Visiting Mendenhall Glacier - group of 9 easy & affordable

abaci

We will be in Juneau in mid-June from 7:00 am to 9:30 pm. We are group of six adults and 3 children (ages 4,3 &1) Our plan is head over to Mendenhall Glacier and at a minimum walk to Nugget Falls. I have a question regarding getting their without taking one of the blue or white shuttle/tour buses. It appears we could take the Capital Transit bus route 3/4 for $2 per adult. However, looking at Google maps it looks like the closest bus stop is the Mendenhall Loop Road (Dredge Lake) stop which is about a half hour walk to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center (making the ride and walk about 1.5 hours). Is this the closest stop? I'm also looking at taking a taxi as it it appears that will take about a half hour and drop us off right at the visitor center. I've read that 7 passenger taxis are available and I'd assume would work with our group as we can just have a couple kids on laps. What is the estimated cost for taking a taxi from cruise port to the glacier? I found a taxi estimator and it says just under $45, but is this accurate as I couldn't enter the number of passengers?

Once at the glacier the plan is to take the short Photo Point Trail and then walk to Nugget Falls. Is the trail for Nugget Falls the East Glacier Trail? I'm assuming so looking at Google maps. IT appears like this is a fairly easy hike and will be more then doable with the kids and a couple of strollers. From what I can tell West Glacier Trail for getting right up to the glacier would be too difficult with kids and strollers, correct? Once at the visitor center or Nugget Falls area is there anything else we should do add to the list for the glacier?

Additionally, I'm thinking on the way back we can stop at the DIPAC Macaulay Hatcher before walking or catching a ride back to port area. Is the closes bus stop to DIPAC the one neare the corner of Hospital Drive & Salmon Creek Lane? Is it possible to walk from DIPAC to the cruise port (does not appear on Google maps)? I know it's about 4 miles but if we have the time (assuming everyone in our group want to walk it) it could be a decent walk along the water.

Finally, I'm curious if there is anything affordable and good for the kids we should look at in Juneau? I appreciate any and all help with the above questions. I'm most interested in taxi estimate cost and carrying 9 of us. Sorry for the long post, but I've done a fair amount of research and hitting a few walls and didn't want to do multiple posts.

I would look at renting a mini-van from Juneau Car Rental http://www.juneaucarrentals.com That would probably be the most economical way for your large group to get around. It would also let you be completely flexible with what you want to do - no waiting around for a taxi or having to walk extra distances to a bus stop. Juneau Car Rental is near the AJ Dock - send one person after the car while everyone else waits at or on the ship. You have plenty of port time to do more than just go to Mendenhall so having your own wheels should be a great investment! On the way to Mendenhall you pass a large (and nice) Fred Meyer supercenter - they have a whole aisle of inexpensive Alaska/Juneau souvenirs plus anything else you might need. Good luck!

Hi there! We traveled with our 6 year old son last year, so I can help you out with a few of your questions...

First, I second the recommendation for Juneau Car Rental and a minivan. We rented a sedan from them in Juneau and it was super economical. I think we paid @ $45 total. Juneau is easy to navigate on your own with Google Maps or the like. This is by far your least expensive and easiest transportation option, and give you maximum flexibility.

I can’t help you on the Mendenhall hiking trails - Mendenhall was closed the day we were there because of criminal activity in the park. It completely messed up our plans :)

As far as DIPAC - go!! The kids will absolutely love it. And it’s the least expensive and most fun kid activity we did in the whole two weeks. Our son watched the jumping salmon for almost an hour! And the touch tanks inside are great.

I would NOT recommend walking back from DIPAC with the kids. The road (it’s pretty much one road the whole way) is busy, with lots of cars and tour busses. I can’t specifically remember if there are sidewalks, but my intuition would say there are not for most of the way.

That being said, if you rent the minivan and drive back, stop before the port as the water & rocky beach are on your right hand side and you can sit and watch the float planes and helicopters take off and land. Is magical - AND FREE!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm another that will suggest that will fit everyone, without any "lap kids". including 2 if necessary. You have ALL day and you can really fill the day with multiple options.

You are misreading the Mendenhall trails. East Loop is NOT Nugget FALLS, Nugget CREEK is off East Loop and is not suitable for casual walkers.

Actually strollers are going to be a big challenge with Nugget Falls, it is gravel, and not even. The only paved easily accessible trail is Photo Point. Will be challenging with heavier kids and strollers, especially if you tend to load then down with all your "stuff". Was there 3 times this past season, and saw this struggle every trip, on Nugget Falls and Trail of Time. One set of parents actually were carrying the stroller. At the Hatchery you are outside the salmon run, it is a small facility. You are underestimating the "walk" distance. It is along a busy highway. In Juneau there is the Juneau Douglas Museum and Alaska State Museum. With a car you can add Douglas Island, Chapel on the Lake, St Theresa's Shrine, Eagle Beach, Glacier Gardens, etc etc etc. :)

Another thing that you can do with strollers at Mendenhall is the boardwalk trail by Steep Creek which can give you a chance to see wild life. In August there, I saw a trio of bear cubs waiting for mom to return. I'm not sure what can be seen there in June. Steep Creek is across the parking lot from the visitor center.

