Future Cruise Deposit woes.

wild tulip

Hi I am an elite member of Princess and was Silverwillow on the boards but lost my password and can not get back into my old email so posting under new name now as above.

We have a b2b booked for July next year. We used our FCD's to book them so all up there is 4 FCD's on the booking. Last week my husband tells me that his work won't approve the leave. Also my daughter who would be travelling with us starts high school and the school does not condone holidays outside of school terms.

I rang the travel agent yesterday to cancel the bookings and she told me that I will lose my FCD's and that because I used them as a deposit it essentially 'turned into cash' and I can't get it back. We are talking about $400 worth of FCD's and I told her 'that is not how the program works and that I have cancelled a cruise before and retained the FCD'. She insisted I haven't and quite curtly tried explaining to me like I was a 5 year old that it is essentially money once it is applied so I have "Used them". The cruise is not even until march next year so I wouldn't even lose my deposit if it was money would I?

Who is correct and can anyone source the page on Princess that has all the FCD rules?

If I lose the FCD's what's the point of even having them.

Hi I am an elite member of Princess and was Silverwillow on the boards but lost my password and can not get back into my old email so posting under new name now as above.

We have a b2b booked for July next year. We used our FCD's to book them so all up there is 4 FCD's on the booking. Last week my husband tells me that his work won't approve the leave. Also my daughter who would be travelling with us starts high school and the school does not condone holidays outside of school terms.

I rang the travel agent yesterday to cancel the bookings and she told me that I will lose my FCD's and that because I used them as a deposit it essentially 'turned into cash' and I can't get it back. We are talking about $400 worth of FCD's and I told her 'that is not how the program works and that I have cancelled a cruise before and retained the FCD'. She insisted I haven't and quite curtly tried explaining to me like I was a 5 year old that it is essentially money once it is applied so I have "Used them". The cruise is not even until march next year so I wouldn't even lose my deposit if it was money would I?

Who is correct and can anyone source the page on Princess that has all the FCD rules?

From what I know, the only reason you would lose the FCDs is if your booking was under a non-refundable deposit. Otherwise you should get the FCDs redeposited into your account with Princess. I have done that quite a few times with no problem.

We've cancelled a couple of cruises booked with FCDs and the only way we didn't get them put back into our Princess FDC "bank" was when they were over 2 years old at the time that we had to cancel. If the FDCs aren't over two years old I might agree with your travel agent if it was past final payment date, but, not so in your circumstance.

We have a cruise booked for February and we used FCD's. The cruise was booked with the understanding that deposits were not refundable. If I have to cancel I would expect to lose the FCD's. Be sure that isn't the case. If not, I would expect to have the FCD's returned.

I think you are from Australia??

If so, we have a few different Princess rules here.

Firstly if the FCD are out of date they cannot be used on another booking and Princess will refund the $100 each........ your TA may charge cancellation/amendment fees, most here in Australia do, although I dont think they can use the FCD monies as that is deposited back into the account you purchased them with.

Other scenario would be that here we have 90 days (3 months) before the cancellation penalty kicks in for Princess, but if your cruise isnt until Juy 2018, then that isnt the reason.

If you cancel/change cruises before the penalty date starts to effect you retain the FCD to use again, if it is after the penalty date the FCD is deemed as cash and you lose it as a deposit....... your FCD may be out of date and you should get a refund.......get your TA to call Princess while you are there and explain what the issue is:)

Apologies if you are not from OZ!!

We had used future cruise deposits (for a cruise which the deposit was refundable). But, when we went to cancel the cruise we were told we’d loose the future cruise deposits ($200) as the expiration date by which they had to be used had passed. I was surprised as I never really thought of the deposits as “expiring” as if you don’t use them at all, you get them refunded automatically. Our TA had Princess move our $200 towards another cruise we already had booked (and used other FCD on) so we did not loose our money. Not sure if you have another trip booked or were planning on another one but transferring the funds may be one option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had used future cruise deposits (for a cruise which the deposit was refundable). But, when we went to cancel the cruise we were told we’d loose the future cruise deposits ($200) as the expiration date by which they had to be used had passed. I was surprised as I never really thought of the deposits as “expiring” as if you don’t use them at all, you get them refunded automatically. Our TA had Princess move our $200 towards another cruise we already had booked (and used other FCD on) so we did not loose our money. Not sure if you have another trip booked or were planning on another one but transferring the funds may be one option.

Yes, I think the OP stated they wanted to book another cruise, which makes me think that the FCD has expired, which they should receive a refund at least.

Our experience was as yours, went to cancel and found out it had expired, Princess had the money back in our account 2 weeks later.

I think you are from Australia??

If so, we have a few different Princess rules here.

Firstly if the FCD are out of date they cannot be used on another booking and Princess will refund the $100 each........ your TA may charge cancellation/amendment fees, most here in Australia do, although I dont think they can use the FCD monies as that is deposited back into the account you purchased them with.

Other scenario would be that here we have 90 days (3 months) before the cancellation penalty kicks in for Princess, but if your cruise isnt until Juy 2018, then that isnt the reason.

If you cancel/change cruises before the penalty date starts to effect you retain the FCD to use again, if it is after the penalty date the FCD is deemed as cash and you lose it as a deposit....... your FCD may be out of date and you should get a refund.......get your TA to call Princess while you are there and explain what the issue is:)

Apologies if you are not from OZ!!

