Not Happy with Hidden Fees on NCL

Fromdehood

Then only way the 18% service charge will become part of a package price is if the governments step in to legislate how they are advertised like they did with taxes and fees up here in Canada.

As a frequent and loyal cruiser of NCL, I have grown unhappy with their increase in fees. I understand that they want to make a nice profit but sadly the quality of the experience onboard has declined.

1. What started out as an unlimited drink package has now turned into a limited package with a cap of $170 of drinks per guest per day plus the increase in gratuities. In addition, the drinks have been watered down and contain less alcohol. This was very noticeable on my last sailing on the Escape in September.

2. As the Bliss gets ready to sail next year, I'm hearing that it will also have additional fees to use the go-karts and other new features of the boat. I doubt very seriously this will be a modest fee.

Of course there is no stop to fees once they get started. I can see in the near future resort fees and fees for luggage. If this continues, I may have to start doing inclusive resorts. I just one to pay one price and be done with it.

In one thread we go from, Fromdehood about increase in fees to, marktwothousand about government regulation.

Simply amazing.

I just returned from a cruise on NCL, and when a problem couldn't be corrected, I removed part of the DSC onboard. No forms or explanation was needed.

I also learned that the crew did not have to turn in cash tips.

You're US based, right? So they have abandoned the form emailed in and check issued a few weeks later? They must have realized the $200 burdened cost to cut a mail a check was costing them more than simply letting the service desk handle it on board.

I would choose option 2... spread it out among everyone for the benefit of the workers... I’m from Canada.

You may get your wish, if many of your fellow Canadians remove the DSC. For the UK, NCL has "All Inclusive" fares that don't add the DSC or gratuity / service charge on the beverage packages when given as a promo. The prices look slightly higher than the combination of the three, but that's probably the company trying to test the value of the simplified pricing.

News flash, but not everyone buys bottled water on board. Most people don't. It could be $2/bottle, and I still wouldn't spend a nickel on it.

No news flash. Just important to know that there is a 20% fee added to the cost of bottled water. Not a service charge, since no real service in handing over a sealed bottle of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by herdingdogmom

No news flash. Just important to know that there is a 20% fee added to the cost of bottled water. Not a service charge, since no real service in handing over a sealed bottle of water.

About the same amount of service as opening a bottle of beer or pouring you a coke.

About the same amount of service as opening a bottle of beer or pouring you a coke.
Has anyone watched a video of what it takes to get that bottle on board. I have sailed ships with 2000 plus the crew and 4000 plus the crew. If everyone drank one bottle a day , 6000 bottles of water a day, how did they get onboard? Did they spout wings and fly, were they free when they hopped on board, it cost money from the bottom up . We did a ship tour with a captain and saw what it takes to service their guest everyday, You know you can carry on water for free if you choose to , we have . We have carried on sodas . We have carried on Wine. Whether it is 10 per cent or 20 per cent , they charge it and if you don't want to pay then simply don't go. Choose something else. I love to cruise but it is expense and only going up.

Actually handing you the bottle is merely the final stage. There is a major service and cost in loading that bottle of water on the ship. Then storing it and toting it around the entire cruise until you are ready to drink it. Chilling it so you do not complain that it is at room temperature. The bartender wasting his time getting it for you when he can be serving people who are not afraid of ice water.

Exactly. I heard a 12 oz bottle of beer weighs about the same as a 12 oz bottle of water, about the same amount of work goes into serving one.

Sorry but I just can't get behind charging 20% on a bottle of water. (I was not aware of it until I saw this thread) It's water! It's so basic. It's not the same as ordering a cocktail. It's WATER. Why then is the tap water free on NCL? Why not charge for it, since it's quite a process to provide safe potable water to thousands of passengers and crew at sea. The glass must be washed and dried. It takes the same amount of time to serve a bottle or a glass of water. Not sure why some of you are so very into paying gratuity on water. It's just stupid and lame, in fact I'll say it's pathetic. I think the same of charging grats on drinks served by machines, which many cruise lines do (wine, soda etc). I don't wanna hear the argument that someone has to refill it, service it, etc. It's a machine. Should a vending machine charge an extra fee for vending you a soda at the mall or in a food court? No. Cruises should not be different. I'll still cruise but I don't have to pretend I'm down with the stupid fees. It's an annoying aspect of an otherwise great experience.

Sorry but I just can't get behind charging 20% on a bottle of water. Not sure why some of you are so very into paying gratuity on water. .

Agree completely! The 20% is really a sales tax charged and pocketed by NCL.

The mark up they charge should more than cover the stocking of the product on the ship.

It is what it is but you don’t know about the 20% additional fee until you see the charge slip.

