Captain's Voice from the Bridge, Can people be quie for ten minutes??

sail7seas

Exactly what I was talking about. I even asked at front desk, audio not available on TVs. This was Feb - so it might have been added by now, that I wouldn't know. I will try next month to see if it is once again available.

I experienced the audio on the aft camera channel on the Oosterdam last December and this November on the Westerdam. It may not be on all ships, but it is an easy change to do, so it should be across all ships that have the interactive TV's soon. Another TV feature we saw this month on the Westerdam was during disembarkation, they display the various luggage tag colours and the expected times they will be called to disembark. It is on the initial channel you get when the TV is first turned on, very convenient. They do not seem to be interactive, e.g. in real time. They are the best guesstimates they plan for if everything goes as planned in the terminal with immigration and customs. In Rome, it went exactly as scheduled. In Ft. Lauderdale, they were running 45 minutes to an hour behind the displayed schedule. But that is the typical SNAFU for Ft. Lauderdale.

It’s definitely hard to hear the captain, sometimes. God forbid he make an announcement during an actual emergency. Some people wouldn’t even know the ship was going down until they went back for thirds at the buffet and noticed the dessert station taking on water.

Thanks for the laugh!

I read a book about 15 years ago that completely opened my eyes regarding these kinds of situations.

In simplest terms:

-- You cannot change the behavior of others, only your own response, and

-- Don't complain about the problem, find a solution.

There's no way I could impose my wishes on everyone dining at the Lido -- even if I wanted to (which I don't). Contemplating ways to do that is an exercise in futility. So if the Captain's message is that important to me, I would find somewhere where I can listen to it in (relative) quiet and then I would dine afterwards. If the captain is one who addresses passengers at 1:00 rather than noon I would adjust my plan accordingly and dine first. One has choices....

I'm also curious about what happens when the captain imparts critical information regarding something like weather conditions at noon and 90% of the passengers are ashore? Or are these messages issued at a different time of day when ships are in port? Wouldn't such info be best distributed to passenger cabins via a note under the door or similar?? :confused:

I'm also curious about what happens when the captain imparts critical information regarding something like weather conditions at noon and 90% of the passengers are ashore? Or are these messages issued at a different time of day when ships are in port? Wouldn't such info be best distributed to passenger cabins via a note under the door or similar?? :confused:

On port days those announcements are usually just before sailing. Of course if your tour is running late, you probably won't hear it. But that is the time I've always heard it on port days - not the noon hour.

I don’t dispute that it is a sign of respect to stop talking when the captain makes his announcements. I do dispute that every Time the captain makes an announcement, it contains important information. If there were a true emergency situation, the Bell System would be initiated, causing people to take note of what is happening.

I, too, would never try to silence everyone in the Lido because I want to hear the announcements of where exactly we are in the sea and what the weather is going to be. Some things are just not worth getting my knickers in a twist.

I don’t dispute that it is a sign of respect to stop talking when the captain makes his announcements. I do dispute that every Time the captain makes an announcement, it contains important information. If there were a true emergency situation, the Bell System would be initiated, causing people to take note of what is happening.

I, too, would never try to silence everyone in the Lido because I want to hear the announcements of where exactly we are in the sea and what the weather is going to be. Some things are just not worth getting my knickers in a twist.

Yes, that sums it up.:D

And then there is the more typical Captain that tells you the speed, course, closest land mass, etc. Most of this is info available by looking on your cabin TV..

"Most"? Not even close! For instance, the TV is not telling me that tonight, between 2 and 6 AM you'd better be careful when walking around the ship. That's important information IMHO.

And a pet peeve of mine, I want to see even more than the Captain says, either on my TV or via the Navigator App. A recurring subject in MDR is what that helicopter was doing or why the ship was delayed for 2 hours. I really really don't understand why such information is witheld from passengers, and I can only assume it is on purpose. All such information passes the bridge, it just takes one officer to "Twitter" a message like "The azipod on portside is being serviced till Thirsday". No more need for the many threads on CC started by passengers who basically ask "What the hell is happening on my ship?". cf. the threads where people are trying to put bits and pieces together "Since this morning, the crew is handling all food" to guestimate the number of Noro-infected passengers. How about "Today we had a sudden 34 more reported cases of GI so we went to Code Red. Please wash your hands". Really, why should that kind of information be kept secret from us?

Also, people would discuss their hobbies and the next port in MDR instead of gossiping about nautical affairs and googling Noro during their vacation.

"Most"? Not even close! For instance, the TV is not telling me that tonight, between 2 and 6 AM you'd better be careful when walking around the ship. That's important information IMHO.

And a pet peeve of mine, I want to see even more than the Captain says, either on my TV or via the Navigator App. A recurring subject in MDR is what that helicopter was doing or why the ship was delayed for 2 hours. I really really don't understand why such information is witheld from passengers, and I can only assume it is on purpose. All such information passes the bridge, it just takes one officer to "Twitter" a message like "The azipod on portside is being serviced till Thirsday". No more need for the many threads on CC started by passengers who basically ask "What the hell is happening on my ship?". cf. the threads where people are trying to put bits and pieces together "Since this morning, the crew is handling all food" to guestimate the number of Noro-infected passengers. How about "Today we had a sudden 34 more reported cases of GI so we went to Code Red. Please wash your hands". Really, why should that kind of information be kept secret from us?

Also, people would discuss their hobbies and the next port in MDR instead of gossiping about nautical affairs and googling Noro during their vacation.

Next time you see the Captain or Hotel Director, ask them why?

