Taking Drone on Cruise

glennmartin

They state that they are not allowed on board. You got lucky.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4090/~/carnival-corporation-prohibited-items

This is from their website:

The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only . All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom. Drone Cameras Snorkel gear...

This is interesting. I was actually looking at going on a couple of NCL this year and next. That is a deal breaker for me if that's the truth. Carnival will let you bring it but must remain in your room.

Here is a drone video I put together from a cruise we got back from a couple weeks ago.

qHmvIkBWutg

Very cool drone footage!

only while at sea. i take it into port with me. just like you can see in the video that i did

Those shots inside the ship and at the pool were from your drone or a video camera?? Were you holding the drone?

The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only . All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom. Drone Cameras Snorkel gear...

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4090/~/carnival-corporation-prohibited-items

Prohibited Items list

The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason, unless required in direct support of ship operations, as part of a crew member's official duties, and only with consent of the Ship's Master.

Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item is determined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed.

Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones

Also on that list is firearms, and I can tell you from personal experience that with prior permission, and reason, they will allow you to bring firearms. They don't allow you to have them on board, but they will return them to you in designated ports where you can lawfully possess them. Carnival will at any rate, had no reason to bring one on NCL as of yet.

Sure. And did you even take a second to read the link I provided? As you can see, it's also from their website. :rolleyes: I'm just saying, they state that they are not allowed on board. They might contradict themselves, but this is one that can go either way.

Good to know NCL isn't the only company that will say 2 different things. :D

Sure. And did you even take a second to read the link I provided? As you can see, it's also from their website. :rolleyes: I'm just saying, they state that they are not allowed on board. They might contradict themselves, but this is one that can go either way.

Good to know NCL isn't the only company that will say 2 different things. :D

Yes I read that. Either way, I always call before hand at least a few times so it is documented on their end. So far I've always been able to take my drone. This last time I took 2 LOL. Hopefully I'll never run into a situation where they take it. I also bring it as a carry on. not sure if that makes a difference.

Also, whenever boarding the ship from the originating port or from the visitng ports, security always makes me open it (because of the batteries). once i explain it is a drone they pass me through.

• 3 months later...
What date? What drone?

I'll be bringing mine on our next cruise. Plenty of people bring them, then just don't want you flying them or even taking them out when on the ship. I know two people who brought them on this past summer, one on the BA the other on the Gem. Worse comes to worse security will keep it and give it to you when you exit at a ship, upon returning to the ship you give it back to them. This was not a problem at all

have you gone on your cruise, yet? did you get your drone on board?

FAA Safety Guidelines

•  
  • Fly at or below 400 feet

• Be aware of airspace requirements and restrictions

• Stay away from surrounding obstacles

• Keep your UAS within sight

• Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports

• Never fly over groups of people

• Never fly over stadiums or sports events

• Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires

• Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol

For those thinking of using this in New York, I advise you read the regulations as they apply above. Specifically airspace restrictions. The Port in NY is within the combined Class B airspace for LaGuardia, JFK and Newark. There is very dense helicopter traffic and light aircraft traffic up and down the Hudson. There is a very busy heliport three or so blocks south. Operating over a cruise ship with Passengers is operating over large groups of people. The rules of the ship’s notwithstanding, you may be violating regulations or putting the safety of others in danger.

This may not be a ‘popular’ response that will get me brownie points with this group but it’s the truth. Enjoy and have fun with UAV Operations, just please do so in accordance with safe operating practices and regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Royal Caribbean recently changed their drone policy. Expect others to follow as drones become more mainstream.

https://cruiseveryday.com/rci-drone-policy/

Got tired of everyone bringing them and checking them in and out of security at every port I'll bet.

Still, I can see some serious issues happening with people that think since the ship let them bring it on they can take it at every port.

Bring your FAA registration certificate. Make sure the registration number is clearly labeled on the aircraft.

Contact the appropriate civil

aviation authorities for each port of call in advance of your cruise for authorization to bring them into the country. Obtain written copies of the authorizations and bring them with you to each of the ports of call.

Be aware of the UAV laws for each country and the proximities to the no fly zones.

Following the above rules I have been able to bring drones on the last 4 cruises I’ve taken in the past year.

have you gone on your cruise, yet? did you get your drone on board?

