gifts/thank you

cabngrl

Give them green gifts (dollars) vs trinkets. While the thought is nice, it is the dollars that make them the happiest. They have so very little room in their cabins, and space is at a premium.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why would Euro be better on a Med cruise over US$? In most cases they are sending money home or saving it to take home. Do they actually stash the cash in their rooms or put it on deposit with the cruise lines to have it transferred home or taken out when they end their run? I doubt many of them have European based bank accounts or spend the money on shore while in port?

There are certain times where the crew are allowed to disembark and go shopping or have fun. If on a Med cruise they need Euros to spend in port, not dollars.

Think about it this way. If one room every trip left them "trinkets" they would end up with literally PILES of stuff. 40 keychains, 40 magnets, 40 hats or t-shirts or shot glasses.

If you really want to do something, fill out the feedback card at GS. That impacts their raises, assignments, etc.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Hello, I would like to leave a few little gifts for our room attendant, any good ideas that have gone over well?

There really aren't any trinkets they need...they just don't have any space to put them. They are on the ship 6 months straight and share their tiny room. They serve thousands of people...imagine what happens when so many people think they want a "small gift/trinket"...its just junk to them in reality.

A gift of thanks is truly the cash.

Why would Euro be better on a Med cruise over US$? In most cases they are sending money home or saving it to take home. Do they actually stash the cash in their rooms or put it on deposit with the cruise lines to have it transferred home or taken out when they end their run? I doubt many of them have European based bank accounts or spend the money on shore while in port?

First, does it matter how or where they spend their money? Why assume, they are sending it home? The ship has their own banking system. If you give the €20,00 than they get off the ship, buy stuff they want, maybe eat a really good pizza, and they don't need to exchange it. Not if you give them $20.00 they will also gladly accept it. But they would rather have the €20,00 because it is $23.12. What happens is that a person, from the USA normally tips $20.00 but are they really going to give the waiter €17.30?

Most crew do not live in USA, so the USD is irrelevant to them. To send money home, they need to convert the money in the bank transfer to their currency. They don't send $ or € but their currency. It all also have a conversion rate. Therefore, they would love the Euro better, because they are getting more money because most are not going to bother figuring out the conversion and therefore they prefer the Euro.

So, why do you doubt they have a European based account, when they are not from the USA? What do you think they have? There are more European crew on the ship, than US crew.

This is a funny story. A cruiser complained the taxi from the hotel cost $100.00 and thought they were ripped off in China. I took the same taxi from the same area of hotels, and it cost me ¥92.00 Now if you round it up to ¥100. The taxi actually only cost $15.07 which is funny that the cruiser gave the taxi drive a $100.00 bill, and thought the taxi was a banker. Of course the taxi was happy to take a 100. He got a $85.00 tip. The moral of the story is, the crew will be happy with the Euro, because they are getting more money because most people fail to do the simple conversion math.

Two posters have already replied to your post, but I'll add to it - Last I looked, many of the crew that serviced my Med cruise vacation were from Europe themselves. Romanians, Polish, Croatians, Sebs, Germans, English, shall I go on? Not all crew are Phillipino, Indonesian, etc.

It's simply easier for the crew to receive the currency of the land where the ship is travelling and it's recommended by experienced cruisers who have been on Med sailings. When in Rome......

They do not want gifts. They may accept them graciously, but they don't want them. They deal with too many people on a week-to-week basis to store or use them.

Keep in mind, a cruise ship employee is giving up everything to feed, house and care for his or her family. It's cash they want and need most.

Give cash if you want it to mean anything.

hi

Along with the extra money, you can use one of the better towel animals to hold a thank you card. It's a nice presentation for their efforts. :)

hope this helps

and if your cabin steward does not regularly create a towel animal, you must seek him out to obtain fresh towels, and he does not service the room even once daily, then no need to give an extra tip. This was our disappointing experience on the Dream in September.

<sigh> These are adults who work very hard.

":Trinkets" are demeaning(IMO). Cash is the currency you pay people who work for you.

I kind of feel the same way. I feel like giving someone little trinkets is treating them like a child or a dog. Either way demeaning. IMO. Money is not demeaning to me. If there is anyone that finds it demeaning, feel free to direct any money my way and I will take the shame. LOL.

and if your cabin steward does not regularly create a towel animal, you must seek him out to obtain fresh towels, and he does not service the room even once daily, then no need to give an extra tip. This was our disappointing experience on the Dream in September.

Wow what you are describing should equal no tip at all and complaint about him to his supervisor

On another thread, it was stated that the crew are not fed the same meals that the passengers have in the MDR. Their suggestion was to bring a nice dessert from dinner and give it to your steward. I did this every night on our last cruise. Our steward was very surprised. She really appreciated the thought. At the end of the cruise, I also gave her a large tip. She did a great job.

:)

There is a reason that crew doesn't eat the same food as guests. Besides being more expensive, many crew are from places with a rice or bean based diet not Americanized meals. I am sure she was surprised and I am also sure it was tossed out. Was it supposed to sit at their station for the next five hours of their shift? Crew are very, very good at managing gracious appreciation for all guests' behavior.

A fruit basket was delivered to my room once on a back to back cruise and we didn't need or have enough room to eat it with all of the food available on the ship. We offered it to our room steward and he was very happy to have it. He told us that the fruit they have available, especially oranges, are not that good. It's whatever is leftover or not presentable for the lido buffet. Ordering a fruit basket and then gifting it with a nice card could work, or you can find some international treats and snacks from an international supermarket. Candy and snacks in asian countries are not as sweet. Coffee candies are always appreciated as well. These things could always be shared with other crew members if there is an allergy problem or something. Skip the magnets and trinkets.

Sent from my iPad using Forums