Please help ASAP: Crown and Anchor status for child who is about to turn 18.

kath00

If a child's C&A level drops when they turn 18, then I'd call C&A and get it fixed. That should not happen.

Is this still correct, the child turning 18 maintains the same status as parents but has to earn their own points to move up a level?

I am having a disagreement on another site about this and just want to make sure I am telling them correctly. Thanks!

Is this still correct, the child turning 18 maintains the same status as parents but has to earn their own points to move up a level?

I am having a disagreement on another site about this and just want to make sure I am telling them correctly. Thanks!

Yes it is still correct.

As far as I know, this has not been changed.

Rci has a very generous policy on this. Met a couple who we then randomly saw on 2 other cruises so we got to know them a bit. They hit diamond and then brought their kids on one cruise (they go without them otherwise) just so they would be diamond when adults.

Smart on their part but this is one reason why there are so many diamonds. Their kids were the 3rd and 4th passengers on a kids sail free cruise and they are now diamond for life. What sense does that make.

It really is a stupid policy by Royal. No reason for kids not to revert back to their point total as adults. I say this having kids that now have my D+ status for life unless the policy changes.

Rci has a very generous policy on this. Met a couple who we then randomly saw on 2 other cruises so we got to know them a bit. They hit diamond and then brought their kids on one cruise (they go without them otherwise) just so they would be diamond when adults.

Smart on their part but this is one reason why there are so many diamonds. Their kids were the 3rd and 4th passengers on a kids sail free cruise and they are now diamond for life. What sense does that make.

It really is a stupid policy by Royal. No reason for kids not to revert back to their point total as adults. I say this having kids that now have my D+ status for life unless the policy changes.

One can also see it as a brilliant marketing move by Royal. Give the kids status, toss them a few baubles and voila once they are out on their own they return to sail with Royal instead of trying out another cruise line.

Most of those “inherited diamonds with only a few cruises probably won’t be cruising for a while anyway. The ones that are in their 20’s and still cruising on their own are more than likely diamond in their own right anyway.

One can also see it as a brilliant marketing move by Royal. Give the kids status, toss them a few baubles and voila once they are out on their own they return to sail with Royal instead of trying out another cruise line.

Most of those “inherited diamonds with only a few cruises probably won’t be cruising for a while anyway. The ones that are in their 20’s and still cruising on their own are more than likely diamond in their own right anyway.

By that logic just give everyone diamond status first time they cruise? That could be viewed as brilliant? But seems to me kids of past rci cruisers would have a good head start on high status and/or brand preference already. So the lure is their for them either way.

I just don’t see how the current policy will help with the continued issue of overcrowding for diamonds and up. This is why they will have to cut back on perks at some point. There will just be too many diamonds.

And can you imagine the 21 or 22 year old on their own for the first time as a diamond. Lol.

My brother could’ve knocked back a 12 pack in diamond hours with zero problem and you never would’ve known he had been drinking much.

I agree with you on this as the children should have parents status until they hit 18. Then the now adults revert to their own actual cruise count status. Royal does it this way to probably keep the young ones loyal. It it also contributes to overcrowding in the dl a cl.

What I find unique is my son is d+ with his own cruise count but has the same benefits as a child on their second cruise. No loyalty benefits like free internet, photo, laundry or 3 drinks on cruise card.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

By that logic just give everyone diamond status first time they cruise? That could be viewed as brilliant? But seems to me kids of past rci cruisers would have a good head start on high status and/or brand preference already. So the lure is their for them either way.

I just don’t see how the current policy will help with the continued issue of overcrowding for diamonds and up. This is why they will have to cut back on perks at some point. There will just be too many diamonds.

And can you imagine the 21 or 22 year old on their own for the first time as a diamond. Lol.

My brother could’ve knocked back a 12 pack in diamond hours with zero problem and you never would’ve known he had been drinking much.

Take a look in the lounge. It’s not the 20year olds with 15 points that are causing the overcrowding, in fact you’d be hard pressed to find many 20 year olds in there. The cause of the overcrowding is simply time. The longer the program in its current state continues the more diamonds there will be. Royal has one of the better loyalty programs in the industry and it shows by how many diamonds there are.

Policy is nothing new, my kids became Diamond almost 20 years ago. Disagree with you though, majority of people that are Diamond have earned it. Some people cruise frequently, is lot cheaper then was 30 years ago and lot cheaper then trip to Disney...

Some people cruise frequently, is lot cheaper then was 30 years ago and lot cheaper then trip to Disney...

Depends on where you live, how often you go to Disney, and whether you are eligible to stay at Shades of Green. As a Florida-resident annual pass holder, I can keep the cost of a trip to Disney at the about the same level as a cruise for the same number of days. The trick is to avoid too many meals at the very expensive restaurants in the theme parks. Of course, it helps a lot that I am eligible to stay at and dine at Shades of Green but you can also keep costs down by staying and dining in one of the non-Disney-owned hotels that are adjacent to Disney Springs.

Royal already knows the socioeconomic background of the parents and is betting the kids equal or surpass their folks. In 10, 15, 20 years time when those offspring compare cruise lines and what they get on one versus another it may be the deciding factor to go back to Royal vs starting over say w Carnival or NCL.

And don’t anybody kid yourselves; the C&A program in part helps command premium pricing compared to those lines, generally speaking. The costs of the perks are a pass through in the cruise fare.

It’s just a great marketing program.

I agree with you on this as the children should have parents status until they hit 18. Then the now adults revert to their own actual cruise count status. Royal does it this way to probably keep the young ones loyal. It it also contributes to overcrowding in the dl a cl.

