Eastern Carib general stuff?

bones774

I've been cruisin for years now. I've seen the white,pink, black beaches,the blue waters, serene bays, waterfalls, colonial forts and canons, governors mansions and gardens,swam with this and that, snorkeled, helmet dive, you get the idea.

My upcoming cruise is St. Kitts,Barbados, Martinique, St. Lucia and USVI. Is there anything on these islands that is a "must see", "once in a lifetime", "only here" "take your breath away", Grand Canyonesque style of tourist attraction? If not, I'd just as soon walk off ship and stretch my legs in the port area. That being said are any of these special ports that i could enjoy walking around or avoid walking around?

I don't want this to be a sour post but i enjoy the cruise itself as much as the tourist spots, don't wanna do this and that just because "you're here".

Thanks

I know it will be tedious but all the ports you listed have their own ports of call board so I would encourage you to post on them.

We have been to them all and I can't say they offer a once in a life time experience.

In St. Lucia I would not walk around to far from the port if you do it on your own. Once I got a few blocks away I did not feel all that safe. It is a beautiful island but you need transportation to see that.

Barbados does have things to see within a 30 to 40 minute walk from the port such as one of the oldest Jewish Synagogues and a very old church. It is believed that George Washington visited the church. Again nothing earth shattering but nevertheless less we have enjoyed nice walks to and from these houses of worship that are indeed historic.

Keith

I know it will be tedious but all the ports you listed have their own ports of call board so I would encourage you to post on them.

We have been to them all and I can't say they offer a once in a life time experience.

In St. Lucia I would not walk around to far from the port if you do it on your own. Once I got a few blocks away I did not feel all that safe. It is a beautiful island but you need transportation to see that.

Barbados does have things to see within a 30 to 40 minute walk from the port such as one of the oldest Jewish Synagogues and a very old church. It is believed that George Washington visited the church. Again nothing earth shattering but nevertheless less we have enjoyed nice walks to and from these houses of worship that are indeed historic.

Keith

I'm not gonna post in each board, we'll see what comes up here, i'll talk to people onboard ship and read about if anything else interesting.

I'll take your advice in St. Lucia and stay close. Grew up in a big city so i can kinda see when things are going south.

30-40 minute walk is perfect for me, maybe i will stroll over to the synagogue, no disrespect to the church but i've done europe and seen enough 600 year old churches. Is the synagogue still active?

Now just a couple more ideas for the remaining islands.

Thanks

You may want to just stay close to the ship but our 2 cents worth -

St Kitts we'd head for a beach, but probably a good port for you to stuck close in if not interested in a beach day. If interested there is a cat to nearby Nevis for a nice day on the water and a beach.

Barbados is all about the beaches, if you want one beach day this would be our choice.

St Lucia is a beautiful island and it would really be a shame to stick close to port here. Consider a land excursion (ATV or guided tour) through the jungle with a return along the coast on a nice cat.

By "USVI" I assume you are in port at St Thomas. That and STJ were both devastated by IRMA, and although some beaches like Sapphire survived very well, much of the infrastructure is still being repaired, not sure when you depart. But we've stayed on STT and cruised there, and other than the beaches our choice for a nice day would be a day sail with High Pockets, Yacht Nightwind, or another reputable outfit.

Your roll call is also a good source from fellow cruise mates who have visited these destinations before.

Barbados we swam with the sea turtles and snorkeled over 2 reefs, best excursion ever!

http://shasacatamarancruises.com/

In St. Lucia we did the Spencer Ambrose tour. Waterfall and swim, volcano and mud baths (very different from volcanoes in Hawaii - it's geothermal vs lava), great local cuisine, speed boat, etc. and he has the best prices!

http://spencerambrose.com/island-tours/spencers-land-and-sea-adventure1/

St. Lucia we went to the Surlphur Springs black water pool with Cosol's St. Lucia tours, beautiful and very diverse island. The tour took us to many places but the sulphur springs was new to us!

http://www.cosol-tours.com/tours.html

St. Thomas we did the BOSS excursion (underwater scooters/snorkeling)! It was a very beautiful location for snorkeling while we waited our turn on the scooters!

http://www.bossusvi.com/

Again, thanks for all the info. I've been lurking on my roll call and there is a buncha chatter about the cosul tour and that's about it. The tour does get good reviews and i might just make that my special excursion.