Taking Drone on Cruise

glennmartin

Since you can bring your drone....can I bring my crossbow?

what about my samurai sword collection?

I could careless what anyone brings on board. What you do with it is a different matter. Take your sword would be held by security just like a drone. Your sword or crossbow will not affect me since it is locked away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Per NCL website's prohibited items list:

The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard.

22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones

Why do you think this does not apply to you?

It's not a question of it not applying to everyone, because it does. The question is to what extent NCL applies it to anyone in reality. If we could take the information on NCL's website at face value as a reliable indicator of how things are actually done on board (or at booking/check-in/boarding/disembarkation/etc.), there would be no need for most of the threads on this forum.

Per NCL website's prohibited items list:

The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard.

22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones

Like always, with some, they pick and choose which rules they will abide by.

The biggest issue is how will effect NCL. Drones that people take on trips are more like a camera then anything else. That's the whole reason people take them. Looking at the number of drones produced is huge and if the start taking away $1000+ cameras just because they can fly may cause issues with getting repeat business from those who can afford nice drones.

Just like other things on the list. Some of them will be transport anyway because it does no harm if security has it while on board.

Like always, with some, they pick and choose which rules they will abide by.
As with any rule there can be exceptions. There are a lot of rules no one follows... Aka how many people have gone to the restroom when the seat belt light is lit.

Companies make these rules to cover themselves as well., but in some cases it just takes asking permission. A prior cruise I didn't take a nice video camera because of the rules of the site we visited and when I got there I was told... "oh that would be ok" once I explained why I had a professional grade video camera and in turn lost the chance of getting great video.

As with any rule there can be exceptions. There are a lot of rules no one follows... Aka how many people have gone to the restroom when the seat belt light is lit.

If there are exceptions to the rule about drones, then it would be carefully worded on the prohibited items list. If the item was not prohibited, then it wouldn't be on the list. Just say, I won't follow that rule. Just because someone breaks a rule (like going to the restroom when the seat belt is on), then I guess it makes it okay to break any rule someone doesn't want to follow, sorry but that logic doesn't work for many.

If we could take the information on NCL's website at face value as a reliable indicator of how things are actually done on board (or at booking/check-in/boarding/disembarkation/etc.), there would be no need for most of the threads on this forum.

That would require a large number of people actually reading what is on the website before starting a new thread.....it'll never happen.

I could careless what anyone brings on board. What you do with it is a different matter. Take your sword would be held by security just like a drone. Your sword or crossbow will not affect me since it is locked away.

You could care less? Or you couldn't care less? :evilsmile:

I recently was on the Escape and brought my DJI Mavic along for the ride. Absolutely no problems or concerns from the ships staff. I never used it while on or near the ship. Used it only to film sail away of a few ships the day prior to our cruise, Miami beach, here and there while at Little French Key and various little clips at our ports. Keep in mind the Mavic is very small and doesn't draw much attention. Our room steward thought it was the coolest thing and kept asking about it. She even wanted to try piloting it one day but our schedules never lined up. Best of luck! It can be done, and yes it can be done responsibly as well!

Just because someone breaks a rule (like going to the restroom when the seat belt is on), then I guess it makes it okay to break any rule someone doesn't want to follow, sorry but that logic doesn't work for many.
No one is saying it's OK to break any rule. This thread is only about one specific rule and how strictly NCL enforces it.

Someone with the authority to make an exception is not the same as someone taking it upon themself to make an exception.
No one of this site can tl who has authority or not. Each captain has final say and they can also deligate that further down. It is not like every exception needs to reach the CEO.

Companies also rarely post exceptions to websites as it can become to complex and hard to maintain.

With that said. Talking to a management level person with security who is responsible in keeping things off the ship is good enough for me. They are not going to risk their job by saying yes when those above them told them no. They know if they or who above them has that ability. In fact the first person in security I asked referred me to a person above them.

No one of this site can tl who has authority or not. Each captain has final say and they can also deligate that further down. It is not like every exception needs to reach the CEO.

The point is that you (the guest) are not authorized to make the exception. Someone else has to make that decision.

You used the example of going to the restroom when the "fasten seatbelts" light is on. That is an example of the passenger creating an exception for themself.

If you used an example such as "...the head of security allowed me to...", that would be an example of being given an exception, not making one.

With that said. Talking to a management level person with security who is responsible in keeping things off the ship is good enough for me. They are not going to risk their job by saying yes when those above them told them no. They know if they or who above them has that ability. In fact the first person in security I asked referred me to a person above them.

Again, there is nothing wrong with asking. It is the expectation of an exemption that is wrong.

If someone is asking if they are allowed to bring a drone, the official answer is "no".

If someone is asking if they bring a drone and it is found by security, what will likely happen is that the drone will be allowed off of the ship in port then returned to security upon the guest's return to the ship.

It's possible that the drone won't be discovered and the guest can use it.....until someone complains.

Another possibility is that the drone will be confiscated and returned to the guest upon disembarkation.

Agreed. Don't annoy people by buzzing around their heads. Keep it away from people.

FAA Safety Guidelines

• Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Be aware of airspace requirements and restrictions
  • Stay away from surrounding obstacles
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol

Just curious because I really don't know but do any of the Caribbean countries have rules against the use of drones?

I can't speak for other countries but I can tell you that you have to have written approval to bring a drone into Belize. They will confiscate it and fine you if you are found to have one without approval.

• 1 month later...

This is interesting. I was actually looking at going on a couple of NCL this year and next. That is a deal breaker for me if that's the truth. Carnival will let you bring it but must remain in your room.

Here is a drone video I put together from a cruise we got back from a couple weeks ago.

[YOUTUBE]qHmvIkBWutg[/YOUTUBE]

This is interesting. I was actually looking at going on a couple of NCL this year and next. That is a deal breaker for me if that's the truth. Carnival will let you bring it but must remain in your room.

Here is a drone video I put together from a cruise we got back from a couple weeks ago.

[YOUTUBE]qHmvIkBWutg[/YOUTUBE]

They state that they are not allowed on board. You got lucky.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4090/~/carnival-corporation-prohibited-items