Changing Cruise Dates- Help

teague38

I have a 7 day cruise booked for March. I have 2 rooms with 2 people in each. When I booked the special was half off deposits which made them $125 a person with a $50 on board credit for each room. I went ahead and paid the full deposit of $250 per person so I have paid a total of $1000. I did not buy the insurance. The final payment is due by Jan 2nd. Here is my question..Recently my mom has become very ill, so If I need to change the cruise date to a much later cruise would I be able to do that without the insurance and would they transfer the $1000 I have already paid to a future cruise? I am assuming I would lose the OBC. Also, not sure if it matters but I booked early saver. If I need insurance to not lose my money , is it too late to take the insurance?? This is only my second cruise so I am still a newbie. I pray my mom will be ok but trying to prepare for what I may need to do. Thanks in advance for any help!!

If you paid early saver, you most likely will lose your deposit as Carnival doesn't allow changes with Early Saver. You can call and find out what the penalty is but I am positive you will have to pay one. There's also a spot under Manage my booking on Carnival.com. Go to the details and in the box where it says my itinerary my activities is a link that says is there a penalty for canceling this booking. Click on it and it will tell you what you will have to pay. Even if you change dates, Carnival will cancel the booking and create a new one with the new date.

It's too late to buy insurance for "cancel for any reason"...you must do that within a VERY short time(like less than 10 days or so) of your original booking.....just like you can't add "flood insurance" as the river is rising!!!

It's too late to buy insurance for "cancel for any reason"...you must do that within a VERY short time(like less than 10 days or so) of your original booking.....just like you can't add "flood insurance" as the river is rising!!!
This is not entirely true. My policy allows cancel for any reason as long as it is purchased before final payment. It is only 70% coverage but would be better than losing 100%

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

If you paid early saver, you most likely will lose your deposit as Carnival doesn't allow changes with Early Saver. You can call and find out what the penalty is but I am positive you will have to pay one. There's also a spot under Manage my booking on Carnival.com. Go to the details and in the box where it says my itinerary my activities is a link that says is there a penalty for canceling this booking. Click on it and it will tell you what you will have to pay. Even if you change dates, Carnival will cancel the booking and create a new one with the new date.

Thank you. I just went and clicked on the link and it says I would lose $250 on each booking to cancel so a total of $500. Do you know what would happen to the other $500? Would it be refunded or would it have to put toward another cruise?

Thank you. I just went and clicked on the link and it says I would lose $250 on each booking to cancel so a total of $500. Do you know what would happen to the other $500? Would it be refunded or would it have to put toward another cruise?

They would keep it as a credit for a future cruise. I believe you would need to rebook within a year but I am not positive on that.

They would keep it as a credit for a future cruise. I believe you would need to rebook within a year but I am not positive on that.

Also just found this on Carnival's website..

Does Early Saver and Early Saver Last Call follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

• The deposit and payment terms are the same. Guests who cancel prior to the final payment date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50 USD service fee per person.
  • Future cruise credits are issued in the name of the original payee, regardless of whether they were ever booked in the cancelled reservation. For bookings paid with a travel agency credit card or check, the cruise credit will then be issued in the name of the cancelled guest.
  • The future cruise credit can only be redeemed on bookings made in USD currency, will be applied to guests’ cruise fare, is non-refundable, non-transferable and any unused portion will be forfeited.
  • Guests must sail within 24 months from the date of the cancellation.
  • Cancellations that occur after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?

• Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 USD service fee per person, per change.
  • Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

Am I reading this wrong or does it sound like all we would lose is $50 per person as long as we decide what to do before final payment due date? I am at work or I would call. I will call them tonight when I get home. Just thought I would see what your opinion is on how this reads.

Also just found this on Carnival's website..

Does Early Saver and Early Saver Last Call follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

•  
  • The deposit and payment terms are the same. Guests who cancel prior to the final payment date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50 USD service fee per person.

• Future cruise credits are issued in the name of the original payee, regardless of whether they were ever booked in the cancelled reservation. For bookings paid with a travel agency credit card or check, the cruise credit will then be issued in the name of the cancelled guest.

• The future cruise credit can only be redeemed on bookings made in USD currency, will be applied to guests’ cruise fare, is non-refundable, non-transferable and any unused portion will be forfeited.

• Guests must sail within 24 months from the date of the cancellation.

• Cancellations that occur after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?

•  
  • Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 USD service fee per person, per change.

• Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

Am I reading this wrong or does it sound like all we would lose is $50 per person as long as we decide what to do before final payment due date? I am at work or I would call. I will call them tonight when I get home. Just thought I would see what your opinion is on how this reads.

