gifts/thank you

cabngrl

I am going to have to agree with cash is best. It is so sweet of you to want to do something a little more personal that cash but truly taste and customs are so different. And as mentioned their living space is so incredibly small. We always write a note of thanks with comment on how they enhanced our cruise experience.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I am sure you will find this site a very useful resource.

This topic comes up frequently and every time the vast majority agree to simply go with an additional cash gratuity if warranted. You can also mention the person by name on the post cruise survey. That can go a long way!

No trinkets, no CDs of you singing in the shower, no tee shirts or hats, no candy, nothing religious, no perfume or junk jewelry, just a great mention of them by name in your post cruise survey and extra cash. (If doing a Med cruise, use Euros).

On another thread, it was stated that the crew are not fed the same meals that the passengers have in the MDR. Their suggestion was to bring a nice dessert from dinner and give it to your steward. I did this every night on our last cruise. Our steward was very surprised. She really appreciated the thought. At the end of the cruise, I also gave her a large tip. She did a great job.

:)

From what I read, most of the crew work hard for their money and send most of it home to their family. I would just leave a nice sum of cash for them if you want to do extra for them. If anything, they'll be able to buy themselves a nice dinner in port or something nice for themselves.

No trinkets, no CDs of you singing in the shower, no tee shirts or hats, no candy, nothing religious, no perfume or junk jewelry, just a great mention of them by name in your post cruise survey and extra cash. (If doing a Med cruise, use Euros).

Why would Euro be better on a Med cruise over US$? In most cases they are sending money home or saving it to take home. Do they actually stash the cash in their rooms or put it on deposit with the cruise lines to have it transferred home or taken out when they end their run? I doubt many of them have European based bank accounts or spend the money on shore while in port?

On another thread, it was stated that the crew are not fed the same meals that the passengers have in the MDR. Their suggestion was to bring a nice dessert from dinner and give it to your steward. I did this every night on our last cruise. Our steward was very surprised. She really appreciated the thought. At the end of the cruise, I also gave her a large tip. She did a great job.

:)

I’m sure the steward was very shocked, surprised, and amazed.

I hope like all get out that the smiley face meant that your post was in jest. Please.

I’m sure the steward was very shocked, surprised, and amazed.

If for no other reason than the stewards and wait staff are not permitted to consume foods other than those they purchase and the food served in the crew cafeteria. Crew can and are disciplined when found with consumables as described in that post.