new deli menu

difi

I personally don't like the new deli menu.

I just came off the glory 9 days ago and the sandwiches are pre made and sitting out on a shelf, then heated or pressed.

I work for a health dept and seeing that they were sitting out in the open.... No freaking way was I eating one of these sandwiches; especially the turkey.

I personally missed the turkey on a country roll.

Yeah this was kinda my thought too. Meat sitting out grosses me out. Inadvertent workaround I found: special order one without something. I wanted the chicken wrap but don’t like tomatoes, the woman working told me they could make me one but it would be about 5 minutes. Not the best way to make friends if there’s a line, but if you really want to try it, go when it’s slow and request a modification of something.

Yes, Lox and bagels and cream cheese have always been on the deli menu.

DH gets it all the time .

Subway doesn't pre make sandwiches. They have all the fixings and they put the sandwich together when you tell them what you want. Then they heat it up if you want it toasted or hot.

I cannot imagine pre making a meat ball sandwich and having the meatballs sitting out in the bread?????

A question for those who have experienced the new Deli Menu. Will they "custom make" a sandwich; such as the pastrami/corned beef, like they used to have, or is it a "no substitutions" thing?

Edited by jayscore
content

A question for those who have experienced the new Deli Menu. Will they "custom make" a sandwich; such as the pastrami/corned beef, like they used to have, or is it a "no substitutions" thing?

Speaking only from my experience on the Magic last week....Yes they will but you’ll have to wait a bit to get it.

Wondering the same thing specifically on Vista. I would have no issue waiting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Only problem is there have been reports that the sandwiches have been premade. Prefer them made to order so I can get it my way.

yes they were premade, so if you didn't like something on it, staff was not happy that they would have to actually make a whole new sandwich.

I just got off the Glory on Nov 11th. Staff explained that they are premade to reduce wait time. There was always still a line when we passed. you can see the sandwiches on the shelf behind the staff. they had pretty much every sandwich made. There was no line so we just stood there talking to him and he explained the process. They will take the sandwich and add the condiments /press it if its hot. I guess they premake them to keep you from waiting while they slice the meat like they used to.

Every good deli in the U.S. slices meats to order, it's not rocket science. These guys at the deli are not trained line cooks. There is no sense of urgency, minimal training, and have no ability to multi task. I say this because I own a restaurant and have been in the industry for 40 years. We have a time frame to serve guests.

After reading and replying to other threads on this topic I have come up with my own way of doing this. . I don't care for the pretzel roll so to get turkey I have to order it and then order whatever sandwich has the bread I want. This is a waste of food and I hate that, but if that's what I have to do to get what I want I will do it.

Candi

Is there a list of which ships have the new menu and which don't?

Is it for sure rolled out on all ships??

Do we know if they are using 2 different menus since there were 2 different ones posted??

No, not all ships, very few in fact. Vista, Breeze, Conquest and Glory that I am aware of as of October.

The sandwiches are premade, but they go so fast-they aren't sitting out long.

That doesn't matter to the Vessel Sanitation Program inspectors with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If just one house fly is observed on these exposed foods during an inspection Carnival will have to go back to square one.

Here's an item from the inspection of the Carnival Miracle done in July of this year per the CDC website. While this example does not pertain to the current method of pre-made sandwiches sitting out unprotected it does offer some clues (imo) as to what the future holds as per the CDC regs for Carnival.

"Item No.: 19Site: Buffet-DeliViolation: Passengers were standing at the counter less than 1 meter (40 inches) from where crew were actively preparing sandwiches and this food was not protected.Recommendation: Protect food on display from contamination by the use of packaging; counter, service line, or salad bar food guards; display cases; self-closing hinged lids; or other effective means. Install side protection for sneeze guards if the distance between exposed food and where consumers are expected to stand is less than 1 meter (40 inches)."

Another example per the same CDC report indicated the presence of flying insects:

"Item No.: 39Site: Buffet-Chinese StationViolation: One live fruit fly was observed by upright refrigerator 70.Recommendation: Effectively control the presence of insects to minimize their presence in the food storage, preparation, and service areas and warewashing and utensil storage areas aboard a vessel.

And here again from same CDC report:housefly.

"Item No.: 39Site: Galley-Buffet/Garde MangerViolation: One live house fly was observed by the deli slicer.Recommendation: Effectively control the presence of insects to minimize their presence in the food storage, preparation, and service areas and warewashing and utensil storage areas aboard a vessel.

Edited by sanmarcosman