Lost Passports - Cruise in 5 days

HeatherInFlorida

We are supposed to cruise out of Miami on Saturday, 12/2. I just discovered I have lost our passports. I have exhausted every possible place and they are gone along with or marriage certificate and my original birth certificate (I have a copy). I know there is a Passport Office in Miami and we are I n West Palm Beach. Has anyone had to replace passports last minute like this and know the procedure????

Do we have any hope of going on our cruise. There are no words to describe how I feel right now because I'm pretty sure I threw he leatherette folder with all that in it away by mistake (thinking it was empty). :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

We were able to make an appointment at the U.S. Passport Office in Miami on Tuesday, but there was no way to explain what it was for. The website is confusing and I'm not positive which forms I need. I doubt I need to fill out an entire application? I'm filling the form out for lost Passport and we will get photos tomorrow. I'm just having a hard time learning what I need. I have copies of our applications from our most recent passports with the copies of the photos.

Heather what a nightmare. I would download any applications I think Imight need, better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. I think from the us travel.state.gov website you need form DS 64. Do you happen to have a copy of your most recent passport. If so take it with you. Good luck

Oh my God!!! I FOUND THEM!!! I opened my closet door to hang something up and my brain popped. I remembered when we went away in October I hid them deep in my closet for safekeeping!!!!! Opening my closet jogged my memory.

I'm scaring myself. The good news is I saved my marriage!!!

Thank you all who gave me tips and pointers. At least I am ready with a lot of documents, etc., if this ever happens again. And thank heaven I hadn't actually reported them lost!!!!!

Sooo glad you found them. I accidentally threw my original birth certificate away a couple years ago. I’ve since gotten it replaced, but it had sentimental value, because it had been in the original envelope in which it had been mailed to my parents after my birth. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am so happy you found them. I had to learn my lesson the hard way. My advice: Get a safe, even if it’s a small one (like a Sentry) and keep all your important docs in there. Getting an expedited replacement passport would have been easy though. Happy sailing :)

You must be so relieved. I've lost many things to that safe and secure black hole. Glad for you that the light bulb came on. Now that you've stopped beating your head against the wall leaving for the cruise will seem even better. Enjoy!

Thank you all so much. I knew if anyone would understand, it would be all my fellow cruisers. I kept thinking that at least I realized today and not Friday!!!! So we could have gotten them replaced in time, but I have to tell you all that my husband was trying to hide it, but he was pretty p*&@d at me!!!! We had a lot to do this week and he did NOT relish a trip to Miami Tuesday.

I do think that I will appreciate this cruise more than I ever would have ... just thinking for a moment it wouldn't be happening. Yikes. Sometimes things like this happen for a reason. I'm too old to hide things this way and maybe a small safe that someone suggested might be a good idea.

Thank you again for your suggestions and your sympathy!!!

Happy you found them Heather ~ I went thru something very similar a few years ago. My entire family had gotten their 1st passports in January after Mexico started requiring them. Night before our trip my husband pulls them out & discovers mine had expired 2 months before. Went to passport office in NYC with travel docs in hand & got an expedited passport. Was able to catch up with my family at the layover airport. It was one of the most stressful days of my life . . .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Happy you found them Heather ~ I went thru something very similar a few years ago. My entire family had gotten their 1st passports in January after Mexico started requiring them. Night before our trip my husband pulls them out & discovers mine had expired 2 months before. Went to passport office in NYC with travel docs in hand & got an expedited passport. Was able to catch up with my family at the layover airport. It was one of the most stressful days of my life . . .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Worse!!! Night before! Ouch! In 2013 when we were about to take our first Oceania cruise on January 4th, I noticed in our documents that our passports had to have an expiration date beyond 6 months (I think it was). Mine was to expire in April and this was New Year's Day!!!! I came on Oceania boards in a panic and everyone was so wonderful saying possibly I could get to Miami the next day and get it renewed in time.

