Very upset about possible MSC membership fraud

Tatka

I have experienced something today which got me extremely upset. I am very active participant of another cruise forum (non US). Often write about my cruises on that forum.

Today I was PMed with a question if I can scan one of my loyalty membership cards (we are platinums/silvers/selects with several lines) so that person would use this scan,change my name to his and forward to MSC for membership match. He wanted to get to Black level, but even lower levels would be ok.

My answer wasn’t too pleasant to repeat here, but from some other topics/sources I realized that cases like that or when owners themselves adjust their statuses to higher level are somewhat popular.

So I am wondering if MSC actually checks somehow if submitted memberships are valid and belong to the applicants?

I know that MSCs employees read this forum... maybe they can help with this question.

My suspicion is that MSC could care less about match fraud. MSC is essentially the new "player" in the US market and are still working at building their North American image and pulling cruisers away from the other mass market lines. They have obviously made a management decision to use their Loyalty Program as a marketing tool to attract new cruisers from the other lines. They want your business and have sold out their loyalty program to provide an additional incentive for potential customers. If somebody cheats to get a decent match, and then books a MSC cruise...it is a win for MSC.

Hank

I guess this isn't the right time or place to ask for the favor of borrowing something from you....just joking. Where is the integrity of people? If I am going to lie or cheat or game the system it won't be over a black card status. If I am going to throw away who I am and the name my father and grandfather gave me it would have to be over something pretty darn huge. If I am going to set a dishonest example for my kids and their kids, it isn't going to be for a status match. Just sayin. Not holier than thou, but rather just saying intergity is still important amongst the crowd I hang with. Hope that person represents a tiny minority of people out there.

Bra B ... The difference is the name on the cards are not the real names!

Reading it now, I realise how stupid my screen name is, lol

It was supposed to be ‘bra’ for Brasil and ‘Be’ for Belgium, but it failed [emoji23]

Cheers,

Priscila

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Tatka,

That is very upsetting to think that people are trying to scam the system. I think you have found the exception. I believe that 99.999% of the people who cruise are good people. In fact, I have always marveled at just how nice most of the pax I have met really are. I don’t know of any other form of travel or recreation that gathers so many nice people in one place at the same time. Cheer up Tatka...you are in good company. The simple answer is...don’t let anybody steal your identity!:halo:

Thank you for all responses. I was really upset yesterday.

Already read huge topics about all different "smart" ways to remove autogratuities. Don't even open them anymore, but this was the last straw.

I really like Cruise critic, as none of this will fly here.

Just a note, if someone wants to cheat, they can. When I applied for my MSC membership with a screenshot from the RCL site it occured to me that it wouldn't take much skill to simply change my membership status. Considering how easy it is to cheat this process if you want to I'd have to agree with previous posters that MSC probably doesn't care and just wants you money :/ I hope most people are honest about it though.

There are people who will sneak alcohol on board...even in a fake oxygen tank.

There are people who will buy a vest on Amazon for their pet to make it a "service dog" that can be taken anywhere.

There are people who will do lots of dishonest things for their own benefit.

It's best to just live your life the right way. To he11 with those dishonest people.

Thank you for all responses. I was really upset yesterday.

Already read huge topics about all different "smart" ways to remove autogratuities. Don't even open them anymore, but this was the last straw.

I really like Cruise critic, as none of this will fly here.

Before everyone gets tooo upset. This will not work as the black card, I do believe, also has the member number on it soooooo, when trying to register the fradulant name on the card, it will come up with the correct name, hence the fraudulent card should not be activated. Just saying...

Before everyone gets tooo upset. This will not work as the black card, I do believe, also has the member number on it soooooo, when trying to register the fradulant name on the card, it will come up with the correct name, hence the fraudulent card should not be activated. Just saying...

I think you may have misunderstood the OP. It's about someone using someone else's evidence of their membership level with another cruiseline and doctoring it to show their names, then submitting the doctored info to MSC for status matching.

I am not sure MSC can verify RCCL Crown & Anchor number and match it with correct name.

MSC is matching their levels with levels on other lines.

Certainly in the UK and Europe Data Protection Laws would prevent other companies disclosing information to MSC if MSC were to request membership information about a particular person. It would be inappropriate of MSC to ask and illegal for the other line to give that information.

This does of course leave the loophole that the system may be open for abuse - if you know how the system works, what is needed and how to doctor a screen print then you're in. It is immoral, and most possibly illegal as the person claiming membership is obtaining something by deception, however what can be done?

In times of terrorism, major crimes, austerity the police certainly wouldn't be interested in this.

It only works for the first cruise. Starting with the 2nd cruise, you start with only whatever points you have accumulated on the first one.

Not true. It is maintained indefinitely as long as you sail once every three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

MSC has made ownership of the Black card a total joke, how long before a whole ship sailing from Miami are all holders of a Black card!

The least they could have done is have some I.D. on the card which shows those people who have earned a Black card via cruises with them.