New to NCL Internet

RVman

We've never cruised with NCL but are looking into doing another trip to Cuba next year. I was wondering tho, they want 29.99 a day for wifi internet where I just got off of RCL and their internet was only 12.99 a day unlimited and you could get on it anywhere aboard ship, even in your state rooms. Someone please tell me that NCL internet is now cheaper than the 29.99 a day I saw. I really want to try them out but since we need internet while we're away, I'm concerned with the price of internet. I'm hoping that was a old thread, Thank you

I'm on the Breakaway right now. I got the unlimited internet package. It's not fast, but it is definitely usable. Since my last sailing in January they have now blocked the ports that are used by heavy data hogging apps- Netflix, Spotify, Pandora, YouTube, etc. I use Spotify on a regular basis, wanted to play some music when I'm in the shower, however I never downloaded any songs on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

I'm on the Breakaway right now. I got the unlimited internet package. It's not fast, but it is definitely usable. Since my last sailing in January they have now blocked the ports that are used by heavy data hogging apps- Netflix, Spotify, Pandora, YouTube, etc. I use Spotify on a regular basis, wanted to play some music when I'm in the shower, however I never downloaded any songs on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Use a VPN.

Oh well I will drink the difference lol, on the Sky and the Sun it comes with the unlimited drink package. We want to try NCL bad, we're still looking for that perfect fit, might not ever find it but its fun looking for it. :) Maybe by this time next year their price will have come down, if not its still okay since we get the drink package. Thanks

Do they have a social media package like Carnival? We were able to access Facebook Messenger to talk to our friends on the ship for only $5.00 per day.

The Sky does not have a social media package. Other ships are piloting the service.

We were recently on a RCCL cruise and the streaming Voom package was worse than NCL.

re: VPN and audio or video streaming.

My experience with VPN is that the extra "layer" does slow down the speed.

Meanwhile, why don't people just load movies and music onto their phone/tablets/computers so there is no issue with bandwidth?

The Sky does not have a social media package. Other ships are piloting the service.

We were recently on a RCCL cruise and the streaming Voom package was worse than NCL.

Do you know what ships are piloting this service and is there any time line? We are also coming over from Carnival to try NCL and I like to be able to communicate with my daughter at home on a limited basis, just for peace of mind

re: VPN and audio or video streaming.

My experience with VPN is that the extra "layer" does slow down the speed.

Meanwhile, why don't people just load movies and music onto their phone/tablets/computers so there is no issue with bandwidth?

Then you are using the wrong VPN. It should not slow down bandwidth that much...especially in narrowish bandwidth situations like the ship. I was able to watch NFL football :).

Do you know what ships are piloting this service and is there any time line? We are also coming over from Carnival to try NCL and I like to be able to communicate with my daughter at home on a limited basis, just for peace of mind

Can not answer your question directly, but every ship has some sort of internet for communication. And all allow phone calls at $2.99 a minute.