Question on Traditional dinning and anytime dinning

khlim2005

Theoretically, yes you can ...but. We were on the Star in October with anytime dining and the process for reservations was difficult to say the least.

You had to phone the reservation number at 8:00 a.m. and hope to get through. Only 20% of the tables were available for reservations so you were lucky to get a spot and would not be successful if you phoned later.

People without reservations were lined up for up to 45 minutes for the 5p.m. opening! Many in line had been told reservations were not available and were openly hostile to those who had reservations and who could simply walk in.

We cruise often on many lines and have never before experienced such a problem with anytime dining. In future we will only sail with Princess if we can get traditional dining which basically means no more last minute trips with them. A pity.

We usually get traditional dining. The one time we did anytime dining, we didn't feel we got very good service with our dinners.

We had a table for two and we felt like we didn't get the attention we do in traditional.

Of course, this was just one cruise and I know that the experience is different every cruise and with different crew.

can you make reservations for anytime dining?

We always eat early and never arrive more than 10 or 15 minutes before opening time.

The reservations system is terrible at best, making people call in at 8 AM. If you don't call at exactly that time you'll be out of luck.

As far as I'm concerned they should not have reservations at all. Reservations only slow down the DR by keeping tables out of service until the people arrive.

When you ready to eat- show up at the door. First to arrive should be the first to eat.

can you make reservations for anytime dining?

It is possible but like others have said it isn't easy. If you call the dine line you many never get anyone.

The reservations also revolve around the traditional dining times. If the anytime dining room opens at 5:30 next reservations will most likely be for 7:30.

There are several things that make getting a table in the "anytime" very difficult: arriving between 6 and 7, not wanting to join others or having a large party, not wanting to take a pager and wait for a table. Sea days,formal nights, a special evening show that a large number of people want to attend, or a large number of older passengers usually results in many people wanting to dine early thus longer lines. And the opposite scenario results in many table available when the "anytime" opens.

It is unfortunate that the impression Princess gives that "anytime dining" is your choice is not a fact in practice. :(

Theoretically, yes you can ...but. We were on the Star in October with anytime dining and the process for reservations was difficult to say the least.

You had to phone the reservation number at 8:00 a.m. and hope to get through. Only 20% of the tables were available for reservations so you were lucky to get a spot and would not be successful if you phoned later.

People without reservations were lined up for up to 45 minutes for the 5p.m. opening! Many in line had been told reservations were not available and were openly hostile to those who had reservations and who could simply walk in.

We cruise often on many lines and have never before experienced such a problem with anytime dining. In future we will only sail with Princess if we can get traditional dining which basically means no more last minute trips with them. A pity.

very strange , i had the opposite anytime experience. we got to MDR 15 min before opening and no one was there, i thought we made a mistake on the time or place. then one girl showed up and she was 'first' since we werent at the door, then we got in back of her. sadly, she was traditional and her and her mom had a brief discussion with staff before being told basically come back later or go to your assigned MDR. really awkward. i never really looked behind me to see how many were in line after me but definitely nothing hostile in my short time in line

very strange , i had the opposite anytime experience. we got to MDR 15 min before opening and no one was there, i thought we made a mistake on the time or place. then one girl showed up and she was 'first' since we werent at the door, then we got in back of her. sadly, she was traditional and her and her mom had a brief discussion with staff before being told basically come back later or go to your assigned MDR. really awkward. i never really looked behind me to see how many were in line after me but definitely nothing hostile in my short time in line

It all depends on the age of the crowd. If the ship is packed with people from Florida they usually eat dinner between 3 & 4 PM, so expect a crowd at 5 PM. :D

It all depends on the age of the crowd. If the ship is packed with people from Florida they usually eat dinner between 3 & 4 PM, so expect a crowd at 5 PM. :D

Who eats dinner between 3 & 4?!!!! Even when I lived in Naples for 17 years I didn't even see that!

Miami, it's 8-10 pm!!

Who eats dinner between 3 & 4?!!!! Even when I lived in Naples for 17 years I didn't even see that!

Miami, it's 8-10 pm!!

I don't know about Naples but Miami is a different sort of crowd. Mostly party people who eat dinner late & stay out till 2 or 3 in the morning.

At home we're finished with dinner by 4 PM. :cool:

I know the reference to 'dinning' was a few posts back but I couldn't resist this.

On one cruise we were on there was an officially printed notice from Princess outside one of the dining rooms with dining room spelt with a double 'n'. I couldn't believe it so I took a photo of it.

Miami, it's 8-10 pm!!

Lived for many years in the Panama City/PC Beach area...every restaurant in that area was packed between 6:00 and 8:00...only people that ate between 4:00 - 5:00 were those trying to save a buck...those that ate at 3:00 were having a late lunch!!

well i could never go 8 or 9 hours between meals. my ribs would be showing. ! plus when you eat at 8 what time do you go to bed. definitely not 9 or 10.

Early morning is danish/coffee at the the IC.

Breakfast at 7 AM in the Horizon.

Lunch at 11:30AM in the Horizon.

Dinner in the DR between 5-5:30 (whenever they open).

Late dinner/snack before 11 or 11:30 PM in the Horizon before they close.

It is possible but like others have said it isn't easy. If you call the dine line you many never get anyone.

The reservations also revolve around the traditional dining times. If the anytime dining room opens at 5:30 next reservations will most likely be for 7:30.

There are several things that make getting a table in the "anytime" very difficult: arriving between 6 and 7, not wanting to join others or having a large party, not wanting to take a pager and wait for a table. Sea days,formal nights, a special evening show that a large number of people want to attend, or a large number of older passengers usually results in many people wanting to dine early thus longer lines. And the opposite scenario results in many table available when the "anytime" opens.

It is unfortunate that the impression Princess gives that "anytime dining" is your choice is not a fact in practice. :(

It REALLY seems to vary by ship. I have had NO luck in the past doing Anytime Dining reservations. This fall on the Crown, I called (almost) every morning about 8 and got a reservation for 7 each evening. I did have to wait in the queue for 5 minutes or so most mornings. What surprised me was that when they answered, they started listing every time starting about 5:30. One morning, I didn't call until after 9....still got my 7:00 reservation. YMMV. Also interesting...the person seating people each night was pleading with people lined up to make reservations. It seemed that worked better for the dining room. Forgot to note...each night it was a table for 2. :cool: