Train travel (transfer in London) on May 19 - Royal Wedding - expect delays?

bobalink

I have a question for experienced UK train travelers about train travel on Saturday, May 19.

We'll be traveling from North Wales, Llandudno Junction to Dover Priory on the day of Prince Harry's wedding. We will board our ship in Dover in the afternoon to begin our cruise. So, we can't be late.

Of course, we did not know the date of the royal wedding when we planned our pre-cruise visit to North Wales.

I am wondering if the train schedules could be significantly impacted or delayed because of the royal wedding.

From Llandudno we would change trains in London, then on to Dover.

Any suggestions for a different route?

Thanks!

Well, the good news is that the wedding will be at Windsor, so doubt your Central London transfer from Euston to St. Pancras will be affected. However, wedding or no wedding, I'm not sure I'd take that journey on the day I was embarking my cruise - I'd feel much better travelling to London the night before and going down to Dover the next morning.

I have a question for experienced UK train travelers about train travel on Saturday, May 19.

We'll be traveling from North Wales, Llandudno Junction to Dover Priory on the day of Prince Harry's wedding. We will board our ship in Dover in the afternoon to begin our cruise. So, we can't be late.

Of course, we did not know the date of the royal wedding when we planned our pre-cruise visit to North Wales.

I am wondering if the train schedules could be significantly impacted or delayed because of the royal wedding.

From Llandudno we would change trains in London, then on to Dover.

Any suggestions for a different route?

Thanks!

Your two London stations are just a short walk apart and trains won't be affected that day. The marriage of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will be relatively low key compared to some royal weddings anyway. However I agree with twickenham and I wouldn't generally travel on the same day as my cruise in case of delays

You will probably have to change at Crewe or Milton Keynes as well. An 0825 departure tomorrow (Saturday) would get you to Dover Priory by 1341 if there are no hold-ups. The problem is that the track owners do maintenance at weekends when there are fewer travellers so there is a possibility of delays.

There are earlier trains but they might mean more changes.

You will probably have to change at Crewe or Milton Keynes as well. An 0825 departure tomorrow (Saturday) would get you to Dover Priory by 1341 if there are no hold-ups. The problem is that the track owners do maintenance at weekends when there are fewer travellers so there is a possibility of delays.

There are earlier trains but they might mean more changes.

Don't get this, Bob. The 0840 is a direct to Euston that gets the same connection to Dover.

Didn't we have a whole thread on these train times some time ago?

ETA: Yes, we did: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2550903

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You might be more affected by the FA Cup final which is on the same day at Wembley. Depending on which teams are in the final, there could be a lot (ie several thousand) people travelling down to London on the Saturday, especially if one or two of the Manchester or Liverpool teams are in the final. I would definately aim to travel on the Friday just in case.

Simon

I would agree with Simon and Bob++ - and by arriving on the Friday you could enjoy the local sights (Castle, White Cliffs etc.) before you set sail too!

There are several group hotels serving the area ( ie. Premier Inn, Ramada, Best Western) and I suspect that they will fill very quickly when other cruisers realise the clash of dates.

You never know - the hotel might even let you stay and watch the wedding!