What I find unique is my son is d+ with his own cruise count but has the same benefits as a child on their second cruise. No loyalty benefits like free internet, photo, laundry or 3 drinks on cruise card.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m with you on that one. My daughter is diamond on her own points and gets none of the good benefits either. Of course she is only 2 but this will probably annoy me when she wants internet at age 4 or 5. Lol.

Take a look in the lounge. It’s not the 20year olds with 15 points that are causing the overcrowding, in fact you’d be hard pressed to find many 20 year olds in there. The cause of the overcrowding is simply time. The longer the program in its current state continues the more diamonds there will be. Royal has one of the better loyalty programs in the industry and it shows by how many diamonds there are.

Not the problem now but they will be in the future. Just think, every kid of a current diamond that has cruised just once with mom and Dad is diamond for life no matter (as it stands now). And then so will their future spouse and their kids. Just kind of silly. If it were profitable to give it away like then just make everyone diamond after their first cruise. That would be much better for rcl if it was good marketing.

This is like the most first world problem thread ever...a bunch of people griping about the crowds in the diamond lounge sipping on free drinks while trying to figure out if their kids get to be a fancy as they are :'):'):')

Chuckling aside. I agree that this is probably about marketing. Likely to keep those kids as customers when they get on their own because their benefits will be too enticing for them to switch lines. That...and it makes sense to me that when these kids turn of age and cruise with their parents as adults, they will be able to stick together and enjoy similar amenities as a family(i.e. check in, lounge, happy hour, etc.).

• Like 1

I’m with you on that one. My daughter is diamond on her own points and gets none of the good benefits either. Of course she is only 2 but this will probably annoy me when she wants internet at age 4 or 5. Lol.

It gets extremly annoying when they are teens. I am so happy my two Diamond in their own right "kids" are both over 18 now and get actually useful benefits

This is like the most first world problem thread ever...a bunch of people griping about the crowds in the diamond lounge sipping on free drinks while trying to figure out if their kids get to be a fancy as they are :'):'):')

Chuckling aside. I agree that this is probably about marketing. Likely to keep those kids as customers when they get on their own because their benefits will be too enticing for them to switch lines. That...and it makes sense to me that when these kids turn of age and cruise with their parents as adults, they will be able to stick together and enjoy similar amenities as a family(i.e. check in, lounge, happy hour, etc.).

Yeah I get the marketing part but if that is a profitable strategy why not just do it for anyone. Not just kids of C&A members. So you bring friends. They get your status for life. If the kid strategy is good marketing this would be even better and more quickly result in more profitability for the company assuming the kid get your status policy is indeed a positive ROI strategy.

Think about. Rci will soon have to make changes. They can’t make everyone higher tier at the current pace or the entire ship will soon be one big money losing diamond lounge. It is simply way too easy to hit diamond that the numbers will be overwhelming soon. When we hit diamond my wife and I thought Wow, we get all this for how little we’ve cruised with royal. No other business ever gave us so many perks for so little business.

Changes are coming and while the child policy may not be a major reason for crowding it certainly doesn’t reduce the problem when a kid with one cruise in his life is diamond or diamond plus for life once an adult. And yes there are many like that.

Yeah I get the marketing part but if that is a profitable strategy why not just do it for anyone. Not just kids of C&A members. So you bring friends. They get your status for life. If the kid strategy is good marketing this would be even better and more quickly result in more profitability for the company assuming the kid get your status policy is indeed a positive ROI strategy.

Think about. Rci will soon have to make changes. They can’t make everyone higher tier at the current pace or the entire ship will soon be one big money losing diamond lounge. It is simply way too easy to hit diamond that the numbers will be overwhelming soon. When we hit diamond my wife and I thought Wow, we get all this for how little we’ve cruised with royal. No other business ever gave us so many perks for so little business.

Changes are coming and while the child policy may not be a major reason for crowding it certainly doesn’t reduce the problem when a kid with one cruise in his life is diamond or diamond plus for life once an adult. And yes there are many like that.

Simply saying just give it to everybody then is very much an extreme attitude and is in no way the same thing as passing on status to children. My wife has never cruised and has now inherited my extremely elite platinum status. If something ever happens to us does she get to keep her now prestigious status...or does she have to revert to being a lowly peasant among the commoners...a muggle in the cruising society? And if she does lose it...is that fair? I don't know the answer to that.

There are a lot of factors that play into this. As somebody mentioned...with or without kids obtaining status...diamond membership is going to increase simply because cruising is more popular, affordable, and accessible than ever before...along with our population increasing exponentially. I believe the number of passengers per year (industry wide) has increased by something like 10 million people per year since 10 years ago. More ships are being built. More cruises are being offered. That in and off itself is going to increase the diamond population rapidly. And RCCI is a billion dollar corporation...so I am pretty sure they have all sorts of data regarding this matter and at this time it is still a benefit to them to offer these types of loyalty benefits. When the time comes that is no longer serving their bottom line or the negative feed back from the diamond crowd outweighs their bottom line...they will make a change to the program.

I'll never know...I'll never get to that status...which is fine by me because other than a discount...much of the benefits are not of interest to me. I'm all good sipping tea in the platinum lounge while all the lowly gold members walk by and stare in jealousy :D

Slightly off topic question:

I’m Diamond and finally have convinced my boyfriend of 1.5 years to book a cruise (and his kids are coming with us..). We live together but 50% of time at my house and 50% at his, due to our teenaged kids in different school districts. Since we are not “married” is there any chance he could obtain Diamond status and accompany me in the lounge, etc?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Slightly off topic question:

I’m Diamond and finally have convinced my boyfriend of 1.5 years to book a cruise (and his kids are coming with us..). We live together but 50% of time at my house and 50% at his, due to our teenaged kids in different school districts. Since we are not “married” is there any chance he could obtain Diamond status and accompany me in the lounge, etc?

Thanks.

All you need to be linked is to have the same residence address and declare your boyfriend your significant other.