Crossing the Equator ceremony

Playtennis

If you are so interested do a search on You Tube. There are videos of it.

Thanks All. I watched the YouTube video of several of the cruise ship ceremonies and it is a hoot.

I too am a shellback having gone through the ceremony on a gray-hulled vessel many years ago. As a Wog I led an insurrection against the shellbacks on our ship posting threatening notes around the ship before the ceremony. Needless to say it didn't affect the severity of the tribulation.

The second ship I was on was to cross the line and I was looking forward to being part of it as a Shellback. Unfortunately the commodore of our group changed the route and we didn't cross.

I can't imagine the general passenger on an O ship going through anything like what I saw on the videos but I am taking my shellback card with me ;p With the amount of vets that I've met on previous O cruises I would thing that there will be a number of those who have gone through the ritual before.

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. In 1994, DH and I sailed from New Jersey down the Atlantic Coast on Ivaran Line's San Antonio container ship to Buenos Aires and back over 46 days. We crossed the Equator twice, with a ceremony on the way down. It involved a grand barbecue with loads of food and drink. As we crossed, there was water poured on some heads, and certificates for us eight passengers. On the way back, we just had a barbecue.

Mary