Internet Packages (Social vs. Premium)

bender031177

We are cruising on the Sunshine this February and I only want internet so we can video chat with our son back home a few times through the week. I know Skype is available for the premium plan but I was told we can access Facebook Messenger Video Chat on the Social Plan. Can anyone confirm this?

the only video will be with premium and even then it will be dicey at best

This is correct. Best just to text and pay less using one of their cheaper packages. FB Messenger texting work fair at best.

We are cruising on the Sunshine this February and I only want internet so we can video chat with our son back home a few times through the week. I know Skype is available for the premium plan but I was told we can access Facebook Messenger Video Chat on the Social Plan. Can anyone confirm this?

FB Messenger - yes. Video chat - no. Occasionally, people have reported being able to, but I wouldn't count on it. FWIW, I would simply find free wifi in a port and video chat from there, if that's all you want it for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another option is to enroll in International plan with your cell provider. For $10-15/day, with most carriers, you can have full access to features on your phone as if you were back home. And you won't get charged for a full week.... They only charge per day...so if you only use your phone on 2 of the 7 days.... Just 2 days of the daily fee. If you choose this option...just be sure to put your phone on airplane mode or shut if off after communicating back home.

Another option is to enroll in International plan with your cell provider. For $10-15/day, with most carriers, you can have full access to features on your phone as if you were back home. And you won't get charged for a full week.... They only charge per day...so if you only use your phone on 2 of the 7 days.... Just 2 days of the daily fee. If you choose this option...just be sure to put your phone on airplane mode or shut if off after communicating back home.

Just a note ... this is only for port use. On the ship there are no cell towers, so you will incur charges from CellularAtSea, which is quite expensive.

I had premium and it wasn't worth a nickel. Don't wast your money.

It is internet, albeit slow. The best speed I got on "whatsmyspeed" was 3 Mb which is old iPhone speed, at peak usage speed was about 1 Mb. I need it for work enabling me 2 week cruises, so it's worth more than a nickle to me.

I'm thinking of taking my Kindle Fire on our March Miracle cruise to be able to read e-books and not have to take so many paperbacks with us. Do you know which plan I should choose? Thanks.

Simply download the books you want before the cruise, then you will not need internet at all. I do it all the time.