I was saved that day by a member here (I did not know her) who actually called an executive she knew at Oceania. He told her that given the ports on this particular cruise, I would be okay. My relief was palpable. I had never met this woman and my gratitude could not be measured ... a perfect stranger calling an Oceania executive on New Year's Day!!!!! I researched through mutual CC members who might know who she was and she is my TA to this day:).

WOW Heather I just read the whole thread

when I saw your post my heart dropped YIKES

So glad you found them

I know what you mean about putting things in a safe place ...but darn where was that safe place ;)

See you Sat

Lyn

We are supposed to cruise out of Miami on Saturday, 12/2. I just discovered I have lost our passports. I have exhausted every possible place and they are gone along with or marriage certificate and my original birth certificate (I have a copy). I know there is a Passport Office in Miami and we are I n West Palm Beach. Has anyone had to replace passports last minute like this and know the procedure????

Do we have any hope of going on our cruise. There are no words to describe how I feel right now because I'm pretty sure I threw he leatherette folder with all that in it away by mistake (thinking it was empty). :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Well, after answering with my experience I saw that you found the passports so I deleted my info! But do know that you CAN get your passport in Miami on the day your cruise leaves.

Mura

That's great that you found them! I hate it when I put something away for safe keeping and then forget where I put it. I try to put things in the same place. Before going on a cruise, I check my passports about once a week for the two months leading up to my cruise. To make sure they are still there. To make sure they aren't expired. It's an OCD thing. LOL. I just sent mine off to be renewed, so I will be good for another 10 years.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Oh my God!!! I FOUND THEM!!! I opened my closet door to hang something up and my brain popped. I remembered when we went away in October I hid them deep in my closet for safekeeping!!!!! Opening my closet jogged my memory.

I'm scaring myself. The good news is I saved my marriage!!!

Thank you all who gave me tips and pointers. At least I am ready with a lot of documents, etc., if this ever happens again. And thank heaven I hadn't actually reported them lost!!!!!

I would recommend you keep a copy of them at home in case this happens again. Seriously. I even travel with a copy.

We were able to make an appointment at the U.S. Passport Office in Miami on Tuesday, but there was no way to explain what it was for. The website is confusing and I'm not positive which forms I need. I doubt I need to fill out an entire application? I'm filling the form out for lost Passport and we will get photos tomorrow. I'm just having a hard time learning what I need. I have copies of our applications from our most recent passports with the copies of the photos.

"Emergency" passport app at passport office is your best bet at this point. Also, connect with your congressman's office about moving things along. Amazing what they can do if it's something this "low level."

Of course, after you jump through all the hoops, you'll find those original passports in some "junk drawer" in your kitchen.

Perhaps an expensive lesson but, a lesson in paying attention nonetheless.

"Emergency" passport app at passport office is your best bet at this point. Also, connect with your congressman's office about moving things along. Amazing what they can do if it's something this "low level."

Of course, after you jump through all the hoops, you'll find those original passports in some "junk drawer" in your kitchen.

Perhaps an expensive lesson but, a lesson in paying attention nonetheless.

Oops- just saw above that you found them. I guess done attention to organizing yourself will be in order when you return.

Worse!!! Night before! Ouch! In 2013 when we were about to take our first Oceania cruise on January 4th, I noticed in our documents that our passports had to have an expiration date beyond 6 months (I think it was). Mine was to expire in April and this was New Year's Day!!!! I came on Oceania boards in a panic and everyone was so wonderful saying possibly I could get to Miami the next day and get it renewed in time.

I was saved that day by a member here (I did not know her) who actually called an executive she knew at Oceania. He told her that given the ports on this particular cruise, I would be okay. My relief was palpable. I had never met this woman and my gratitude could not be measured ... a perfect stranger calling an Oceania executive on New Year's Day!!!!! I researched through mutual CC members who might know who she was and she is my TA to this day:).

I'm betting I know who that TA was/is.

So pleased you found your passports.

We,too,take copies with us everywhere.

I learnt last year not to hide things for safety.My mother went into a home and we couldn't find so many important documents.As the days passed,one by one they turned up in obscure places,some dangerous.Worst was valuable jewellery sewn in the lining of her curtains(drapes).!!

I hope I never put my kids through it.😂