a42ed09b0c_b.jpg

Bye Bye Brooklyn!

26237057909_286d78a0aa_b.jpg

37304068844_44065b0952_b.jpg

The ship was now gliding slowly along and the buildings seemed to get farther away, an optical effect that still has scientists baffled.

38014378401_b788da0059_b.jpg

37305779204_8b8ef93346_b.jpg

All the aft balcony and suite cabins, er, staterooms, had people heads poking over the balcony rail and there was excited chatter. I was in business mode and knew that 6 decks above me there was a CC meet n greet happening at the Outrigger bar. Ron was there I believe and if he has any input or photos he is welcome to put them up here. This was our first sailing out of New York, a city we know at street level and from one around Manhattan boat tour in 2003. So I had to stay put on the balcony to take pictures as when we would return it would be in the dark and it won't be often that we get to sail out of New York.

My cameras don't have a panorama mode so I bought a quality tripod to enable me to stitch two photos together, in case you were wondering.

Lin, welcome back to a Norris review! More is on the way but now I am being whisked away to a BBQ joint of local renown for some chopped brisket. It's been frustratingly hard this week to get good writing time so I have taken tomorrow off work to get this thing to sea at 20 knots.

I have just uploaded my Regal Sail away video to Youtube....should see that Sunday but don't quote me.

Cheers!

Norris

Norris,

Great stuff as always! The pictures of NYC make me homesick. I love being a native New Yorker. I can’t seem to get into the writing flow either. I’m only about 7 nights into my review of our 12 night British Isles voyage on the Caribbean from 9/10. “Season” and Photo Bucket being a bit feisty have slowed me down, but I guess good things come to those who wait including me. Maybe another week or two and I’ll start the thread. I’ll let you know when it’s up. Keep up your entertaining great work.

Trip

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Norris, Norris how have I missed you. What a great review, love the order and the photos and of course the wit. We have two sailings booked on the Regal so can’t wait for more. Now will search for you on the tube. Can’t wait for you to take me on your “Sea Cruise”.......dating myself. Lanz

I want to show you a place I just mentioned and which would become my home from home (home being Caribe C 743) and where I would show up each morning around 5.30 am. It was the place Jonathan (Cruiserking) had tipped me off about. Deck 17 aft .

. . .

There is no bar there but there is one a deck below on 16 (Lido Deck) just outside the buffet and a waiter from there would work the smoking section. Coffee and hot water for tea plus iced water were always there when I sat alone at 5.30 am with my bag of cameras, hoping for a sunrise.

When we were on the Royal in the Caribbean in Jan 2016, I enjoyed the area you describe on Deck 16. Totally covered space so didn't have to worry about the sun, comfy furniture, a nice breeze, even on a hot day. Usually pretty quiet.

Bimmer, I wondered if you ever clambered around the upper reaches of the forward decks as you entered a port? Since I don't think you've posted any photos from that "perch" I assume not. But a great place for a photographer! I took lots of pics from there as we approached Cobh, Ireland on our first cruise on the Royal. It's a huge natural harbor so one has the entrance to the harbor and then the scenery within the harbor. A tad bit breezy, but bearable.

Mea Culpa

I took a ridiculous number of photos from sail away and although I am not known for restraint I am only showing you some of them but even that is a large amount. Luckily there is the scroll bar and you can glide through them if they bore you. I have a long (30 years) love of New York. I lived by the sea when I was young and spent a lot of time on fishing trawlers and my Captain dad's cargo ship.

26236951179_9e6e4338cc_b.jpg

26236939399_e84db3af32_b.jpg

Looking at Chelsea Piers on the West side around 23rd street

38012986771_e368e237fa_b.jpg

26237052739_417517fce5_b.jpg

And to the extreme left New Jersey with, in the far distance, a Disney ship leaving Manhattan. I think it was the Magic.

26237051399_5ffe4ee15c_b.jpg

and this comes into view...

26236988539_24c5a56229_b.jpg

• Like 1

There is a long scene in the video where we are casting off and I am waiting to see if we can hear the Love Boat theme. I knew if I paused the camcorder Murphy's Law would take over so just keep watching if you want to hear it. It is subdued way back here..

kucRHZ4NF24

Norris

Norris,

Great stuff as always! The pictures of NYC make me homesick. I love being a native New Yorker. I can’t seem to get into the writing flow either. I’m only about 7 nights into my review of our 12 night British Isles voyage on the Caribbean from 9/10. “Season” and Photo Bucket being a bit feisty have slowed me down, but I guess good things come to those who wait including me. Maybe another week or two and I’ll start the thread. I’ll let you know when it’s up. Keep up your entertaining great work.

Trip, Sent from my iPad using Forums

Trip, welcome aboard and thanks for joining me again!

This will be a voyage of discovery for us-new ship, new ports and now that we have escaped the gravitational pull of NYC it is ship and ports from here on in until we get back.

I've had a busy morning on the computer, in CC, Lightroom, Youtube, troubleshooting and exclaiming "really??!!" and "oh, what now?!!" as I battle with various softwares. Besides which I have spent time on Princess.com looking at our Crown Princess booking. Payment is due today for our January 12 sailing and it looks like we are going ahead, even though it will only be 11 weeks since our last cruise which you are reading about. After that we have no Princess cruises booked so the Crown may be our last until late in 2019.

Stay tuned....we are at sea!

Norris

I am here. Not too late for a change.

Hi, and welcome again!

Where in France are you?

I love France. Alas I have never been to Paris!! That must be remedied.

Norris

• Like 1

I’m new to this forum but enjoying what I’m reading so far. Interested in anything Princess!

Welcome to the Forum and you are my first reader from England's smallest county!

Stay until the end (if there is one) and enjoy the beautiful places we saw.

Cheers,

Norris

Norris, your pictures are wonderful. .:)

Janetz, thanks for the compliments but I had my work cut out for me learning a new camera and trying to keep up with tour guides and things not to miss. I haven't looked up ahead to see what I have got as I have been so busy so I am editing just before I put up a batch on Flickr to choose from. I am excited at the prospect of seeing them all as there is no way I can now remember over 1300 photos in any detail.

Norris

Deck Chair Queen (aka Carol) checking in, late as usual.

The song lyric game: We're Going to Sea! Benjamin Britten's Peter Grimes, one of our favorite operas. And very much about the sea. Old Davey Jones shall answer.

Norris and his waiters: Wherever we go on the ship they swarm to serve him. It's like a scene from Night of the Living Dead. Me, I'm chopped liver and an afterthought. Every meal began with a 20 minute search for Sir Norris's wine bottle, while I sat parched and ignored.

The NY sailaway: Apart from Venice, the most beautiful of all of our sailaways. Brought a lump to my throat.

Keep up the good work on this Gentleman's Seafaring Journal.

Carol

I understand your fear of posting too many photos. I too took so many photos from my sail away (first time to New York). Couldn’t get enough of the skyline, Lady Liberty, the water action, loved it all.

• Like 1