Can a TA alter booking confirmation?

iamaqt2

Hi all. I've never encountered this before, so am unsure how to proceed. Recently booked an X cruise with a large online TA located in the Northeast. First time using them, but the perks offered we're great.

Have had nothing but a run around with them since, and if it weren't for the cancellation penalty, would have washed my hands of them weeks ago.

Anyhow, I've had to press them repeatedly to email me a copy of my Celebrity Booking Confirmation - Guest Copy because due to some questions I had about OBC that they refused to answer, I wanted to see what was booked myself.

I finally received a copy today, however, it has been heavily altered with sections deleted, and amounts handwritten in.

I've never encountered a TA altering a booking confirmation before. Has anyone ever seen this happen?

I did email them back and told them I found their altered copy unacceptable, and that I wanted an original unaltered copy, so hopefully I get one.

Does anyone know if a TA is even allowed to alter a booking confirmation?

Sent from my TG-L800S using Forums mobile app

Hi all. I've never encountered this before, so am unsure how to proceed. Recently booked an X cruise with a large online TA located in the Northeast. First time using them, but the perks offered we're great.

Have had nothing but a run around with them since, and if it weren't for the cancellation penalty, would have washed my hands of them weeks ago.

Anyhow, I've had to press them repeatedly to email me a copy of my Celebrity Booking Confirmation - Guest Copy because due to some questions I had about OBC that they refused to answer, I wanted to see what was booked myself.

I finally received a copy today, however, it has been heavily altered with sections deleted, and amounts handwritten in.

I've never encountered a TA altering a booking confirmation before. Has anyone ever seen this happen?

I did email them back and told them I found their altered copy unacceptable, and that I wanted an original unaltered copy, so hopefully I get one.

I'm a TA.. You should never receive a handwritten invoice... Yes they can alter it and make it your own. I just use X's guest copy and use that. Having said that - if you were promised any additional OBC or perks then that must be stated, but not necessarily on the invoice. That usually comes toward the end. If I offer something it's noted in an email.

I used an on online TA for years. I don’t receive the invoice of Celebrity’s booking. They send me their invoice, due to the rate high is always less then I could get from Celebrity and the OBC is from them., the OBC that is included with the booking shows up on my celebrity booking online, the additional they give me does not, which is refundable. Have been very pleased with the agent I use, and can always reach her by phone or email.

I also use a large, online TA located in the Northeast. We've booked many cruises with them over many years and everything has always been delivered as promised. They do send me the guest copy of the invoice, and it has always had some information hand written in addition to or amending the typed information when they have added additional perks or OBC. In any case where I've had questions, I've called or emailed customer service and gotten clarification in a responding email whenever I've requested it. I don't know if we're using the same TA since we're not allowed to name them, but mine often sponsers Cruise Critic's newsletters and does charge a cancellation fee. I was very nervous the first time I used them (many years ago) because the deal I booked seemed "to good to be true" but it, along with every one since has been as promised and never a hassle. It is always wise, however, to dot your I's and cross your T's.

Thank you for your responses. I did receive an explanation email as to why the invoice was altered. I find it highly aggravating though, that my original questions to them about OBC could have been answered by this simple explanation, instead of me having to hound them for the booking confirmation to try and see it for myself. Good to know others have used this TA without issues.

9f071c29e320cd4cd8119a60a9e68c33.jpg

I see this has been answered to your satisfaction. I have used this agency and it is common that they white out some items and hand write the totals. In my case it was generally they provide gratuities so the price they paid to Celebrity was on the invoice. I suspect they get it at a discounted price and it's really none of my business so I never had an issue with this.

When dealing with this agency it's really their agreement which they have you sign and return to confirm the booking which details the terms. I always make sure they detail the amenities and whats being provided from Celebrity and what's from them. I've never had trouble with them. I have stopped using them due to their fees for cancellation/changes.

I have two pending X guest copies that a TA has altered. You can tell what was included by looking at the booking charges. In the confirmation email there is also a section that outlines Celebrity and TA provided perks. Mine even bullets the inclusions with Go Best.

I cant recall ever seeing a post where someone has not received the perks or OBC they believe they should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your responses. I did receive an explanation email as to why the invoice was altered. I find it highly aggravating though, that my original questions to them about OBC could have been answered by this simple explanation, instead of me having to hound them for the booking confirmation to try and see it for myself. Good to know others have used this TA without issues.

9f071c29e320cd4cd8119a60a9e68c33.jpg

I’m sure we use the same one and your amenities and cost are spelled out in your original doc from them, the one you sign on your computer and send back. Yes, they have written on my confirmation. They deliver what they promise and we have seven cruises booked with them right now. They’ve had 18 of our past bookings with them.

