Best excusion in Ketchikan?

james'mommy

Looking for something to do in Ketchikan. We will be there in late June on the Celebrity Millie. I already have whale watching in another stop booked. 2 middle aged adults and a 15 year old. No limitations. Not looking to spend a ton of money. Any advice would be welcome. TIA.

There are numerous tours, First - have you looked at your shore excursion list? You need to narrow down your interests and have a reasonable list of choices. Your question is way to general and has endless "answers". :)

There is no "best", which is entirely subjective. Rave reviews about most tours.

A couple of years about I did the

Bering Sea Crab Fishing excursion which was great. They have lots of information about the history of the boat and a very outgoing. They bring up a pod which on our trip had various sea life. The part I liked the best was the they stop at location where there are a lot of eagles which circle the ship and dive into the water. Lastly it is a bit expensive but well worth it.

We enjoyed Ketchikan diy. A walk around town including Creek Street, Southeast Alaska Discovery Center ($5 a person, IIRC, or free with National Park pass), & Totem Heritage Center plus taking a taxi out to Totem Bight for a walk through the forest path with Totem poles to visit.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

There are numerous tours, First - have you looked at your shore excursion list? You need to narrow down your interests and have a reasonable list of choices. Your question is way to general and has endless "answers". :)

There is no "best", which is entirely subjective. Rave reviews about most tours.

Celebrity has horrible website. I am currently locked out of my cruise planner and every time I try and reset my password it takes me to search for a cruise. And there I can't actually search for a cruise or access the shore excursions available. In general I book with outside companies.

Celebrity has horrible website. I am currently locked out of my cruise planner and every time I try and reset my password it takes me to search for a cruise. And there I can't actually search for a cruise or access the shore excursions available. In general I book with outside companies.

This should help:

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/en/Things-To-Do/Tours-Sightseeing

Enjoy researching!

Not sure of your budget since "a ton of money" is $500 pp to some and & $ 100 pp to others. The Bering Sea Crab Tour at $ 179 pp is a mid-priced option (by Alaska standards) and would probably appeal to the 15 yo and gets great reviews.

We did the 2.25 hour Ketchikan Kayaking tour with Southeast Sea Kayaks and enjoyed it. The last price I saw was $ 93 pp. They offer other tours that are longer and more expensive.

We also walked Creek Street, Married Man's Trail and saw the Fish Ladder. These are all free, easy walking and can be done in a couple of hours.

Ketchikan is a good place to shop for souvenirs as well. There are several stores with many options and reasonable prices. The Alaska Jackets are especially popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don't need to access Celebrities.

All cruise lines have lists- so check any of the others. This list option, will offer you the ability to narrow your interests. Which goes a long way towards making the right choice for you.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

Looking for something to do in Ketchikan. We will be there in late June on the Celebrity Millie. I already have whale watching in another stop booked. 2 middle aged adults and a 15 year old. No limitations. Not looking to spend a ton of money. Any advice would be welcome. TIA.

Definitely consider taking a Zodiak motorized mini-boat trip if you're outdoorsy and adventurous.. Yes, you can drive it!! Ketchikan Outdoors is who we used. Fabulous.

Check out Southeast Sea Kayaks tours. There are many to choose from and they are wonderful. We did one with them and were the only two people, so it was a private tour. Were lucky enough to see a humpback quite close up to the kayaks too!

I'm into DIY, so I'm tentatively planning to use the public buses and my two feet to see a lot while there. I've read there's a free shuttle bus that goes past the port and around the city, although the frequency isn't great. There's apparently also a public bus for $2 that goes to Totem Bight in 35 minutes (it's not right in town). There's also a bus to Saxman Village, a little closer.

Of course what I really want to do is take a flight over the Misty Fjords, but that will be expensive, and combined with other things I'd like to do in Alaska, may be out of my price range. There's also a zipline opportunity near Ketchikan, but I suppose that's expensive.

Thanks for the Ketchikan links. I'm going to visit those. I have also gotten a book from the library, Alaska by Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond, that is helping me figure out what to do in various ports. I also downloaded the free guide on tomsportguides.com

Apparently there's a tourist info center right on the cruise dock, just in case you don't pre-book anything.

We are going to do the Bering Sea Crab Fishing excursion. I have read lots of great things about it and thi we will really enjoy it.

Good choice..we've done this private tour twice...Book directly on their website and get to their boat (Aleutian Ballad) early on your own to get great seats (upper middle area on main deck)....before the cruiseline excursions arrive.

One of my very favorite ever cruise excursions was out of Ketchikan, and we did it on our first Alaskan Cruise. It's the float and fly of the Misty Fjords. Catamaran for 2-3 hours up the fjords, then in the "middle of nowhere" stopped at a dock and got on a float plane for the return flight back to Ketchikan.

It was the last trip of the day, and the pilot asked if we minded if he took a little extra time to show us some of his favorite sites. 6-person plane, landing back on the water in Ketchikan's port. Truly amazing!!!