Last Minute Corkage Fees

sailin'mama

Has this ever happened to anyone one else? We've only taken 1 other Celebrity cruise, and are anxiously awaiting the 2nd. While we enjoyed it very much, when we got to the dock, with two bottles of wine, we were sent to a table to have our corkage fees accessed. I've seen many postings here where you'all have indicated you have brought wine, in the proper amount, straight on board without additional fees.

I also just went to to the website, and there is was a note "1 bottle per eligible quest per stateroom**Subject to corkage fees.

Am I missunderstanding the posts, or could it really be by sailing, as the small print indicates:confused:? Not a big deal, just want to be prepared. Especially since it will take a bit more to bring wine sailing out of Miami. (Flights etc)

This rule applies to the port of Embarkation only. If that is where you tried to bring the wine on board I am at a loss as to why they wanted to assess the corkage fee. If you were trying to bring it on board at one of the port stops I can understand that as I have been given the choice of paying a corkage fee or having the wine held until the end of the cruise.

Did this occur at the port of Embarkation?

Has this ever happened to anyone one else? We've only taken 1 other Celebrity cruise' date=' and are anxiously awaiting the 2nd. While we enjoyed it very much, when we got to the dock, with two bottles of wine, we were sent to a table to have our corkage fees accessed. I've seen many postings here where you'all have indicated you have brought wine, in the proper amount, straight on board without additional fees.[/quote']

Have cruised with Celebrity often and have never seen corkage assessed at boarding... I believe that some of the Carnival lines (or perhaps just one; I seem to recall reading that Princess and/or HAL has such a practice; I can’t recall for certain) does some sort of corkage review and, if applicable, fee assessment before boarding...

Carnival brands also tend to express their carry-on wine allowance (if there is one) on a per adult guest basis... Celebrity expresses their allowance on a per cabin (maximum two bottles for an adult guest traveling solo) basis with corkage assessed if opened outside one’s stateroom...

Unless things have changed in the less than two weeks since I last sailed Celebrity, something seems awry...

The actual wording of the Celebrity regulations is:

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when guests are permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per stateroom.

It doesn't say " "1 bottle per eligible quest per stateroom**Subject to corkage fees." that I can find. So I'm wondering where you saw the statement about 1 bottle per guest instead of 2 bottles per stateroom.

I'm guessing that the OP has Mis-remembered which cruise had the "instant corkage fee" table. Celebrity does charge corkage but only if you bring the bottle to a restaurant or bar. If you enjoy the wine in your stateroom there is no corkage.

I think some cruiselines charge corkage for bringing bottles aboard regardless of where you intend to drink the wine. Perhaps that is what happened and it was some other cruise line, not Celebrity.

It sounds like the OP has mixed up Celebrity and Princess.

Celebrity's rule is 1 bottle per adult - PERIOD.

If you bring that wine to the dining room you are assessed a $25 corkage fee.

If you drink it in your cabin no fee.

Princess policy is 1 bottle per adult (upon boarding) same as Celebrity.

BUT -after that you can bring as many as you want (at original boarding or at any port) and you will be assessed a $15/bottle corkage fee immediately, your bottle will be stamped and then you can drink it in your cabin or bring it to the dining room and no further fees will be added.

Not quite...AFAIK celebrity allows two bottles per stateroom. A single occupancy gets two bottles allowance. A triple occupancy also is allowed two bottles.

You are certainly correct, cruisestitch...

As we’ve both noted, guests traveling solo on Celebrity get the same two bottle maximum allowance (it’s per stateroom and not per adult guest) as do those occupying a cabin with two or more guests...

PERIOD...

Happy Holidays!