Bring martini shaker but no liquor on 12 night Silhouette Caribbean cruise?

PaperSniper4

We have a suite so drinks available in Michael's plus I have ordered a bottle of gin for our cabin. I suspect 90% of our drinking will be in the cabin. I do not plan on smuggling any liquor/vermouth on board, but but I am fastidious about my martinis.....so I am bringing my small martini shaker with me. I only drink my martinis straight up, shaken, not stirred as a proper gentleman would do.;)

My question: Would I have less "hassle" packing that stainless steel martini shaker in my carry on or checked bag? My thought is the former, as I can explain if required. Having to go somewhere to have my "suspect" luggage inspected for contraband is not something I want to do.

Question/comment: If the cabin set up with gin does not include vermouth, I am planning to ask our butler to bring me 6 oz or so. Same thing for olives and/or cocktail onions. Anyone have experience doing that? If that doesn't work for me, I will simply go to Michael's and ask for a similar amount from the bartender there. I am confident that would work.

What do ya'll think?

Doug

We have a suite so drinks available in Michael's plus I have ordered a bottle of gin for our cabin. I suspect 90% of our drinking will be in the cabin. I do not plan on smuggling any liquor/vermouth on board, but but I am fastidious about my martinis.....so I am bringing my small martini shaker with me. I only drink my martinis straight up, shaken, not stirred as a proper gentleman would do.;)

My question: Would I have less "hassle" packing that stainless steel martini shaker in my carry on or checked bag? My thought is the former, as I can explain if required. Having to go somewhere to have my "suspect" luggage inspected for contraband is not something I want to do.

Question/comment: If the cabin set up with gin does not include vermouth, I am planning to ask our butler to bring me 6 oz or so. Same thing for olives and/or cocktail onions. Anyone have experience doing that? If that doesn't work for me, I will simply go to Michael's and ask for a similar amount from the bartender there. I am confident that would work.

What do ya'll think?

Doug

I always bring my own olives and a lime. You can bring your own small bottle of vermouth under the 2 btls wine rule. Shaker et. al. no problem in carry on. I went to naughty room once due to a bottle of olives. Now always in my carry-on.

I always bring my own olives and a lime. You can bring your own small bottle of vermouth under the 2 btls wine rule. Shaker et. al. no problem in carry on. I went to naughty room once due to a bottle of olives. Now always in my carry-on.

I have thought about your idea with the bottle of vermouth, but I have no way to do that on this particular cruise. We won't be able to bring any wine either, darn it.

I believe I will pack the shaker in my carry on. I'd be concerned about it going through the checked bag routine as it's stainless steel, and would very like "print" as much more interesting than our insulated cups!

Yeah, I can see the bottle with a bottle of olives. I used to bring several (and limes, etc) in a zip lock, and that seemed to work okay in my checked bag, but I don't think it's worth the hassle anymore. I'll just visit the local bar for those. I have never been turned down yet!

Thanks for all the replies, ya'll.

Doug

Your butler will bring whatever you want. He/she might swear you to secrecy but you’ll get it.

My wife keeps telling me the same thing! :cool: But I am by nature a belt and suspenders kinda guy....like to have my options open. But even if the butler is very accommodating, I'd never expect that they'd be able to find a shaker I could use for our stay. I figure getting the olives/onions, vermouth etc. will be forthcoming, but it's not reasonable to for me to expect the ship has hundreds of martini shakers laying around!;)

I think you should read Harry Craddock's Savoy Cocktail Book.;) :)

Nah, I'm a meat and potatoes kinda guy....gin martini up, or single malt scotch neat. I think most of those exotic drinks leave me thinking I've just drunk a "smoothie".:cool: Now I will admit I enjoyed our time on the last cruise where we had free drinks throughout the ship.....my wife and I sampled all sorts of concoctions...some good, some pretty awful. We learned pretty much anything with a LOT of rum went down very nicely!:)

Edited by PaperSniper4

What do ya'll think?

Doug

I don't understand! And please, I am not being or trying to be rude, just interested in your answer. Why would you go on a cruise, a suit, yet to drink - you will spent 90% of that in your cabin, when there are an abundance of bars on board. I don't even bring a bottle. If it is to do with the cost of the drink, then why not take a cheaper cabin and buy your drink. As I said, no offence meant, just curious.

I am also fastidious about my martinis. I bring my own glass, olives, cocktail onions and a small bottle (50 ml) filled with my favorite vermouth in my carry on and have never had a problem. Celebrity has adequate vodka and gin available.

I also bring a quart canning jar and lid........best cocktail shaker in the world IMHO.

A cocktail on the balcony with my sweetheart is priceless.

Happy sailing.

Nah, I'm a meat and potatoes kinda guy....gin martini up, or single malt scotch neat. I think most of those exotic drinks leave me thinking I've just drunk a "smoothie".:cool: Now I will admit I enjoyed our time on the last cruise where we had free drinks throughout the ship.....my wife and I sampled all sorts of concoctions...some good, some pretty awful. We learned pretty much anything with a LOT of rum went down very nicely!:)

Harry Craddock was a highly respected bartender. Ian Flemming was an alcoholic who didn't always check his facts. If you can do the maths great, if not don't worry about it and enjoy your cruise. :)

I don't understand! And please, I am not being or trying to be rude, just interested in your answer. Why would you go on a cruise, a suit, yet to drink - you will spent 90% of that in your cabin, when there are an abundance of bars on board. I don't even bring a bottle. If it is to do with the cost of the drink, then why not take a cheaper cabin and buy your drink. As I said, no offence meant, just curious.

