Travel From Puerto Rico - Marriott Buyer Beware

1biglug

We checked with the Marriott Stellaris several times before leaving about our hotel being available before we went on our 10/16/17 cruise. I asked specifically about power and availability. Since we were Platinum elite and had prior reservation we were told each time our reservation would be honored. We arrived at 10pm on the 26th and was told by the hotel manager on duty they had no rooms for us, unless we were govt workers. They told us the would move us to the Marriott La Concha.

When we got to the Marriott La Concha we were moved to a sub par room (no rugs even) and doubled our bill rate. When we asked to speak to the hotel manager the sales manager told us we would have to deal with her only. She said the Marriott Stellaris had approved the rate change (we had not!). To our later surprise both hotels are managed by the same district manager and he is manager of the Stellaris.

So he authorized them to double our rate since we had no were to go and even refused any correspondence to explain. A manager at the Stellaris told us the the Marriott hotels order them to move us fro a corner luxury room to a subpar rate and double our rate. It seemed very unethical at the time but we were at their mercy.

So be aware if booking a hotel room at their hotels because they do not honor their rates or their elite members.

I'm also Elite with Marriott. I thought that if a hotel couldn't accommodate you, they will pay for the accommodation and compensate you.

I'd definitely contact Marriott customer service about this. If they won't help, your credit card, since you din't agree to the rate change.

As a platinum, you should get $200 cash and 90,000 points for being walked. here is the relevant section from the Marriott Rewards terms and conditions:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

If an Elite Member has a confirmed reservation, but is relocated from the hotel upon arrival, the property will pay the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation in place on that date under the Program Rules. If an Elite Member receives Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation, then he/she is not eligible to receive additional Elite Benefits Guarantee compensation.

Brandspacer.jpgGuest Compensation* JW Marriott, EDITION, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels,

Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels®, and Gaylord Hotels $200 USD 90,000 points

140,000 points at The Ritz-Carlton hotels

I would definitely call Marriott's dedicated Platinum Elite toll free phone number. What happened to you is not Marriott policy but could be the policy if these hotels are not Marriott owned. My husband is Lifetime Platinum Elite and last year and, when a European Capital City Marriott screwed up our reservation, we were upgraded (at no additional cost) to the Hotel's Presidential suite.

Also hold that status. Unfortunately in a disaster situation (i.e.) Puerto Rico being a major disaster area, Marriott must accommodate government emergency aide workers. You should not have been charged a higher rate but being turned away from the hotel is understandable. If government workers decided they had to stay more nights, tourists and Marriott lose.

The rate paid by the government is much lower than actual tourists.

That stinks. I am really surprised "A manager at the Stellaris told us the Marriott hotels order them to move us fro a corner luxury room to a subpar rate and double our rate".

Never would have thought a Manager would ever say this, even if it was true.

I wouldn't count on any hotels in PR right now. Cruise passengers are a low priority right now.

That is really unfortunate and I'm sorry it happened to you. I was just at the Stellaris on Saturday and everyone was bending over backwards to accommodate, but I heard the past few weeks there weren't very smooth. They are now offering only walk-in availability.