Dress question for the ladies

spongerob

My wife is always cold about the ship, and has very few outfits suitable for formal evenings that provide enough warmth. Someone I work with has a beautiful fur stole for sale, cheap. Would this be a good gift, or would it look too gaudy and out of place? I would appreciate any advice from the ladies here. I've got just a few days to make up mind, or more correctly, have it made up for me.

Thanks.

You might want to post your question on the Fashion board.

I suppose a lot depends on where you're cruising. Might look out of place in the Caribbean, but would probably be fine in Northern Europe, Transatlantic, etc.

There's also the whole fur question -- some people might make negative comments. I don't have strong feelings either way, but I would personally not wear fur so as not to offend others.

I have to admit that I've never seen a fur stole on formal night on a cruise. Just like you don't see many in FL, it's unlikely it would "fit in" on a cruise.

A lovely silk shawl that you can use as a wrap or as a covering would look lovely and be very useful on a cruise. I have a beautiful black one that I bring that goes with anything I wear formal night and it provides enough warmth for almost any cruise (except perhaps Alaska, North Cape, New England after August, etc.)

I am certainly not a fashionista, but I've read that fur is in right now, when used in moderation. A fur coat would be overdoing it, but a fur stole would be very nice and I don't think it would be out of place on formal night. You do see a few women with fur stoles on formal night. The big question would be, does it match any of her formal night outfits? That partly depends on what color the stole is and what color her outfits are.

I think a fur stole sounds very 50's. I have the same problem as your DW, and I wear either a pashmina shawl or a hand-beaded shawl with my lighter weight formal wear.

P.S. I wouldn't wear fur myself, although I eat meat and wear leather. That's just my line in the sand, I suppose.

I have to agree with the suggestions for a shawl (something in pashmina or silk) rather than fur. The fur would probably be difficult to pack and would be awkward to manage when going to dinner or a show. I have a pashmina shawl that goes everywhere with me on a cruise at night. It's just warm enough and not at all bulky. If I don't need it, It hangs on the back of my chair and does not get in the way. Also, it doesn't take up much space in the suitcase. However, a good pashmina or silk shawl might cost more than a cheap fur. But, she'll get far more wear out of it.

Furs do not do well in high humidity. That's why people store them for the summer in cold storage. I gave my fur's to my sister because I just could not get past feeling funny when I wore them. My sister on the other hand does not feel the same and where's them often. I just can't see a woman wearing them on a caribbean cruise. I'd go for a beautiful shawl or pashmina.

S'Rob

I personally would stay away from the fur. i haven't seen a fur on any formal nights in 21 cruises. There are some really beautiful shawls in the stores now-just in time for parties for the holidays.

But.........Thank you for being such a wonderful husband.

Definitely the shawl/pashima. Less money so she could buy a few in different colors (black, white, etc.) to match her outfits.

If going on a west coast trip, I would definitely skip furs. I don't know anyone here who would still wear them. In fact when my sister was helping prepare a friend get ready for the Oscars about 15 years ago, one of the errands was checking out a fur salon to rent one. I suggested a boa instead. My sister later reported that her friend was glad she wore a boa and skipped the fur.

After sleeping on it, I agree with the consensus that a fur stole just seems out of date. I'm a sucker for a good deal, but it would be wasted money I think. The last time I tried choosing a clothing gift for my wife, it didn't work out terribly well. I think I'll stick to rocks that sparkle.

Thanks...:)

After sleeping on it, I agree with the consensus that a fur stole just seems out of date. I'm a sucker for a good deal, but it would be wasted money I think. The last time I tried choosing a clothing gift for my wife, it didn't work out terribly well. I think I'll stick to rocks that sparkle.

Thanks...:)

Wow..........that will definately work:) Could you give my hubby a call, there is still time!!!!! Have a great weekend Rob.

Linda

I love animals. I have three dogs.

Yet I wish sometimes that:

A. I lived somewhere cold enough to wear an elegant fur

and

B. There were any "formal enough" occasions in my life to wear fur.

Fur is just so..... luxurious.

I know, I know, some people think it's cruel. Perhaps they are right.

It is all so relative though.

I mean, I eat beef, chicken, pork and seafood. I even (gasp) eat pork rhinds. My eggs I buy are probably from chickens crammed into little cages. The pork chops probably came from poor piggies raised in tiny little pens with no where to turn about.

And the shrimp, (poor little shrimp), ripped from the ocean in a terrible net only to be boiled alive!! ;)

None of this knowledge stops me from enjoying my food, or wearing my favorite leather boots.

I would definitely wear fur if I lived somewhere appropriate.

On a cruise to the Caribbean, however.... well, probably not. :D

Rob, I think you made a wise choice. The place she is probably the coldest is in the dining room. It always seems to be over-air-conditioned. It would seem awkward to try to hold onto a fur stole, keep from getting food on it, and get food into your mouth all at the same time. As far as comments go, no one is going to make on out loud, but to themselves they would think a fur stole is a little strange. If any of you watched "Daddy's little Rich Girl" or something like that on WE, this episode has the father daughter team (who we know personally, by the way), in Dolce&Gabanna, buying a stole to go with her evening dress.

There is a reason why they say what a girl's best friend is, so you're right on that count, but it wouldn't be bad to add a black pashmina, or some type of shawl, as an extra.

Archived