obc and tipping question

scrapperv

Hi,I have tried to find the info , no luck so far so I need to ask. We will be sailing for the first time in Feb. We are going to be on the Independence of the Seas. I have OBC ,should I wait to use onboard or use online with the Cad exchange? Oh and can you use OBC for anything to do with the ship?With shore excursions that are shown online are there more on the ship or only which is shown on the web site? Do you prefer to book thru the ship or other online places for excursions? Iknow to eat at Johnny Rockets its a charge, do you tip extra at this place ? Has anyone ate at the MYstery dinners and knows the cost? I cant find a direct answer online on cost or if this ship has this dinner for sure? Also if eating at MDR can you take your leftovers to the room? Thanks so much for all your help. So excited 105 days to go. ps how do I make a countdown on here? :D

Hi,I have tried to find the info , no luck so far so I need to ask. We will be sailing for the first time in Feb. We are going to be on the Independence of the Seas. I have OBC ,should I wait to use onboard or use online with the Cad exchange?
your choice
Oh and can you use OBC for anything to do with the ship?
yes
With shore excursions that are shown online are there more on the ship or only which is shown on the web site?
they show them all online, usually
Do you prefer to book thru the ship or other online places for excursions?
I book privately, but I am an experienced cruiser. I used ship's excursions for my first cruise; there is peace of mind.
I know to eat at Johnny Rockets its a charge, do you tip extra at this place ?
They will gladly accept more gratuity. It's not required.
Has anyone eaten at the Mystery dinners and knows the cost? I cant find a direct answer online on cost or if this ship has this dinner for sure?
If it is offered on your sailing it will show up in your Cruise Planner.
Also if eating at MDR can you take your leftovers to the room?
Yes, but why? There is so much food available on the ship. The refrigerator in your room is not very cold and I do not trust it to keep food safe.
Thanks so much for all your help. So excited 105 days to go. ps how do I make a countdown on here? :D

Enjoy your first cruise. :)

A comment on OBC. You can use it before the cruise for booking excursions, upcharge dining, drink packages, etc. Or you can choose not to use it. It shows on your account as a "credit." As you pay for anything on the ship, makes no difference what it is, they deduct the cost from the OBC until it's gone. That included tips, drinks, specialty dining, shore excursions, etc. So it's really your choice when you want to use it. I have no idea how the exchange rate affects OBC. I assume OBC is in U.S. Dollars so it should exchange equally. But if you're worried, save it for on board.

There is so much food available on the ship. The refrigerator in your room is not very cold and I do not trust it to keep food safe.

:)

This may be a valid point, but a few reasons to bring your leftovers to your room are the same as in normal life:

If it's high quality / better food than you normally eat and you like it, you may really look forward to enjoying the rest of it, though arguably some dishes will no longer be at their best after aging a few hours and being chilled

Food waste is a huge problem on this planet and certainly makes no more sense at sea where they either need to store your rotting leavings, or dump them into the sea, simply because you can get more for 'free.' There is always a cost to waste.

You don't want to put on pants and go back out among the conscious during the wee hours to get fresh pizza or even leave the cabin first thing in the mo for breakfast.

This may be a valid point, but a few reasons to bring your leftovers to your room are the same as in normal life:

You don't want to put on pants and go back out among the conscious during the wee hours to get fresh pizza or even leave the cabin first thing in the mo for breakfast.

OP was asking about MDR leftovers. MDR may give you a cover to put over your leftovers, or dessert to go; however, they are not in the business of boxing up leftovers to go. Just not necessary.

If you are hungry in the middle of the night and don't want to dress, take fruit or cookies from the buffet. You can order breakfast, no charge, from room service.