I pay it since I like to have bottled water on my shore excursions. I usually get the bottled water when I’m at the bar getting a glass of wine.

On my last cruise, the pool bartenders directed anyone who wanted a glass of tap water to the self service options.

It's on the website....LINK

"Note: 20% gratuities & service charge will be applied at time of purchase"

For the packages of large bottles yes. When I’ve ordered a small bottle, the bar tender always says it is not part of the ubp so I guess that means you should know the 20% will be added.

VERY easy solution, stop buying bottled water. Biggest marketing scam of all time.

No. Sometimes you need a bottle. Going ashore, bedside table at night. Ever try to drink from a glass while mostly laying down? Doesn’t work. Water bottle works. And no I’m not taking a refillable water bottle on vacation because I’m on vacation. The environment can wait. It’s about convenience and a standardized safe product, Nothing more.

No. Sometimes you need a bottle. Going ashore, bedside table at night. Ever try to drink from a glass while mostly laying down? Doesn’t work. Water bottle works. And no I’m not taking a refillable water bottle on vacation because I’m on vacation. The environment can wait. It’s about convenience and a standardized safe product, Nothing more.

But it is your choice to not take your own empty bottle or a britta bottle. You have eliminated your own options.

But it is your choice to not take your own empty bottle or a britta bottle. You have eliminated your own options.

Have you ever picked up a glass and it stinks

. Better yet the ice stinks. Makes me want to throw up, I am on vacation and I will skip a meal to have good clean water. You have to have good clean water to get over a number of sickness' , including food poisoning . So all you haters , get over it . If you don't want to pay it , the choice is yours , don't do it. For those who like myself will not doubt the water when I open it and enjoy the convenience of bottled water , then we will pay the 18 ,20 or 25 per cent tax, or whatever they call it. Can we move on to what an incredible gift it is to cruise . If not let me know, I joined this group for knowledge and chatting , if all it is gripping about the cost ,I need to know so I can remove myself.

I certainly wouldn't believe the £170 drink limit just because some NCL phone staff have told you about it. In fact, given their reputation for inaccuracy, it could almost be taken as evidence that no such limit exists. They weren't getting mixed up with the gratuity charge were they?

I've heard stories of watered down drinks before, or bar staff being slow to serve you with the UBP. My experience is so far the other way that it's ridiculous. Sometimes I'd much rather they just slowed down a bit. :)

As for the go karts, this is just the sort of high demand, low throughput thing that was always going to have a charge involved, to limit the demand. It isn't particularly an indication of any change in policy as they have always had charges for other such things like the Bowling, Ice Bar etc. Personally, I think it's not a great thing to have onboard, but I'm surprised that anyone was expecting it to be free.

I hate to say it but a fee to use the go karts is something I am actually ok with, because I hate waiting in long lines to do things and I'd rather pay if it means less people will be lining up to do it, and it is something I enjoy and would be willing to pay for. I wish the ship I am sailing on in 2 days had it.

What I'm baffled by is paying "service charges" not once but twice to the tune of over $200 per person (once on the drink package and then again on a "general" service charge.) That is a lot of money for "service charges." I also don't like the specialty coffee not being included in the drink package. I have said this before and people have responded but even after reading their counter-arguments I still don't think it makes sense, and the other lines don't charge for them if you have the drink package. The liquor as an ingredient costs them more but they will give you that but not the drink that costs them less to make... I still say it is completely illogical.

All in all though there are good and bad things about every line. This will be the first time we got to have a balcony thanks to NCL's bidding program, which I haven't seen on the other lines I have sailed, for example. So while I don't like some of these charges I am excited about trying NCL for the first time in a couple days.

No, you still only need one bottle and can depend on the tap water for refilling your bottle. We have been doing this for ages. We simply refill. I agree this bottled water trend is nothing more than a rip off unless you have a situation where the tap water isn't safe to drink.

Has anyone watched a video of what it takes to get that bottle on board. I have sailed ships with 2000 plus the crew and 4000 plus the crew. If everyone drank one bottle a day , 6000 bottles of water a day, how did they get onboard? Did they spout wings and fly, were they free when they hopped on board, it cost money from the bottom up . We did a ship tour with a captain and saw what it takes to service their guest everyday, You know you can carry on water for free if you choose to , we have . We have carried on sodas . We have carried on Wine. Whether it is 10 per cent or 20 per cent , they charge it and if you don't want to pay then simply don't go. Choose something else. I love to cruise but it is expense and only going up.

NCL doesn't let you carry water or soda onboard any longer. Actually, in your analysis it the passengers could carry it on it would save NCL a lot of hassle.

That needs to be washed daily at least. They get extremely gross and filthy. No thanks! Someone else can wash my crap while I’m on vacay. Otherwise what’s the point of vacay.