Thanks for the quick replies. I was unaware of Juneau Car Rental Company and will call tomorrow (or Tuesday if closed for New Years) to ask about a van. This would be the best bet and hopefully they are a great price as I stopped looking when Avis was over $225 (incl tax) for just a car. I will look into the other trail at Mendenhall too. Thanks again for the quick replies as I try to figure this out for such a large group (normally it's just my family of three).

If the van rental seems high, the shuttle bus that takes you to the visitor center costs approx. $40-45 round trip. It leaves near the cruise ship dock. Not sure how much children cost. It does include the $7.00 visitor fee. If you have a National Park Pass, you can use this to get in. Many people are staying that a taxi is becoming the cheaper way to go, because they keep raising the fare.

We are also renting from Juneau Car Rentals. Even though it is just my DH and I, we like the flexibility of being able to do what we want to do at our leisure. The car is super affordable and the gal I worked with was so friendly. We plan to do the glacier although we have not decided on which route we will take once we are there. We will also go to the shrine and then use a map and plan out the rest of our day. We love being able to stop to see what we want to see without being at the mercy of anyone else.

They are super affordable and the people we talked to were super nice (a gentleman answered the phone on Jan 1st and then after answering all my questions said they were closed for the holiday). We are planning on also going to Eagle Beach and DIPAC Salmon Hatchery for sure.

Sent from my XT1049 using Forums mobile app

We rented a van with Juneau Car Rental. It was $135 including all taxes. Very affordable as split between the 3 families it's only $35. And of course we can see more than mendenhall

A feature of Juneau Car rental to keep in mind, is the location. It's most convenient if you are at the AJ dock. If you aren't, it's over a mile away. from the other 3 docks. So know all your details. :)

It also isn't that bad of an idea to also consider the airport. There is an express bus, that timed right (runs only once/hour) can work out at significant savings. I ended up with a rental under $20 in August using the airport instead of AJ, had used both vendors there this past season as well. Juneau Car Rental and Avis. (3 trips)

We are going to Mendenhall Glacier on a Princess Tour. Cost $44 per person. May cost a little more but sure eliminates all of the hassle described above. Will be at the glacier for 2.5 hours.
What hassle? Walking or taking a taxi max 1.5 miles, depending on which dock, then having a car for 10+ plus hours to see Juneau and not just a glacier for a few hours. With 3 couples (9 people) we can drive to the end of the road North and South for the cost of 3 people to see only the glacier. For me that's really not a hassle and I can spend a few minutes or hours getting it all figured out, including what stops to make with the rental. To each their own though

What hassle? Walking or taking a taxi max 1.5 miles, depending on which dock, then having a car for 10+ plus hours to see Juneau and not just a glacier for a few hours. With 3 couples (9 people) we can drive to the end of the road North and South for the cost of 3 people to see only the glacier. For me that's really not a hassle and I can spend a few minutes or hours getting it all figured out, including what stops to make with the rental. To each their own though

Don't forget you will have entry fees that are included with tours.

Tours can work very well for some people.

Don't forget you will have entry fees that are included with tours.

Tours can work very well for some people.

We have 7 in our party and would like to visit Mendenhall as well as taking a whale watching tour with a local operator such as Harv & Marv. Which would be the best option regarding transport for us and in what order? TIA ;).

We have 7 in our party and would like to visit Mendenhall as well as taking a whale watching tour with a local operator such as Harv & Marv. Which would be the best option regarding transport for us and in what order? TIA ;).

What is your port time? I'd suggest a car rental in most cases, since it offers you a lot more. You'd simply drive to both the whale watch and Mendenahall. There may be parking fees involved with whale watches depending on what marina, and of course the Mendenhall Glacier entrance fee. But this saves a lot of time, since both "tours" if booked, start and end at the downtown docks.

What is your port time? I'd suggest a car rental in most cases, since it offers you a lot more. You'd simply drive to both the whale watch and Mendenahall. There may be parking fees involved with whale watches depending on what marina, and of course the Mendenhall Glacier entrance fee. But this saves a lot of time, since both "tours" if booked, start and end at the downtown docks.

9am until 10pm in late August, so we are hoping to see bears, salmon and whales at this time of year (obviously not all in Juneau :D). Haines will be a first for us; any recommendations while we are there?

9am until 10pm in late August, so we are hoping to see bears, salmon and whales at this time of year (obviously not all in Juneau :D). Haines will be a first for us; any recommendations while we are there?

Haines, absolutely get a car rental. good chance of bears there in the Chilkoot River, do multiple trips back and forth to the Lake. :) Murray also has a road guide.