USD exchange to CUC in Havana?

LMaxwell

can I exchange US dollars to CUC in Havana at the cruise terminal or must I first arrive with Euro to Cuba to be able to convert. I understand I may have to convert usd to euro to CUC but can I take usd and do there or must I secure euros before the trip? Thanks

You can exchange USD. There is no need to have Euro. The discussions of having non USD to exchange have to do with the additional 10% charge for exchanging USD to CUC that is not charged for any other currency. You will be exchanging directly to CUC, not first to Euro. If you want to avoid the extra 10% fee, bring a different currency besides USD.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Almost as soon as you clear customs, you'll see the exchange windows. Very fast. We brought euros sicenour us bank had no exchange fees. We only had a 3% exchange rate. They exchanged our CUC back to US when we were about to leave for a 10% rate- very easy and quick process

• 3 months later...

are the exchange windows at the port open for extended hours? we are not starting our tour until 6pm, so i was not planning to leave the ship until around 530. now i am thinking i will need to get off the ship earlier to exchange my money first. thanks in advance.

are the exchange windows at the port open for extended hours? we are not starting our tour until 6pm, so i was not planning to leave the ship until around 530. now i am thinking i will need to get off the ship earlier to exchange my money first. thanks in advance.

They are open until 8PM (this was December 2017). Are you staying on the ship all day until your tour? The pier is in middle of old city, would not stay on ship!

yes, we are staying on the ship until we tour. BUT we do not arrive in havana until 2pm. i figured we would eat onboard in the buffet then head off the ship for about 4 hrs. the next morning we will have a 6hr day with another tour company. thanks for the info, btw!

yes, we are staying on the ship until we tour. BUT we do not arrive in havana until 2pm. i figured we would eat onboard in the buffet then head off the ship for about 4 hrs. the next morning we will have a 6hr day with another tour company. thanks for the info, btw!

That makes more sense w the late arrival; I thought we'd go back to ship for lunch after our morning tour but walking around old city you can have an excellent sit down lunch for $5 per person. I'd get off and walk a couple blocks when you arrive before your tour. Havana is one port def with not enough time! You'll love it. What night tour are you doing? I regret not doing one

we are doing one with fertours for 4 hrs. he is charging us the same as a 6-hr tour, though. lmao. his reasoning is that with a 6 hr day tour, they stop for lunch, so i am using the car for the same amt of time. lmao. have not committed to this yet. i am only booking because i am uncertain if they will actually let me off the ship if i do not have anything booked, but that is discussed ad nauseum on other threads. thanks for your input.

You can get off the ship; no one checks your plans. Nothing to do with cruise line or local gov't; it is US gov't that cares what you do. We kept a record of what we did. Designed our own tour. Ship wanted $400 for a tour. We could get same tour for $200. ended up using double decker bus for 3 hour tour for 10 CUC each. See if that runs in evening. I would not pay any vendor rate for 6 hour tour to get a 4 hour tour.

Not sure that this is something the typical tourist can readily find, but according to the Miami Herald (04-04-2018), “These days [unofficially]money changers [in Cuba] are offering in the range of .93 to .95 CUCs for adollar.” This in opposition to the .87 CUCthat a dollar normally realizes.

The apprehension of a rumored impending currency unification(CUC & CUP) is making the USD attractive. Cubans are reportedly shying away from the retiring CUCs and hoardingUSDs as a safe haven.

thanks for the info, sano monte. will keep you updated what i find is really going on in may. we are cautioned heavily to only use certified money changers in hotels, at the pier, etc. and L Maxwell, where do i find out about the double decker bus tour? i know this is off the topic. sorry.

thanks for the info, sano monte. will keep you updated what i find is really going on in may. we are cautioned heavily to only use certified money changers in hotels, at the pier, etc. and L Maxwell, where do i find out about the double decker bus tour? i know this is off the topic. sorry.

You're good, I don't think anyone minds.

http://vacationcubatravel.com/havana-bus-tour-hop-on-hop-off/

T1 line.

Stop 15 IS the cruise terminal. Tour busses run every 30 minutes and it is hop on hop off style; about 2.5 to 3 hours. 10 CUC per person. We sat up top on an open bus, I'd say 80% from the cruise with a few locals that use the bus to get between areas. You'll see a lot of historic old city, along the coast line, the resorts, revolution square, etc. Highly recommend. Not my video but this gives you an idea. get off any stop you want or ride in a full loop; if you get off just catch another bus with your ticket.

To give an example, when I exchanged 60 USD in terminal I got 53.XX back in CUC. We even ran into street vendors that wanted to exchange USD they had gotten for our CUC.

Here's a great video I found of the bus tour

If you do go with a private tour, I'd say spending the money for a convertible is a must; you won't get these panoramic views from a sedan or regular cab.

Edit: Incredible video with link to maps

That makes more sense w the late arrival; I thought we'd go back to ship for lunch after our morning tour but walking around old city you can have an excellent sit down lunch for $5 per person. I'd get off and walk a couple blocks when you arrive before your tour. Havana is one port def with not enough time! You'll love it. What night tour are you doing? I regret not doing one

Can you recommend some nice places for lunch?

How about posting a review of your cruise?

Can you recommend some nice places for lunch?

How about posting a review of your cruise?

Paladar Los Mercarderes is where we went to lunch on the second day and sat on the second story terrace over the cobblestone walkway. Great food. I forget the name of the cafe from the first day, but had a nice steak lunch with cocktails for each of us and our total was $12. Honestly, on the busy streets there are so many restaurants and bakeries, you can't miss!

I'm happy to answer any questions; I don't know what you place a high value on (food, value, unique experience, etc...) and I've been flamed on reviews before so instead I'm plenty happy to have questions and answers. What I like to do isn't what others may like, etc. It was a fantastic experience being in Havana and I would gladly go back; nothing like your typical caribbean stop.

I read on CC that we cannot take CUC out of the country. I also read that the money exchange closes at 8 PM. We plan to stay out late, and our ship is leaving very early the next morning. I guess our last server or taxi driver is going to get an awesome tip unless anyone has any other ideas in this situation?

I'm not sure this is what they mean by "support of the Cuban people", LOL!

We thought we had lost 100 CUCs, but the night before disembarkation we found them. So we inadvertently took CUCs out of the country. I keep hoping to find somebody going to Cuba so I can do a even up exchange with them.

I read on CC that we cannot take CUC out of the country.

No truth to that. May not be very usable, but no truth. I have 10 CUC in my wallet right now. No one is shaken down going in or out.

No truth to that. May not be very usable, but no truth. I have 10 CUC in my wallet right now. No one is shaken down going in or out.

If you do a search on the topic, you find stories like this one:

http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/im-an-expert-traveler-but-i-accidentally-broke-this-one-rule-and-almost-went-to-jail-dont-let

I did read where people brought a few small CUC back as souvenirs, but I certainly wouldn't risk trying for much beyond that.

I read on CC that we cannot take CUC out of the country. I also read that the money exchange closes at 8 PM. We plan to stay out late, and our ship is leaving very early the next morning. I guess our last server or taxi driver is going to get an awesome tip unless anyone has any other ideas in this situation?

I'm not sure this is what they mean by "support of the Cuban people", LOL!

They dont want them taken out because they will never be returned and the currency is old and in poor shape. It is possible to be searched going through customs

If you do a search on the topic, you find stories like this one:

http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/im-an-expert-traveler-but-i-accidentally-broke-this-one-rule-and-almost-went-to-jail-dont-let

I did read where people brought a few small CUC back as souvenirs, but I certainly wouldn't risk trying for much beyond that.

Oh my. What a story.