Yes I brought it on our 14 day cruise on the BA. No issues at all. I took it off at every port, and when returning to the ship they just waived me thru. I was stopped once, the head of security was very interested in it and we had a short conversation about them. On and off at 6 ports, unfortunately it was too windy at any port to fly. Hopefully next time

However I did get a Great Time Lapse video of our sail away at night.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRbbj-7Eo94

And some pretty good snorkeling video.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xvf0WK1J9I

Breakaway Vibe Tour.....

Breakaway Thermal Spa Tour....

Edited by Laszlo

• 1 month later...

Here is what is posted on NCL web page ...

PROHIBITED ITEMS LIST

The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item is determined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed.

• 1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
  • 2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their components
  • 3. Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • 4. Any other projectile-weapon or item that resembles or can be mistaken as a firearm (e.g., paint ball guns)
  • 5. All ammunition or replica ammunition for listed line items 2, 3 & 4
  • 6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
  • 7. Fireworks, flares, and pyrotechnics
  • 8. Martial Arts Weapons (i.e. throwing stars, flails)
  • 9. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • 10. Open razors
  • 11. Swords, Skean Dhus, or Kirpans
  • 12. Spears or spear guns
  • 13. Crossbows, crossbow bolts, and long bow arrows
  • 14. Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, telescopic batons, batons, flails or nunchaku
  • 15. Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
  • 16. Restraining Devices (i.e. handcuffs, leg, and head restraining straps)
  • 17. Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals. (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, lighter fuel, etc.)
  • 18. Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  • 19. Stun devices (i.e. Tazers and Stun Guns)
  • 20. Large batteries
  • 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothing irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
  • 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • 23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway’s
  • 24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and large aerosol cans
  • 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers
  • 26. Any form of radio/ telephone signal jamming equipment
  • 27. Samsung Note 7
  • 28. Candles

Great underwater videos.. What drone did you use? and where are those videos please ...

Yes I brought it on our 14 day cruise on the BA. No issues at all. I took it off at every port, and when returning to the ship they just waived me thru. I was stopped once, the head of security was very interested in it and we had a short conversation about them. On and off at 6 ports, unfortunately it was too windy at any port to fly. Hopefully next time

However I did get a Great Time Lapse video of our sail away at night.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRbbj-7Eo94

And some pretty good snorkeling video.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xvf0WK1J9I

Breakaway Vibe Tour.....

Edited by thunter1224

Laszlo.. I love your videos and I see you were using a GOPRO 6 on the time laps video leaving NYC at night .. I am guessing it was taken from a balcony.. but how did you munt the camera , since it has no tripod mount on the camera ?

Breakaway Vibe Tour.....

you have not right to privacy when in public and you have the right to video or take picures in public of anyone as well
I was working on my sprinklers in my backyard when a drone buzzed 20 feet over my head. I'm not sure what the legal definition of "out in public" means, but it certainly passes the threshold of "jerk" in my book. Incidents like this stoke the ire of many.

I'm confident you fly responsibly, but there are a few bad apples that spoil it for everyone.

Edited by mpk

• 1 month later...

Did you pack it in your suitcase or carry on?

What date? What drone?

I'll be bringing mine on our next cruise. Plenty of people bring them, then just don't want you flying them or even taking them out when on the ship. I know two people who brought them on this past summer, one on the BA the other on the Gem. Worse comes to worse security will keep it and give it to you when you exit at a ship, upon returning to the ship you give it back to them. This was not a problem at all

I had my Mavic Air in my carry on bags aboard the NCL Bliss’ inaugural Alaska sailing in the beginning of June. No issues taking it on or off in port.

However I never had a chance to use it because every port in Alaska had seaplane traffic. So I didn’t get any aerial video.

Hi Ian18, Wlecome to Cruise Crtitic.

If you have looked at the thread, drones are strictly prohibited. You may not bring them on any NCL ship in your hand carry or suitcase. If they are found in your suitcase, security will confiscate your suitcase and you will spend time on the first day of your cruise waiting in a [long] line (with all of the other people with contraband) to recover your belongings, less the drone.

Laszlo.. I love your videos and I see you were using a GOPRO 6 on the time laps video leaving NYC at night .. I am guessing it was taken from a balcony.. but how did you munt the camera , since it has no tripod mount on the camera ?

Thanks, I use the large JOBY, it wraps around the railing nicely. I use a Mavic Pro for my drone work. I put it in checked luggage. I know at least a dozen people who have gone this way and its never been an issue. They might see it when you come back from a port, its not big deal. Take our the video card before you board, they will hold it in a secure location and you can get it back when leaving the next port.