The main issue I have is that my promised amenities were Bev pkg, prepaid grats, and 100 OBC. The booking confirmation shows the Bev pkg, but the other amenity line was erased. Celebrity website is showing I have 300 OBC available. I feel like they are trying to pull a fast one by booking the 150 pp OBC instead of prepaid grats, and then are going to tell me that is the extra 100 OBC they are promising. I know TA OBC doesn't show on the website. And while in theory I will eventually get what they offered, I feel they've been sketchy in the manner it was done.

I also use this TA. My invoices DO take some time, because many times they will use a group rate, and until they fulfill the number they've guaranteed Celebrity, Celebrity does not release the invoice. Also, things they promise come from them and not the cruise line and those are what is written in by hand. They have always delivered, and I've used them for the last eight cruises;

leaving on one through them in 2 weeks. They've always been helpful when I needed to switch a reservation or change cabins as well.

The main issue I have is that my promised amenities were Bev pkg, prepaid grats, and 100 OBC. The booking confirmation shows the Bev pkg, but the other amenity line was erased. Celebrity website is showing I have 300 OBC available. I feel like they are trying to pull a fast one by booking the 150 pp OBC instead of prepaid grats, and then are going to tell me that is the extra 100 OBC they are promising. I know TA OBC doesn't show on the website. And while in theory I will eventually get what they offered, I feel they've been sketchy in the manner it was done.

If you are not comfortable with the TA then rather than worry about it from now until your cruise just cancel and rebook with X or another TA.

We have used this TA for 8-9completed cruises and have another 5 booked. They have always delivered everything in our initial authorization. The copies of the Celebrity booking confirmation have frequently had had written information on them. They do get very busy from time to time and don’t respond to a call or email as quickly as I would like but if I have left a message that clearly explains what I would like, more often than not when they return the message they have taken the action and are sending a new confirmation

Unfortunately, they charge a 100$ per person cancellation penalty. That's too much to cancel at this point.

If you are moving to another cruise, they don’t usually charge that. If they do, and you have Travel Insured insurance with them, it can be reimbursed.

Unfortunately, they charge a 100$ per person cancellation penalty. That's too much to cancel at this point.

I know about the cancellation penalty but IMHO it would be a small price for peace of mind.

We booked a cruise awhile back with a different TA who had no cancellation penalty. When it came closer to sailing & I requested a change and a booking confirmation things started feeling “not quiet right” turns out things weren’t right and I lost a lot of sleep for 7 weeks until I was able to finally have the booking taken from that TA. In the end the nights of lost sleep were worth more to me than a $200. cancellation charge.

Stopped using this agency when one of the perks didn't show up when the cruise started. Of course, ship rep was "that's between you and your agent.". Several emails back and forth finally produced the credit about 7 days into a ten day cruise.

That and agency cancellation fee caused me to find better deals elsewhere.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app

In case of a claim, how will you sue with an altered ticket?

Monitor the rates @ Celebrity web site and maybe you can cancel and give them the $100 for a better rate and service.

With transparency is how TA should conduct themselves. And original Celebrity, Plane, Hotel, etc. tickets must be provided. and in another document belonging to the agency, the credits and charges that are handled with them.

Our travel agent never touches our money, all charges to the card are made directly by the Cruise, aviation, hotel, etc. And we are always given the original tickets.

I have never seen that but I do know in my experience that the Celebrity confirmation will have the rack rate/Celebrity price and does not reflect the outside agents discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In case of a claim, how will you sue with an altered ticket?

Monitor the rates @ Celebrity web site and maybe you can cancel and give them the $100 for a better rate and service.

With transparency is how TA should conduct themselves. And original Celebrity, Plane, Hotel, etc. tickets must be provided. and in another document belonging to the agency, the credits and charges that are handled with them.

Our travel agent never touches our money, all charges to the card are made directly by the Cruise, aviation, hotel, etc. And we are always given the original tickets.

Of course there's no way to be sure we're talking about the same TA, but based on descriptions, I believe so. We get confirmations directly from Celebrity as well as from the agency. The agency never touches our money as all payments on our card are charged to Celebrity. We get original documentation from celebrity, plane , hotel and voucher tickets. In addition, we monitor our cruise prices on the Celebrity site and when we've seen a price drop they've been pleasant about getting the drops applied to our reservations. In some cases, the dropped price on Celebrity would necessitate a change in perks, but on those times the CS rep explained the choices and let me make the decision. On one cruise a $400 price drop to my concierge class reservation would have resulted in loss of $100 OBC, but if I upgraded to Aqua for the same drop I could keep all OBC. We upgraded to Aqua, paid $400 less than for Concierge and kept all perks...a no brainer. They even told me not to hesitate to call whenever I had a question about rates.

I think that this thread has come close to naming/identifying this agency throughout the thread. I thought that was against Cruise Critic rules.

Ddemon.. at no point has anyone named the agency. There has been speculation that others may have used the same agency, but they have not named anyone either. As far as I know, discussing TA's is perfectly fine as long as the names of agencies aren't used.