Packing tips

hoppelk

Our cruise on the Coral Princess is only 28 days away. Last year on our cruise we had FIVE bags which was two or three more than anybody else and there was just two of us. Today my wife had surgery on her shoulder and I will be handling all of the bags. (Will just tip the porters well) Any practical suggestions to pack more efficently will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Take out half of everything you took last time. We just returned from a 10 day and we only took 1 medium case each. Next time, I will pack even less. Make sure your wife has mix and match sets. I just took 3 skirts and 5 matching blouses that when with everything to wear at night. 2 pairs of shoes for night and casual shoes for day. Who cares if you wear the same think more than once. !! ;) Gayle

I purchased a garment bag and put anything I can hang up in there since it's easy to put on my shoulder. The rest I put in the rolling suitcase. Pack less than you think you need and you'll be fine. Roll clothes.

Mix and match, fewer shoes ... does the trick.

Can your wife pull a rolling suitcase with her good arm? Even if it's a small stewardess bag, that would help with some things.

Most airlines only allow 50lbs before over charge these days. :mad: (that includes your main checked luggage not the carry-on which has a size limit)

The average rolly bag weighs between 6 and 11lbs. Bring what the scale will allow you to. That's what we're going to do, for two reasons:

1) we don't what to pay over weight baggage charges

2) It will actually make us bring less then we usually do, which is too much

Less is more.... but on a cruise not too much less.... just less....:cool: :confused:

Since we are doing the anytime dining on our next cruise, I plan to take only one dress and a pair of capris pants for dinner. Since we won't be with the same people every night no one will know. I am taking only one formal outfit, again, won't be with the same people. This will greatly cut down on my packing!

We've learned over the years that you really don't wear all the clothes you pack and I finally got my shoes down to two or three pair - that was an accomplishment!:D

DH and I pack less and less each time we cruise. Last year we took a large (checked) bag each and one carry-on between us with things that we would need immediately upon boarding.

On our upcoming cruise, we are taking one large bag between us, one rolling carry-on, and a duffle bag that fits under the airline seat. We could probably get by with only one carry-on, but we want to leave room for purchases we make on the ship or in port. It's easier to put new items in luggage than it is to carry multiple shopping bags.

Be sure to keep valuables, meds, cosmetics, travel documents with you, and include swimsuits, a change of clothes, and something to wear to dinner in a carry-on; larger bags may not be delivered prior to sailing.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

One thing I do is to to pull out everything I think I want to take and put it on over-the-door hooks in my bedroom. I then take a good look and remove anything that is similar (I don't need two beige linen dresses nor do I need two yellow shirts). I then look at what's left from the standpoint of what shoes will go with what. I've found that I can eliminate a lot of things I'd *like* to take but really don't need. I bring one pair of beige sandals and one pair of black sandals, and wear sneakers on the plane.

If you pull everything out and take a look at it rather than take things from your closet and pack, you'll find you can pack much more efficiently.

I only take what I can fit into one carry on bag, whatever doesn't fit in the bag stays home. That way I have one carry on and a small tote to carry the camera, paperwork, sunglasses, etc. My DH takes even a smaller bag than I take, we always have plenty. I do laundry at some point during the cruise another reason to love Princess.

Thanks for all the responses. My wife had one medium bag with nothing but shoes and other related items. I also took a number of shirts that I did not wear. Laundry facilities will help also, but my wife said that she would rather pack less than do laundry. Only 27 days left to our first cruise on Princess.

Thanks for all the responses. My wife had one medium bag with nothing but shoes and other related items. I also took a number of shirts that I did not wear. Laundry facilities will help also, but my wife said that she would rather pack less than do laundry. Only 27 days left to our first cruise on Princess.

Ahhh your 1st cruise will not be your last with Princess!

Are you on the Jan. 13 Coral departure? I agree, about all the suggestions. You only need a few pairs of shoes and so what if you wear the same thing twice. And horrors, you can do one load of laundry. Sure saves on heaving those bags around.

Ever notice when they come down the belt that the handles are never within reach.

The best "packing light" tip I ever heard was:

Don't think you are going on a 28 day trip

Think of it as going on four 7 day trips (or three 10 day trips) etc.

When I traveled a lot for work (admittedly it was work and not fun) I would pack pretty much the same for one week on the road or three weeks. Yes I had to do laundry each week (work time again, not vacation) but it kept my luggage down to a carry-on.

My packing tip: look at the itinerary, decide if you are going on any shore excursions, and then make a list of all the clothes that you will need. My list is on a spreadsheet with the following headings: Tops, Bottoms, Dresses, Jewellery, Shoes. I match everything up before I pack so I only take the clothes and accessories that I will need. Also, if you are on a ship where you can do your own laundry, you may want to take enough clothes for a 7 day cruise if going on a 10 day cruise because you can do you laundry on the ship.

Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to pack a small amount. We once sailed from Boston in late October, went to Burmuda, then ended in San Juan. Started out in sweat shirt and jacket and ended in T-shirt and shorts. Sorta like early and late cruising in Alaska, some days can be downright balmy and others are really cool.

Jim

Archived