Strange experince in Runaway Bay/Jewel Beach Resort

DukeBlueDevil

We just returned from our Disney Fantasy cruise (10/28), and we had a strange experience there that I wanted share to see if I am overreacting. We decided to take the Disney excursion to the Jewel Beach resort for the day. The resort was amazing, and we had a great time.

I will preface this with that fact that we have two year old twin boys who receive a lot of attention wherever we go because they are identical and really cute. We were wrapping up our day b/c it was almost time for the bus to come get us. We were all dressed, and my husband went to take pictures of the beach, & I was taking care of my bubs as they played on chairs near the pool. Three Jamaican women (I don't think they worked for the resort) came up to us, and I guess, were admiring/staring at my twins. One of them picked up one of my twins and said "Can I have you? Do you want to come home with me?" It made me feel pretty uncomfortable - the way that she said it seemed like she was about to kidnap my baby. She did not say it in a nice way. I quickly gathered them up, and went to look for my husband. Is aggressiveness a personality trait of some Jamaican people? The whole exchange was totally bizarre & I am still freaked out about it. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

We just returned from our Disney Fantasy cruise (10/28), and we had a strange experience there that I wanted share to see if I am overreacting. We decided to take the Disney excursion to the Jewel Beach resort for the day. The resort was amazing, and we had a great time.

I will preface this with that fact that we have two year old twin boys who receive a lot of attention wherever we go because they are identical and really cute. We were wrapping up our day b/c it was almost time for the bus to come get us. We were all dressed, and my husband went to take pictures of the beach, & I was taking care of my bubs as they played on chairs near the pool. Three Jamaican women (I don't think they worked for the resort) came up to us, and I guess, were admiring/staring at my twins. One of them picked up one of my twins and said "Can I have you? Do you want to come home with me?" It made me feel pretty uncomfortable - the way that she said it seemed like she was about to kidnap my baby. She did not say it in a nice way. I quickly gathered them up, and went to look for my husband. Is aggressiveness a personality trait of some Jamaican people? The whole exchange was totally bizarre & I am still freaked out about it. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Please do not freak out.

It is a very common thing in some cultures to say that to a small baby or child while playing with them. I am pretty sure they did not mean any harm and was an innocent admiration for your child. To tell you more, some even pull their cheeks and kiss them to show admiration. To us its very bizzarre, but to them it is not.

In Mexico, elders/adults will touch children's cheeks and:or kiss foreheads. I asked about it and the elder said they are drawn to specific children and by touching them they will prosper and have good fortune for their future. I had this happen to my daughter, the family kept passing her around saying "oh, look at this one" and then praying over her in Spanish. My husband was there, so I didn't feel uncomfortable.

When I traveled with my children many years ago I too was freaked out at the Jamaican people's aggressiveness. After many more visits I see this is a cultural trait that I am still not 100% comfortable with. However I am now much more tolerable-after all it is their country. I love Jamaica and its people.

It isn't just Jamaica, it is everywhere ELSE in the world but USA. When our baby was about a month old, we were in a restaurant in Germany (we were military stationed there). No kidding, people kept coming over and touching her, and the lady at table next to us started taking her binky out of her mouth and dipping it in the whipped cream on her dessert! I didn't even see it happen the first time, just heard people laughing. She thought it was fine and laughed. I had to stop her from dipping it in her wine, too. I almost fainted.

I can't tell you how many times someone just walked up and picked her up without even asking.

Different cultures..... just take it as a compliment!!!!

robin

I've mentioned this cultural difference many times over many years

most US folks find the way the 'average Jamaican' talks, and especially BARTERS, aggressive and intimidating

this is just "their way"

I did NOT say WRONG ......

there was a time when folks from the US went to other lands to LEARN about their culture

rather than compare it to "ours" and say it is wrong .....

Recommendation:::::

you should get out more