Chez i remember the name Silverwillow and she is an aussie and if she booked with an Australian agent its 181 days and cancellation fees kick in (not 90 days)

i reread the post and july is still 8 months away so i dont know whats going but then she states the cruise in going next march so maybe she could explain it better.......if its march thats 4 months so she'll lose her deposit

Edited by rkmw

Chez i remember the name Silverwillow and she is an aussie and if she booked with an Australian agent its 181 days and cancellation fees kick in (not 90 days)

i reread the post and july is still 8 months away so i dont know whats going but then she states the cruise in going next march so maybe she could explain it better.......if its march thats 4 months so she'll lose her deposit

My bad Bob.....I was thinking 180 but put 90:rolleyes: you are correct, I just keep in mind now 6 months out I need to be certain I am doing the cruise or Princess will keep my FCD:(

I think, the OP was wanting to cancel the cruise in July and book one for next March?? My understanding is they should be able to do that as long as the FCD has not expired, if so they would get their money back for the FCD, have to pay a new deposit on the new cruise and the TA may charge them a cancellation/amendment fee.

We cancelled a cruise last year and got the FCD back. It was a good year before the cruise though.

As I understand it the FCDs are now treated as money but that money should be refunded if the cancellation is more than six months prior to the departure date. Princess changed that a while back as I understand too many people were booking multiple cruises then cancelling most of them just before final payment date.

We cancelled a cruise last year and got the FCD back. It was a good year before the cruise though.

As I understand it the FCDs are now treated as money but that money should be refunded if the cancellation is more than six months prior to the departure date. Princess changed that a while back as I understand too many people were booking multiple cruises then cancelling most of them just before final payment date.

if aussies cancel a cruise longer than 181 days using an FCD you get that back to use again but under 181 days its like using cash....other countries have different rules

if aussies cancel a cruise longer than 181 days using an FCD you get that back to use again but under 181 days its like using cash....other countries have different rules

I'm not certain that they are putting the FCD back onto your account now, they did a year ago but that might have changed, they may be refunding it by cheque or to the credit card used to purchase the FCD.

Wild tulip formally known as silverwillow is from Perth, Western Australia and travelled frequently with just her daughter. Many of you will know her from the 'cheap cruises' thread where she was a a regular contributor.

It would really help to know which cruise the OP is booked on. Princess have recently changed the rules for using Future Cruise Deposits and sometimes they are exchanged for a lower fare. In this case you lose the FCD benefit but get a better deal and a refund of your original $100 deposit. Maybe this is what happened?

I read in another post a few months ago that Princess changed the rules and you can no longer change/cancel a FCD booking. https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2483545

This is one of the posts from that page:

September 2015

" The FCD is fully refundable if your new booking is cancelled prior to final payment date, unless it is used in conjunction with a non-refundable deposit booking. "

April 2016 and September 2016

" Once applied to a booking, the FCD is considered money and is subject to the terms and conditions in the Passage contract. "

Edited by sir-magoo

Reading many posts of late I'm starting to think we Aussies get a pretty raw deal from Princess. It seems our OBC's pale into insignificance compared to others. On a recent thread I read that people were getting up over $1000 in OBC. We do not get beverage packages offered and don't get the upfront prices others get. I also read another thread about Caribbean cruises where the prices had been cut to amazingly low levels yet when I went on to the Princess site I couldn't get anything that cheap. Even recent emails from Princess about sales refer to sales but it says selected voyages and it's sometimes near impossible to work out which ones have had their prices cut.

Having cruised both Princess and Celebrity where I think they are almost identical in what they offer, I am wavering towards Celebrity now as at least they offer $400 OBC an a lot of cruises plus a beverage package. I appreciate that their prices may be higher to mask these incentives but overall they may be a bit cheaper for a similar product.

Just my beef, I'll go and lie down now.

I'm not certain that they are putting the FCD back onto your account now, they did a year ago but that might have changed, they may be refunding it by cheque or to the credit card used to purchase the FCD.

i've cancelled bookings recently and i've got my FCD back to use on another cruise but as long as your over 181 days out its not a problem

Hey there, happened to see a post you did back in June about a car service called ondaytrip.com that you had booked. Have you since used this service???? Like you, we just found them on-line as well and the reviews on Trip Adviser are great. We are considering using them in June from Budapest to Venice. Thanks in advance for any info......

I booked a cruise for next March with my FCD and was told at the time of booking that my deposit was non refundable.

Same here.....we have learned to make sure that if we book a cruises with FCC's to ask if the deposit is refundable or not....Princess has always been upfront with us regarding this matter.....I am sure OP might have misunderstood or assumed something that was not correct at time of booking....:)

to JJK2008:

Yes, we used that company in September to go from Budapest to Prague after a river cruise. We picked the option of of a stop over in Bratislava (to break up the trip and to see the town, and for lunch). We were pleased with the company and our driver. I'd use them again. The only complaint I had was that we were a party of four people. The vehicle had plenty room for our large suitcases. But the back seat of the car was a bit small. We had three of us in the back. We are all smaller to average size people, so we were ok. But had we even had one of the group who was larger, we really would have been crammed. That said, I'd still use them again (if traveling just the two of us, or even with these same two friends).