Hawaii shore excursions

dsarge390

Hello, Critics.

We will be celebrating our Honeymoon on the Star Princess on Feb.2nd 2018. Can anyone recommend some fun shore excursions?

Are there any driving/walking tours on Hilo that we will be able to witness lava flowing? The tour on the helicopter is a no-go.

The only excursions we are set on is Pearl Harbor.

Thank you all in advance.

Loved the Holokai Sunset Sail. I checked it out on youtube first and saw a pleasant and smooth sail with folks walking around with drinks. We had much rougher water and had to hang on tight. It was GREAT! :)

https://sailholokai.com/activities/sunset-sail/

We also greatly enjoyed Wings Over Kauai

https://www.wingsoverkauai.com/

Hilo is an easy port to rent a car and drive to Volcano National Park. You won't get close to the lava but there is lots to see and you can walk through dormant lava tubes. Then have lunch and drive to the black sand beach to see the turtles nesting.

The rental companies pick you up at the ship and take you to the airport to pick up your rental (5 minutes away).

When we were in Hawaii in June (not on a cruise), we drove from Hilo (can't remember exactly--maybe 30 min.) to the end of the road toward where lava was flowing then. There were lots of bicycle rental places set up. We had reservations, but probably didn't need them. It was about a 4 mile bike ride to where you could see lava flowing into the ocean; the outfit we went with gave us a ride 2 mile in, so we had a 2 mile ride--not a difficult one. We were able to go before dark & stay past dark (headlamps were included with bike). I don't know how long you are in Hilo, so don't know if you'd have time for this. Also,I really don't know whether lava is flowing in the same place. You could check the Hawaii volcanoes website to find out. Sorry I don't have place names for you, but I'm not at home & can't remember them.