On the Noro stricken ships we have been on, one Captain kept us fully informed (Captain Gundersen). He gave percentages not actual numbers but it didn't take rocket science to figure it out. He also made it clear that he had no plans to cross the Atlantic with a Noro ship and if the passengers wouldn't adhere and listen to the crew, they would be put off the ship at the last port before crossing. (There were a few giving crew a VERY hard time and frankly, I loved his statement). We crossed the Atlantic Noro free :)

On our N Amsterdam cruise we knew there was Noro and while they did update us they never gave us a clue as to where we stood. We ended up besiged with it for 20 days.

But the worst was...

On our O cruise, I knew we had Noro before they announced it by the closing of the laundry and watching crew. They announced it two days later which was wrong IMO. We got more info from the CDC website than from the Captain/crew. We were considered so badly infected that we were refused admittance to Bermuda (which was supposed to be an overnight).

Some captains are very good at informing and others are not.

Just because someone is good at their job does not always mean they are good at communicating ;). So, until there is better communication, you will see comments, concerns and best guesses - even on LIVE threads ;)

So, until there is better communication, you will see comments, concerns and best guesses - even on LIVE threads ;)

Exactly! All it takes is a junior officer to enter a "Tweet from the Bridge", and maybe ask the Captain for permission to click Send.

From my professional life I know that "Yes, that's a serious problem, we know and explained it in our latest blog, we're working very hard to solve it but let me explain why solving this is harder than you think, what actions we have already taken, and why it may take a week or even more to solve it" leads to very satisfied customers. "Let me assure you that we have tested our software. You might think there's are problem but rest assured, there isn't. We're the professionals, you're just using our product and wouldn't understand how we make our software anyway" leads to ex-customers really fast.

I know some think that the announcements are muffled but I rarely if ever have trouble hearing them.

They're muffled because general announcements (not safety related) are only broadcast in public areas (not including staterooms), which is why we have to open our cabin door whenever we want to hear one.

Are you serious? We've seen it every we are in the Lido at lunch..

You quoted the wrong person. You still have edit time so you can fix it ;)

Yes, I am pretty sure sapper1 was serious. We don't see a lot of bathrobes in the Lido at lunch either. Maybe it's the difference between 7 day cruises and 20 - 30 day cruises???

Yes, I am pretty sure sapper1 was serious. We don't see a lot of bathrobes in the Lido at lunch either. Maybe it's the difference between 7 day cruises and 20 - 30 day cruises???

No need to fix, hopefully my point was understood. And that is from our experience, bathing suits in the Lido at lunch are not uncommon. Bathrobes had nothing to do with the comment I was responding to.

Yes, I am pretty sure sapper1 was serious. We don't see a lot of bathrobes in the Lido at lunch eithe Maybe it's the difference between 7 day cruises and 20 - 30 day cruises???

Huh? The way this sounds...... is that the way you mean for it to sound? Whoa, I'll give the benefit of the doubt and hope you may not have wanted the message to sound thtat way. . M ay I remind you the cruise on which we met, my DH and I were aboard for 14 days (a collector cuise) but you and your DH were aboard for 7 days. Westerdam... I don't recall batrhrobes in Lido being a prob lem on that cruise, do you?
Edited by sail7seas

] Huh? The way this sounds...... is that the way you mean for it to sound? Whoa, I'll give the benefit of the doubt and hope you may not have wanted the message to sound thtat way. . M ay I remind you the cruise on which we met, my DH and I were aboard for 14 days (a collector cuise) but you and your DH were aboard for 7 days. Westerdam... I don't recall batrhrobes in Lido being a prob lem on that cruise, do you?

Of course, I remember. My only 7 day in years. I saw no bathing suits or bathrobes on that 7 day cruise. The fact is that we rarely do those so I was speaking from my recent experiences which tend to be longer cruises. I didn't think our experiences from so long ago were appropriate or relevant.

Edited by kazu

I read a book about 15 years ago that completely opened my eyes regarding these kinds of situations.

In simplest terms:

-- You cannot change the behavior of others, only your own response, and

-- Don't complain about the problem, find a solution.

There's no way I could impose my wishes on everyone dining at the Lido -- even if I wanted to (which I don't). Contemplating ways to do that is an exercise in futility. So if the Captain's message is that important to me, I would find somewhere where I can listen to it in (relative) quiet and then I would dine afterwards. If the captain is one who addresses passengers at 1:00 rather than noon I would adjust my plan accordingly and dine first. One has choices....

One of the best posts I have ever read, on any chat forum I have belonged to. Thank you very much! (And "heck YES" to the part about only being able to change one's own reaction to another's behaviour -- that is a guiding principle in my life.)

Again, thank you very much for that insightful, truth-filled post (y)

Edited by VennDiagram

There's no way I could impose my wishes on everyone dining at the Lido -- even if I wanted to (which I don't). Contemplating ways to do that is an exercise in futility.

You could ask the person at the next table to speak softer for just a couple of minutes. I think most people would grant such a request.

I don't think the OP was asking if there was a way to impose on everybody. One can take a small step towards improving a situation. It's not "all or nothing".

The atmosphere on a ship still hints at standards a little higher than most places on land. There's some small sense of all being on a common journey. It's not a floating hotel, yet.

On our Alaska cruise in May/June on the Amsterdam, we were at the Mariner's Luncheon and could not hear any of the comments made by the officers. I found this to be extremely rude when so much effort had been put into the menu and serving of a lovely meal.

See I think that is a totally different situation. People knew when they accepted that it was a more formal affair with a program of some type involved. It is rude to talk during the speeches or whatever.

On the other hand , asking 600+ people to stop talking during their lunch on their vacation is unrealistic. If the Captain has an important announcement he’ll get that point across. If not and what the captain is saying is important to you go someplace quiet and listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums