Venice: "Barri Gotic" neighborhood?

tyrannosaur

We have a cruise next summer and is looking to stay in Venice for a few nights to experience the Venetian charm. Is there an area with similar feel to the "Barri Gotic" of Barcelona? We stayed in Barri Gotic in Barcelona and really loved it. This forum has tons of useful info about hotels and where to stay, and I could not figure out which neighborhood would be similar to the "Barri Gotic", should I focus in San Marcos?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

I cannot even think of a valid way to compare Barcelona to Venice. Venice is an old city....everywhere! No matter where you stay in Venice, it will be interesting. Perhaps the most boring area is to stay right in the Piazzale Roma (which is where we often stay at the Ca Doge) since this is the one very commercial square with buses, cars (nearby), etc. Many would suggest trying to get a room with a canal view (there are lots of canals) but we prefer to simply opt for location (Piazzale Roma if taking a cruise.....anywhere if driving a car into town). When you start looking at Venice hotels it will quickly become apparent that there are huge price differences between properties....and this does drive a lot of decision breaking. You might want to simply take a look at the hotel rankings (pay attention to the first 30 or so) and carefully read the many comments posted by the real reviewers (the customers) where you will quickly discover the pros and cons of each property.

Just keep in mind that you must first be able to get to your hotel (with your luggage) and also to the port (with your luggage). In Venice that can present a real challenge...or become very expensive. There are many romantic properties....but many of them are difficult to access (when carrying luggage) unless you are willing to spend the big bucks (over 100€) on a private water taxi. If you plan on using public transportation (Vaporettos (ACTV) or the Alilaguna) you need to research your hotel location vis-a-vis the nearest stop....and plan accordingly. Keep in mind that walking in Venice often means going up and over pedestrian bridges....and this is made more difficult if dragging luggage.

Hank

Thanks for the replies. I like Barri Gotic for its old city with charming back streets, the proximity to the shops and restaurants, liveliness in the evenings, people watching, etc.. I plan to hire a water taxi to the hotel if access is an issue.

Thanks, that gives me a better idea of what you're looking for.

In a way, ALL of Venice proper is like the Barri Gotic, in the sense of having interesting architecture, winding streets, with the added fun of little canals with bridges around every corner. Actually I imagine Venice isn't much larger than the whole of the Barri Gotic.

While crowded during the day, Venice in the evening isn't as bustling as Barcelona. San Marco almost seems empty (of course, it's so large) and that area is not the most "happening" at night, with the exception of seeing the duelling orchestras on the piazza.

The area where we found the most going on in the evening was on both sides of Rialto bridge. Folks walking around; plenty of restaurants and shops.

If you don't pack excessively and you plan well, it's not too hard to get around Venice. We stayed at a great hotel about halfway between Rialto bridge and San Marco, on the Grand Canal. Key points -- it had both an Alilaguna stop (for transport to/from airport) and a vaporetto stop within a few yards of the front door of the hotel, and no bridges to cross with luggage.

Hi cruisemom42... Please share the name of the hotel you are referring to in Venice. Thanks!

Thanks, that gives me a better idea of what you're looking for.

In a way, ALL of Venice proper is like the Barri Gotic, in the sense of having interesting architecture, winding streets, with the added fun of little canals with bridges around every corner. Actually I imagine Venice isn't much larger than the whole of the Barri Gotic.

While crowded during the day, Venice in the evening isn't as bustling as Barcelona. San Marco almost seems empty (of course, it's so large) and that area is not the most "happening" at night, with the exception of seeing the duelling orchestras on the piazza.

The area where we found the most going on in the evening was on both sides of Rialto bridge. Folks walking around; plenty of restaurants and shops.

If you don't pack excessively and you plan well, it's not too hard to get around Venice. We stayed at a great hotel about halfway between Rialto bridge and San Marco, on the Grand Canal. Key points -- it had both an Alilaguna stop (for transport to/from airport) and a vaporetto stop within a few yards of the front door of the hotel, and no bridges to cross with luggage.

Hi cruisemom42... Please share the name of the hotel you are referring to in Venice. Thanks!

We stayed in Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo and absolutely loved it. Charming renovated palazzo, friendly staff, nice breakfast and perfect location.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d256010-Reviews-Sina_Palazzo_Sant_Angelo-Venice_Veneto.html

We have had really good luck with Best Westerns in Venice. We have stayed twice at the Ala, two palazzos put together, murano chandeliers, great breakfast, on a canal. A short two minute walk from the vaporetto with no bridges! Only problem is getting a room.

We also liked the Bisanzio and the area. Both are very close to San Marco but away from the touristy areas. The Bisanzio is close to both the alilaguna and vaporetto, and lots of good restaurants. They also have a two bedroom apartment where you still get the great hotel breakfast. It is also near the Biennale if you’re there in an odd numbered year.

We also like the Dorsoduro area, Cannaregio, and Castillo. Love, love Venice especially at night when the day trippers are gone.