What is a "typical" extra tip for a good cabin steward?

nanseev

It really depends on the interaction with the room steward and the length of the cruise, We like to prepay the service charge or gratuities, or have them paid for as a perk, so anything extra is purely for service that was above and beyond. ie. once it was $100 for a 7 night cruise for special treatment and organising a balcony party, sometimes it was only $20 for a 14 night cruise, due to no interaction at all.

Nanseev,

As you can see from reading this thread .... tipping is personal and can vary from "I expect good service ... no tip unless its extra-special" to "here's a few hundred $$$ for being such a nice host".

You get to decide how special of an impact you would like to make on their life and family. It's your decision.

Personally, we cruise a LOT and the Butlers, stateroom attendants, guest services crew, Hotel Manager, and Captains ... all remember us. They treat us like extended family and it's quite obvious that they really like it when we decide to cruise with them again. EVERY single cruise we have crew members that we have met on previous cruises search us out and thank us for cruising with them again ... we laugh, tell jokes, and talk about our families (and not just the crew members we have tipped well).

We treat the crew the way we would want to be treated. We tip well (sometimes very, very well). and ALWAYS mention someone who has been special by name on the guest satisfaction survey at the end of the cruise. They read every comment and remember you when you mention them in the guest satisfaction survey.

For us ... a part of cruising that is so special is the service. And great service comes to those people who really treat the crew nicely, say "thank you", tip well, and rave about good service to corporate management.

-- Don

I always leave give an extra $20 to the room steward. I keep the cabin spotless and we generally only require clean towels. I've left more on occasion, simply because I've seen the condition of other cabins assigned to our steward. The cabin door has been open and I honestly couldn't see how the steward was able to even get around in the cabin. The stewards have a very tight schedule for cleaning each of the cabins. Why would anyone make such a mess for someone to clean around? I figure if my cabin is kept tidy, this makes their job easier. Besides, I just can't stand the mess in the cabin. I don't understand walking by and seeing these messy cabins.

Been on more than 8 cruises (short 7 day cruises) an personally never felt the service received warranted more than an extra $20. Usually in a typical hotel I'll do $2-3 a day so that is what I do on a ship. Since the daily gratuity already charged hasn't always been clear as to how it's divided from line to line. Been on some ships (MSC) where even with the auto tips kept on when we gave the steward cash they handed it over to someone above them - Not sure how much of that extra they got, all the stewards asked just said "they collect it for us". Whose to say they get it all back. Our steward didn't even open the envelope to see the amount.

Praise is very nice and can help towards a promotion, but its cash that they need.

Praise on comments cards go a lot further than cash does for promotions which leads to more money, however, both is still good. Leave the auto tips on and fill out the comment cards and they win both ways. A little extra (if warranted) is even better for them.

I always leave give an extra $20 to the room steward. I keep the cabin spotless and we generally only require clean towels. I've left more on occasion, simply because I've seen the condition of other cabins assigned to our steward. The cabin door has been open and I honestly couldn't see how the steward was able to even get around in the cabin. The stewards have a very tight schedule for cleaning each of the cabins. Why would anyone make such a mess for someone to clean around? I figure if my cabin is kept tidy, this makes their job easier. Besides, I just can't stand the mess in the cabin. I don't understand walking by and seeing these messy cabins.

I have never felt that I should tip extra because other people make a mess in their rooms. I am not responsible for them.

• Like 1

Yes go to GS and get your entire family fill out appreciation forms,these forms go back to the supervisor and are displayed in staff quarters,after achieving a certain amount they are given reward time off in ports. many staff members have never stepped foot on some of the ports the ship docks at weekly.

Money is just money and its hardly ever fully appreciated unless its desperately needed. Cruieline staff are not desperate for money they are just saving it so your extra cash tip will just be "bean counted" into a savings balance.

I never knew this!! Will definitely keep this in mind on my upcoming cruise

Sent from my iPhone

We must have really over tipped. We left $100 for the Family Suite (8 people) $50 for the Jr Suite (2 people). Waiter $300, Asst. Waiter $150 and Concierge $100. We ate in the dining room 5 of the 7 nights and our waiter and asst. were excellent and service was superb. We were on the Christmas sailing on Liberty and had a great time! Can't wait to be at sea again!

Good for you. Not unreasonable for 10 people, in my world. If you can afford it, DO IT! That's my philosophy (even if I cannot afford the amounts you can). Worked in the service industry, and got US minimum wage. Karma will bless your generosity.

Good for you. Not unreasonable for 10 people, in my world. If you can afford it, DO IT! That's my philosophy (even if I cannot afford the amounts you can). Worked in the service industry, and got US minimum wage. Karma will bless your generosity.

Wonder if those amounts were on top of the auto gratuities, if they weren't then they definitely under tipped.

Yes go to GS and get your entire family fill out appreciation forms,these forms go back to the supervisor and are displayed in staff quarters,after achieving a certain amount they are given reward time off in ports. many staff members have never stepped foot on some of the ports the ship docks at weekly.

Money is just money and its hardly ever fully appreciated unless its desperately needed. Cruieline staff are not desperate for money they are just saving it so your extra cash tip will just be "bean counted" into a savings balance.

My understanding is that they don’t get paid very much so they rely on tips for that extra cushion. They literally work every single day of their contract (4-8 months depending) for usually 10 hours/day. Their only time off is the

the time they’re not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Had one lass working the Café from 5am til 10 am, 2 hours off, then 12-2.30pm in the MDR, 2 1/2 hours off, then 5pm -11pm in the MDR. Every day, 7 days a week. A very hard life.

This highlights how hard the crew work and further evidence that everyone should leave their autogratuities on their cruise account.

• Like 1

This highlights how hard the crew work and further evidence that everyone should leave their autogratuities on their cruise account.

Agreed, this lass was absolutely lovely and deserved every extra tip she got. In the mornings she would keep our muffins aside (if they were running low) so that we could get our breakfast and coffees. No matter where we sat in the MDR (Select Dining), a Bailey's would show up after dessert, she always managed to find us, even when we were in the specialty restaurants. Service above and beyond.