1120 AM Flight from Sydney to LAX

X1HYCB

Having serious headache searching for a return flight from Sydney to LAX. Projected cruise on Sun Princess from 17 Jan - 30 Jan 2018 and the ship is scheduled to arrive 0700am at Sydney. Is it safe to take the 1120am flight? Seeking advice from fellow cruisers.

Having serious headache searching for a return flight from Sydney to LAX. Projected cruise on Sun Princess from 17 Jan - 30 Jan 2018 and the ship is scheduled to arrive 0700am at Sydney. Is it safe to take the 1120am flight? Seeking advice from fellow cruisers.

your docking at White Bay so you could get a princess transfer at $24 per person and if the ships on time you still wouldnt be getting to the airport until approx 9.00 -9.30am so you could get a taxi which would be dearer but if you carry off your own luggage you could make it but would you like to put yourself thru that stress

Just read you could be docking at White Bay, so my advice below is wrong (unless you disembark at OPT) !

Well, we did 2 cruises out of Sydney, and stayed 2 days after the 2nd debarked. I think you could do it BUT:

I would take the train to the airport--easy to do and you can get Opal cards at the station. (I think--locals can correct me if I'm wrong). It will be rush hour, so you will likely have to stand but it's a short trip. This avoids street traffic. If there is any reason you or your party can't manage their own bags, walk some distance with bags (there are lifts at the station), or any other physical limitations, don't do this. The walk from the OPT to the train isn't far and it is flat but it might seem long to some people.

You will need to do self-debark (carry your own bags off) and walk about 10 minutes to the the train station (assuming you are at OPT). if you are at White Bay, all bets are off :)

After you get a ticket/Opal card at the station (and there can be lines), get on the last car of the train you board. This will give you the best chance of finding standing room for the short trip. And I think you want a a T1 train, to get to the International terminal.

We did this last year when we visited Australia and NZ. But, we didn't need to catch a flight the day we disembarked and we were very familiar with the trains by the time we left (had been in Sydney for 3 weeks). They aren't hard to use and you can ask for help.

I think if you got off the ship in the first group and didn't dawdle on the way to the station, and got an Opal card with about 15 AUS dollars on it, you would be fine.

Or, you could spend an extra day in Sydney and do the same thing with less stress the next day :D

Good luck

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
add note

Well, we did 2 cruises out of Sydney, and stayed 2 days after the 2nd debarked. I think you could do it BUT:

I would take the train to the airport--easy to do and you can get Opal cards at the station. (I think--locals can correct me if I'm wrong). It will be rush hour, so you will likely have to stand but it's a short trip. This avoids street traffic.

You will need to do self-debark (carry your own bags off) and walk about 10 minutes to the the train station (assuming you are at OPT). if you are at White Bay, all bets are off :)

After you get a ticket/Opal card at the station (and there can be lines), get on the last car of the train you board. This will give you the best chance of finding standing room for the short trip. And I think you want a a T1 train, to get to the International terminal.

We did this last year when we visited Australia and NZ. But, we didn't need to catch a flight the day we disembarked and we were very familiar with the trains by the time we left (had been in Sydney for 3 weeks). They aren't hard to use and you can ask for help.

I think if you got off the ship in the first group and didn't dawdle on the way to the station, and got an Opal card with about 15 AUS dollars on it, you would be fine.

Or, you could spend an extra day in Sydney and do the same thing with less stress the next day :D

Good luck

ML

the ship docks at White Bay....if the OP wants to get that 11.20 flight they want to self disembark and get a taxi....dont muck around getting a princess transfer

the ship docks at White Bay....if the OP wants to get that 11.20 flight they want to self disembark and get a taxi....dont muck around getting a princess transfer

Completely agree--I didn't think of White Bay until I had posted my reply, then edited it to show this. Taxi is the best plan from there. It is soooo far away--what were they thinking making this a cruise dock??

Completely agree--I didn't think of White Bay until I had posted my reply, then edited it to show this. Taxi is the best plan from there. It is soooo far away--what were they thinking making this a cruise dock??

Actually if you're going by taxi there isn't a lot of difference in the time it takes from White Bay compared with the OPT. White Bay just seems like a long way away as it isn't near any tourist spots and has very little decent public transport to/from it.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't do it and one reason is the enhanced security screening.

I would want to be at the airport three hours before the flight.

Keith

Much, much appreciation from ya'all. I gave up. I let EZ air booked our flight for leverage. All's well!

I took that some flight last Sunday morning following a 28.day cruise on the Sun. There is road construction in the last mile approaching the airport and that took about 20 minutes.

You need to persuade Passenger Services to allow you to be among the first walkoff group. You also need to take a taxi, not the Princess transfer. You can negotiate a fare of around $55 AUD.

We were checked in before 9;00.