Oasis Dress Attire for Dinner - NEED HELP

Tammytam

This is our first cruise on RC and after looking at the formal nights, I'm a lil scared. We are used to casual dining. Can someone please tell me the real deal on formal night dining............actually specialty restaurant dining as well. Will my husband HAVE to wear a jacket and tie? And will I HAVE to wear a dress?

Please share what we can get away with................we dress up all week at work and really prefer to not dress fancy but don't want to miss eating in the MDR or specialty restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

We were on Oasis the week of Thanksgiving and you will see everything from "prom dress"formal to jeans and t-shirts. Suggestions are made, but as long as you have shoes and not in a swimming suit and cover up you will be fine. This is your vacation, do not let what you wear or what "people" may say cause you any stress. The ship is a "stress-free " zone. Happy cruising.

Just off the Oasis, saw a full spectrum of dress on formal nights. The family sitting next to us in the main dining room had Dad in shorts and a polo, Mom in capris and top and teen girls in dresses. No one said anything to them about attire.

Just off the Oasis, saw a full spectrum of dress on formal nights. The family sitting next to us in the main dining room had Dad in shorts and a polo, Mom in capris and top and teen girls in dresses. No one said anything to them about attire.

I'm not sure what dining room you were in, but in mine, just about every guy at least had on a long sleeve shirt with the majority in jackets on formal night.

To the OP - wear whatever makes you feel comfortable, but if wearing shorts and t-shirt while most around you are wearing suits and dresses makes you feel UN-comfortable, you might want to step-up your dress.

This is a bit off topic as it wasn't the main dining room and wasn't formal night, but last year on our cruise aboard Allure of the Seas, I witnessed a woman turned away one morning from the buffet because she was wearing a bathing suit and cover up. So, to some degree, some dress codes are still enforced. Just an observation.

In the old days, I have seen Maitre D's offer jackets or ties to gentlemen who weren't wearing them. Now...it seems like anything goes.

That's when jackets and ties were required. Now people realize you can enjoy a meal without a piece of cloth knotted at your neck

I've been on Allure twice and am booked on Oasis for October. For formal dinner I wear a long evening style gown and love it. I enjoy dressing up since I never have the opportunity at home. For the non-formal evenings I always wear a nice sundress. I'd never wear capris... but that's just me... I don't even pack a pair to wear ever during a vacation cruise.

Suggested attire is just that...a suggestion and nothing is enforced. Nice casual dress will be fine in MDR and specialty restaurants any night including formal. Jackets and ties are not required for men and dresses are not required for women. Not a big deal at all...relax and enjoy your vacation.

Per above ... Exactly! (y)

Enjoy your cruise! :D

This is our first cruise on RC and after looking at the formal nights, I'm a lil scared. We are used to casual dining. Can someone please tell me the real deal on formal night dining............actually specialty restaurant dining as well. Will my husband HAVE to wear a jacket and tie? And will I HAVE to wear a dress?

Please share what we can get away with................we dress up all week at work and really prefer to not dress fancy but don't want to miss eating in the MDR or specialty restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

As many have said. The answer to both your questions is NO. I am not trying to be judgmental and this is not directed at your situation. If you husband chooses to wear a shirt and khakis, he will more than fit in. The last 2 cruises (the Adventure out of San Juan in July and the Oasis this past week before Christmas, I mention those 2 because I can actually remember what folks were wearing) that we were on (we have 3 sons 14 - 20) had 2 formal nights and 5 smart casual nights. A couple of my sons wore sport coats and/or vests. They all three like to wear bow ties. I chose for the 1st time to not bring a sport coat but did wear a tie on all 4 of the formal nights. I always take off the coat and hang in on may chair while eating anyways.

Our family does not see it as "what we can get away with". My wife and I have tried to instill into our sons that dressing in appropriate clothing for ALL situations is just the way to conduct your life. What others choose to do is their business as long as they do not attempt to make us feel like we are doing something wrong by representing our family in a reasonable way......if that were to happen then there would be a problem.

None of the males in our group wore shorts to the dining room. We saw lots of that. Not my business. And lastly, not my business but we also saw several men wearing ball caps and 3 or 4 of those had them turned around backwards. To me that shows a lack of respect towards the rest of their family.

I don't know how a ball cap shows disrespect to anyone. It's a piece of cloth covering part of the body, like nay other kind of clothes. Someone else has determined it's an affront to society.

Personally I don't wear one in a restaurant. But it's not my business to judge someone who does.

I don't know how a ball cap shows disrespect to anyone. It's a piece of cloth covering part of the body, like nay other kind of clothes. Someone else has determined it's an affront to society.

Personally I don't wear one in a restaurant. But it's not my business to judge someone who does.

Formal night dining and ball caps turned around backward are contradictions in every way.

Just don't be a slob and wear a Budweiser tee shirt like they do on Carnival.

Smart casual is suggested at Specialty restaurants every night. However, since dress suggestions are not enforced, people wear whatever they want, so you will see the full range of attire. You won't miss anything no matter how you dress.