Yes I read it that way too. Much better than the entire deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I changed my cruise date under early saver. You will lose 50$ per person as an administrative fee. The rest of your deposit will be given as a future cruise credit. It is much easier if you already know what cruise you want to swap to. I lost the 100$ but got it back by checking fares often. One of the perks of early saver.

I changed my cruise date under early saver. You will lose 50$ per person as an administrative fee. The rest of your deposit will be given as a future cruise credit. It is much easier if you already know what cruise you want to swap to. I lost the 100$ but got it back by checking fares often. One of the perks of early saver.

Thank you. If I have to change dates maybe I will recoup some of my loss too. :)

Thank you. If I have to change dates maybe I will recoup some of my loss too. :)

Please note, you will need to make the change PRIOR to your final payment, if not you will be subject to a larger loss than just the $50/pp.

The easiest way to do this (as I have done it a few times), is to seek out another ship/sail date you want (you may even find one that is less than what you paid already and then the $50/pp loss will not be so bad). You do NOT have to cancel your booking, if you call in you tell them you want to "change" your booking to a different sailing. By doing this, you will not have to put out any extra "up front money." They will keep the same booking number and make the changes and it will show the full $1000 deposit paid with an administrative fee added of $200 ($50/pp). If you cancel, then you will only have $800 rolled over to a new cruise, and when you go to book you will have to cough up the other $200 to meet the full $1000 deposit again (unless you find a reduced deposit sale again by chance).... to me "Switching" is much better than "Canceling" as you can make the change without any more outlay of cash. You pay the same either way it is just when you have to pay it.

You will lose the OBC as this was tied to the original booking special rate.... However, you may be able to find a new cruise that offers some again as well and then that would be re-applied under the new change rate.

I have a 7 day cruise booked for March. I have 2 rooms with 2 people in each. When I booked the special was half off deposits which made them $125 a person with a $50 on board credit for each room. I went ahead and paid the full deposit of $250 per person so I have paid a total of $1000. I did not buy the insurance. The final payment is due by Jan 2nd. Here is my question..Recently my mom has become very ill, so If I need to change the cruise date to a much later cruise would I be able to do that without the insurance and would they transfer the $1000 I have already paid to a future cruise? I am assuming I would lose the OBC. Also, not sure if it matters but I booked early saver. If I need insurance to not lose my money , is it too late to take the insurance?? This is only my second cruise so I am still a newbie. I pray my mom will be ok but trying to prepare for what I may need to do. Thanks in advance for any help!!

You will lose $$$ to make any changes.That is how they trap people with those reduced deposits.

You will lose $$$ to make any changes.That is how they trap people with those reduced deposits.

I think "trap" is kind of a hard word. As long as a person understands what the "restrictions" are for the rate they are booking and make an informed decision. ES and Reduced Deposits can save you money. Most times when a change is required the cost is minimal $50/pp.

Also note that the money that you will be credited to a future cruise,,, cannot be used as a deposit for the future cruise.

In Other Words

(I haven't done the math so these numbers are hypothetical)

You have $1000 invested in deposits so far.

let's say minus $250 in admin fees.

$750 held for future booking,,,,,

You have to pay the full deposit for the new cruise first,,, THEN, you can apply the $750 to payment of the new cruise.

Also note that the money that you will be credited to a future cruise,,, cannot be used as a deposit for the future cruise.

In Other Words

(I haven't done the math so these numbers are hypothetical)

You have $1000 invested in deposits so far.

let's say minus $250 in admin fees.

$750 held for future booking,,,,,

You have to pay the full deposit for the new cruise first,,, THEN, you can apply the $750 to payment of the new cruise.

Since I always do a "change" and don't "cancel/rebook" anymore it has been a while since I have had the scenario of actually cancelling a cruise and rebooking, but I only remember having to pay the difference (the amount I had rolled over after the $50/pp loss was applied to my deposit).

Are you sure about this? It seems the money would apply toward the deposit of the cruise as well.

You can buy flood insurance as the river is rising. Flood insurance has a 30 day period until coverage takes effect after binding coverage.

Cancel for any reason is an add on coverage when buying travel insurance. There’s a cost for this option.

Most basic travel insurance plans cover trip cancellations if a direct family member gets sick or ill within a specified period before the trip.

Travel insurance will cover from 100% to 75% of trip-paid-exposure depending on the plan.

The exposure from the OP is $1000. A certain part of that is refundable by carnival in the form of a future credit (ES rate terms).

The non refundable part of ES would be covered by the travel insurance at the coverage percentage rate detailed in the Insurance plan.

Hope this helps and that your family member gets better quickly.