I understand, no offense. While we have a suite (on this our 50th anniversary cruise) we do not also have their unlimited drink package. We do have "free drinks" available in Michael's when they are open. That's nice, but we much, much prefer having our drinks together on our balcony and watching the water go by. We are not so much "bar persons", we value our privacy. We are not even close to moderate drinkers I suspect. A glass or two of wine for her, one martini or maybe 2 scotches per day for me. That's about 50% drinking than we do at home. :cool:

Make more sense now?:)

I am also fastidious about my martinis. I bring my own glass, olives, cocktail onions and a small bottle (50 ml) filled with my favorite vermouth in my carry on and have never had a problem. Celebrity has adequate vodka and gin available.

I also bring a quart canning jar and lid........best cocktail shaker in the world IMHO.

A cocktail on the balcony with my sweetheart is priceless.

Happy sailing.

I like the way you think! How do you pack your martini glass? I am assuming it's the regular tall one on a stem, not just a tumbler? I have a stainless steel "glass" I occasionally bring, and might on this cruise if I can afford the space/weight (we're flying into FLL). I do prefer my martinis in glass, but that stainless steel "glass" works very well....only problem is it's HUGE...maybe 8 oz?

I have to hope I can get the onions, olives, etc from the ship. I'm pretty much sure I cannot find room or enough excess weight in my luggage. I have to say on a trip to England a few years ago I figured it would be easy to get a small bottle of cocktail olives for our cruise; was I ever wrong! We walked the streets of London for 4 days and never saw any regular green olives with pimento! So I just got some once on board, but they were the small ones. I much prefer the larger "Queen" olives.

I used to have something like your Mason jar as a shaker, but I found a very nice, small stainless steel shaker with a built in strainer several years ago - it's lighter, smaller and so very handy! Kathy does not drink martinis, so that small size works well for me. (3.5 to 1, gin of course);)

Doug

I like the way you think! How do you pack your martini glass? I am assuming it's the regular tall one on a stem, not just a tumbler? I have a stainless steel "glass" I occasionally bring, and might on this cruise if I can afford the space/weight (we're flying into FLL). I do prefer my martinis in glass, but that stainless steel "glass" works very well....only problem is it's HUGE...maybe 8 oz?

I have to hope I can get the onions, olives, etc from the ship. I'm pretty much sure I cannot find room or enough excess weight in my luggage. I have to say on a trip to England a few years ago I figured it would be easy to get a small bottle of cocktail olives for our cruise; was I ever wrong! We walked the streets of London for 4 days and never saw any regular green olives with pimento! So I just got some once on board, but they were the small ones. I much prefer the larger "Queen" olives.

I used to have something like your Mason jar as a shaker, but I found a very nice, small stainless steel shaker with a built in strainer several years ago - it's lighter, smaller and so very handy! Kathy does not drink martinis, so that small size works well for me. (3.5 to 1, gin of course);)

Doug

Doug

I have a large TimBukTu bag (soft sided bag that doubles as a beach and pool bag whilst cruising) that I use as a carryon. I put my jewelry, prescription meds and my glassware wrapped in lightweight pj's and underthings in this. I like a smaller martini glass (with a stem of course) so they do not take too much room. I also bring my Riedel sauvignon blanc glass. These will fill the bag but it's light and fits under my seat on the airplane. My husband drinks red but his Riedel Bordeaux and Pinot Noir glasses are just too big so he has to rough it. Some people travel with their pillow, I travel with my glasses.

I never could get the hang of the metal shakers. They always leaked or dribbled or I couldn't get the top off. I tried countless versions of them. I like them better visually than the mason jar, but alas I am not that cool.:cool:

I understand, no offense. While we have a suite (on this our 50th anniversary cruise) we do not also have their unlimited drink package. We do have "free drinks" available in Michael's when they are open. That's nice, but we much, much prefer having our drinks together on our balcony and watching the water go by. We are not so much "bar persons", we value our privacy. We are not even close to moderate drinkers I suspect. A glass or two of wine for her, one martini or maybe 2 scotches per day for me. That's about 50% drinking than we do at home. :cool:

Make more sense now?:)

It does..:D

I was just interested & glad you took my question in the manner it was asked. :halo:

I hope you have a lovely cruise and enjoy spending time on your balcony watching the world go by... :D

Doug

I have a large TimBukTu bag (soft sided bag that doubles as a beach and pool bag whilst cruising) that I use as a carryon. I put my jewelry, prescription meds and my glassware wrapped in lightweight pj's and underthings in this. I like a smaller martini glass (with a stem of course) so they do not take too much room. I also bring my Riedel sauvignon blanc glass. These will fill the bag but it's light and fits under my seat on the airplane. My husband drinks red but his Riedel Bordeaux and Pinot Noir glasses are just too big so he has to rough it. Some people travel with their pillow, I travel with my glasses.

I never could get the hang of the metal shakers. They always leaked or dribbled or I couldn't get the top off. I tried countless versions of them. I like them better visually than the mason jar, but alas I am not that cool.:cool:

Thanks for that reply. I like your method of getting glasses on board. Poor husband...but then I have to make a sacrifice or two for my wife occasionally also. It's worth it in the long run.:cool: